spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Duffman667

@mchsi.com

Generic Questions about CenturyLink DSL

Hi everyone. My name is Matt and I am a Network Admin at a little community health center. I just had a question regarding a new business service I am having setup in Hollister Missouri. I spoke with Centurylinks business support and they couldn't give me any straight answers. Basically I ordered a static external IP and the IP address they gave me is the exact same as the Gateway they provided. Is this normal with Centurylink? The tech also told me even though they provided a Static IP that I would need to set my firewall up using DHCP on the WAN interface (I am bridging my modem). So I assume they use DHCP reservation for their static IP's? He didn't seem to know what that was so I would like some clarification. Thanks in advance for any help.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

You might need to set the modem into "Bridge mode" where it acts as a dumb DSL to Ethernet connection then use PPoE on your router with your login and password.

This will bypass the DHCP server on the modem they sent and allow your equipment to be in charge of all DHCP addressing.

I do this currently at home so i can use my slingbox reliably and have been using the same setup on my 40/5 connection for quite some time with no issues.

Duffman667

@myvzw.com

Thanks for the response. My plan is to use the bridge mode on the modem so my firewall handles all my internal DHCP and NAT functions. My issue is they said my "static" external IP address would be automatically assigned once I initiated a PPPoE session from my firewall. Through what I assume is a DHCP Reservation. Anyway they have my static external IP and external gateway as the exact same IP address and I just don't see how that is possible. Basically they said my firewall will have IP 66.112.112.112 and its gateway is also 66.112.112.112(not the real IP obviously lol). Obviously I am not very skilled in DSL and the phone support has been less than helpful. One person I talked to didn't even know what bridge mode was.

Expand your moderator at work

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Duffman667

Re: Generic Questions about CenturyLink DSL

That's correct, the modem will take whatever IP is associated with your PPoE login until it's put into bridge mode, then it will not have an IP address at all as it's just acting as a dumb DSL to Ethernet bridge.

Currently it's handing your DHCP, so it's using your PPoE info to gain an internet connection, thus getting your Static IP address. Just put it into bridge mode then it will no longer have an IP address.