how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lanelander

join:2013-05-18

2 edits

WOW mg5225g/na Gateway Ports will not open

I have been a WOW customer for a few years and decided last week to go Ultra. Had I known about the MAJOR issues with this system I would have never done it. Issues I face are as follows

* Intermittent wireless connection when more than 6 wireless connections made.
* Cable boxes go black at times (on 3rd box and one is offline completely)
* No ports are able to forward through Gateway.
* DMZ does not function
when 4 wireed connections are made it limits wireless traffic.

I should state that previous to this I was running a DGL-4500 behind their modem with NO issues what so ever. I was happy with the speeds and the ability to forward what ever ports I wanted at will.

I am on my 3rd box in a week and I have a Lead Tech now coming to the house with a New box. He is also try to tell me that the Arris Gateway does not allow you to forward ports by design. I find this hard to believe due to the support from so many forums out there of people that can do it.

If any of you have had issues like mine can please suggest your resolution? I am open to anything at the moment.

gatownsend

join:2003-04-26
Westlake, OH
I forward ports for my Belkin @TV (same thing as a sling box) without any trouble. I did have to assign a static ip to the @TV box in order for it to work. It didn't work when I let dhcp assign the ip to the @TV. Upnp couldn't keep the ports pointing to the correct IP address.

If you haven't, try assigning a static ip to whatever it is you want to port-forward to and see if that helps.

~Gary

lanelander

reply to lanelander
Gary,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that with the Installer here. Yes he was here and did not know about that either but we tried it with no effect. Port scans timed out "Timeout (Blocked)".
Then I decided to turn off my windows firewall. The port scan came back as off. To me that is an improvement. Considering that it opened the 3389 port on the common port scans from whatmyip.org.

I am on the phone again with CS at WOW about other issues that popped up. they are trying on their end to see if they can resolve it.

I have my fingers crossed. So far no port forwarding.

lanelander

reply to lanelander
Well they were going to send out the installation team to check the switches that connect me to the local hub. Apparently they decided that it was too much work. Received a call from WOW this morning Stating that they are kicking this issue to Engineering. This is up their neck of the woods anyway.

Things we know are ok so far.
* My router and machines behind it. They were operational prior to Ultra.
* Wiring from the pole to the gateway. (They replaced it all)
* The NOC (Although I am not sure of some of their Staff)

What is unclear and we are unable to check.
* The gateway to see if anyone else has this issue. Most people only care that they get internet not that it functions the wright way.

A couple screen shots

Before I turned off Windows Firewall

After

I would like to state that I did not have 3389 set as a port forward. What I did was take the machines IP and set it in the DMZ. In Theory I should sell all of them open.

lanelander

1 edit
reply to lanelander
Taking this back old school. Doing a factory reset on My Router to get a clean set up.

In the Media gateway from WOW I have set a simple port trigger for port 80.

80 is now open.

Thing is that when I do the same thing for any other port they are still closed.

Tired or trying now it is affecting service in the rest of the house. only ports able to forward are 21, 80, and 3389.

gatownsend

Westlake, OH
reply to lanelander
I see you mentioned your old router. How do you have that set up? As an access point for wireless, or was it still configured as a router? If it was still configured as a router and was between your PC and the UltraTV gateway you were double-natted, which is likely playing a part in why you are having difficulty opening ports.

~Gary

jkowols

join:2013-05-06
Mount Prospect, IL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to lanelander
After several failed attempts, I currently have 5 IP cameras that I can view from outside my home network. Each camera has a static IP address and a different port number. The WOW Port Forwarding instructions tell you to add the IP address and MAC address to the Fixed IP address table in the LAN section of the router, however I have found that they rarely stick to that list. The next step is to add them to the Virtual Server list under the Firewall tab. For each camera, the port # is the same for internal and external access

After a recent reset & software upgrade to the Gateway, I had to enter the cameras again to the Virtual Server list. I skipped the Fixed IP address step and entered the IP addresses and port #'s to the Virtual Server list with no problems and everything seems to be working.

I do not use the Ultra TV gateway for my wireless. I have a separate wireless router, acting as an AP, for my wireless. The gateway is in the crawl space and the coverage is very poor from there.

SCSIraidGURU

join:2013-05-24
Saint Clair Shores, MI
I was considering the same setup. I just upgraded my Internet to 30/3. The Arris modem WOW gave me is setup as in bridge mode with wireless turned off. It passes the WAN information to my DGL-4500. The DGL-4500 only has DHCP for smart phones and laptops. Everything else is hard set static IP: Smart TVs, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, workstations, printers. Everything that can be wired is wired. I use the DGL-4500 QoS rules for traffic shaping and priority. It does take time to configure on the DGL-4500 but worth it. Remember to save the changes and keep them safe. You don't want to redo your 4500 again. Everything goes into the DGL-4500 and I use the Arris as just the bridge to the internet. I left the firewall on the Arris on. It protects the front door.

Highest 1 lowest 128
Netflix, Amazon Prime: Smart TV IPs to their IP addresses, Xbox 360 IP to their IP addresses.
Sprint Airave device for cell phone traffic
Xbox gaming
Wii gaming

Web traffic from workstations and laptops port 80, 443

E-mail ports 25, 995, etc.
Blu-ray and HD-DVD upgrades online

I use static IP on all device so I can do point to point traffic rules. I leave a block 192.168.x.5 to 192.168.x.45 for wireless devices DHCP. My 4500 can list each static IP by device name.

DGL-4500 can do all the work.

SCSIraidGURU

Saint Clair Shores, MI
Ultra TV cannot run as a bridge to the DGL-4500.

lanelander

reply to gatownsend
Double NAT is not the issue never was. the ARRIS will not forward ports.

lanelander

reply to jkowols
Thanks for this we tested it and it did not work.

lanelander

reply to SCSIraidGURU
yes I know. Wow refuses to release that firmware.

gatownsend

Westlake, OH
reply to lanelander
said by lanelander:

Double NAT is not the issue never was. the ARRIS will not forward ports.

I am forwarding ports on mine and not having any problems.

~Gary

lanelander

Do you have ULTRA TV? Are you in Illinois in this territory? Does your firmware allow Bridging? You are missing the point. Mine will not work. 5 technicians and 4 ultra TV boxes and ports are not forwarding.

SCSIraidGURU

Saint Clair Shores, MI
After considering UltraTV and talking to a few techs, I decided to do another HD DVR and HD reciever boxes. WOW is not releasing the full retail firmware from Arris that allows us to do everything. You can't use the device as a bridge to my DGL-4500. You can't port forward for access to internal devices.

It took me a few e-mails to get WOW to enable eSATA on HD DVRs.

lanelander

reply to lanelander
OK, Status update for this.

I was privileged the get a release of the Bridged software for the Arris. Also select installation instructions for completing this task.

Due to vacations and work I was only able to complete all the testing necessary over the last week. What I have been able to conclude is the following

If you do not need any special needs as far as internet is concerned, or you want to watch and record in multiple rooms the ULTRA package is for you.

If you want to control the router portion of the Arris Media Server there is a small chance that you will not be able to control it.

DMZ setting in the Arris router does not actually allow all ports open.

I am really tempted to return this and revert to something that actually works, Like Comcast, or ATT.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by lanelander:

I am really tempted to return this and revert to something that actually works, Like Comcast, or ATT.

Some AT&T U-verse residential gateways have similar problems.

ISPs generally dumb things down for the majority of consumers who are not very tech savvy. Easier, cheaper to support for most users. Royal PITA for the handful who know how to take control (if the hardware/firmware permits).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum