spc
uniqs
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

1 edit

tomdlgns

Premium Member

Re: DynDNS now requires monthly login - alternative?

the namecheap recommendation is almost exactly what i want, thank you.

i can use my own domain and each location will be a subdomain.

i will have to install the namecheap ddns client on a PC at each location, but that isn't a big deal, each location currently has the dyndns client running on a PC and in the router (for a backup in case one of the two freeze/lock up [it has happened before]).

what i dont like (but not a big deal)

- i didnt move my domain, so my name servers say freedns1, freedns2, etc...

- their client doesnt auto sense an IP change, you have to select a time value from the drop down menu.

edit- i am running pfsense at home and just saw that namecheap was one of the providers in the dynamic dns section. i didnt see a time value for updating via pfsense, does this happen automatically when pfsense is assigned a new dynamic IP from the ISP?

thanks.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by tomdlgns:

the namecheap recommendation is almost exactly what i want, thank you.

i can use my own domain and each location will be a subdomain.

i will have to install the namecheap ddns client on a PC at each location, but that isn't a big deal, each location currently has the dyndns client running on a PC and in the router (for a backup in case one of the two freeze/lock up [it has happened before]).

what i dont like (but not a big deal)

- i didnt move my domain, so my name servers say freedns1, freedns2, etc...

- their client doesnt auto sense an IP change, you have to select a time value from the drop down menu.

edit- i am running pfsense at home and just saw that namecheap was one of the providers in the dynamic dns section. i didnt see a time value for updating via pfsense, does this happen automatically when pfsense is assigned a new dynamic IP from the ISP?

thanks.

I like the namecheap alternative. I have had namecheap as my registrar for a while now and this is nice because I can just use a subdomain for my home account.

As for the time value for updating the client, I set mine for every 15 minutes. My IP did change and I was only down for about 4 minutes before the time value kicked in.

Another alternative I am using is my router's built in Dynamic DNS client. My ASUS router has the option for creating a free dynamic DNS subdomain with an asuscom.com domain I believe. I only tested it but it worked very well.

I can't believe that dyndns is going this route. Very disappointing.
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear CM600

hardly to tomdlgns

Premium Member

to tomdlgns
Registrar eNom also offers this:

»www.enom.com/help/faq_dy ··· cdns.asp