spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

caspurr6

join:2013-05-18

Can someone please help with riding lawnmower issue...urgent

Hello, the other day I was out mowing the lawn and my riding lawn mower ran out of gas. I went and got the gas can and filled the tank half way up. I tried to start the engine and it wouldn't turn over. It was somewhat cranking however (although it was slow cranking, and would start and then stop), so I thought maybe it just needed to get fuel back in it. After cranking it for a lil while it started to smoke by the starter, and had a funny smell. I pushed the lawnmower into the barn and ordered a new starter. Today the starter came in so I went and pulled the flywheel, took the old starter off, put the new one on, put the flywheel back on and tried it again, it now cranks fine again, but still isn't turning over. We have put a new battery in, new spark plugs, new air filter...and of course the new starter. Is there something I am missing? Is there something special we need to do since we took the flywheel off? Does anyone have any idea why it still won't turn over, not even with starting fluid sprayed into the air intake? It is a 18HP briggs and stratton engine, twin cylinder, in a Wizard (which i think is Murray) tractor. PLEASE HELP my lawn is in desperate need of being mowed!!!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by caspurr6:

Today the starter came in so I went and pulled the flywheel, took the old starter off, put the new one on, put the flywheel back on and tried it again, it now cranks fine again, but still isn't turning over.

How is it cranking fine if it won't turn over? Is the starter spinning the motor if so it's turning over but not starting.

caspurr6

Alright I appologize if I have used the wrong terms. It is spinning fine, but just isnt starting. Prior to replacing the starter it was only doing half turns, now it is fully spinning how it should, but it isn't actually starting.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Have you checked for spark to the plugs?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to caspurr6
My neighbor filled his mower with string trimmer gas. Wouldn't start...

Try some new, fresh gas, after draining the gas that is in there now.

caspurr6

reply to Juggernaut
No, other than buying and installing 2 brand new plugs I haven't checked for spark, I do not know how to do that.

caspurr6

1 recommendation

reply to John Galt
It was running fine using the same gas (I filled it with the same gas from the same can that I was running before I ran out) so I don't think that's what it is. But if all else fails I can give that a try also!

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to caspurr6
Pull a plug and connect it back to the spark plug wire. Hold the plug solidly to the engine block and crank the engine. The plug should spark.

caspurr6

heading out to try that now, will brb!

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

reply to robbin
said by robbin:

CAREFULLY hold the plug solidly to the engine block and crank the engine.

Otherwise, hilarity ensues.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
Which just means that there is a good spark!

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to John Galt
As does some cussing...

caspurr6

reply to robbin
ok, both are sparking fine. One was wet with gas, the other smelled like gas but didn't seem to be wet...not sure if that actually matters, but just thought i would add that

caspurr6

also want to add that when its turning over there is sputtering in the carb...again no idea if thats relevant or not, but thought i would add it

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to caspurr6
Is the the first mow of the season?

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to caspurr6
Do a compression test and then if you have compression there is probably a problem with the carb.

caspurr6

1 recommendation

reply to John Galt
Second, we have about 3 acres. I mowed 1/2 the yard, and then was working on the 2nd half when this all started. I got about half done the 2nd half when the issues began.

caspurr6

reply to robbin
how do you do a compression test?

caspurr6

is it at all possible that removing the flywheel is whats causing this? Is there anything i need to do after reinstalling it?

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to caspurr6
said by caspurr6:

how do you do a compression test?

It takes a tool you can get at the auto parts. You take out the spark plugs, screw the compression gauge into a cylinder and then crank it over a number of times. The gauge will measure the compression in the cylinder.

caspurr6

alright, will look into getting that and trying that out. We live an hour away from an auto parts store, any suggestions we can try before that, or would you just suggest we take our happy arses to the nearest auto store to try that first?

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Honestly, I would just bring it in for service, and let the mechanic know what you did to it so far.

caspurr6

I'd rather try to do as much as I can on my own...I don't know much, but I am technically inclined enough that some basic instruction and I can pretty much do it on my own. At least up until a certain point anyways, and then I would certainly bring it in somewhere. I don't want to have to load this thing up and take it an hour away for something I could do myself, you know what I mean?

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to caspurr6
I'm just not sure that running out of gas was the original problem. It's hard to advise on troubleshooting with your limited knowledge of engine repair. That is with no offense intended.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to caspurr6
Just trying some other things now...

Loosen the gas cap ever so slightly then try to start. The cap vent might be plugged and you are drawing a vacuum on the gas tank, starving the engine.

Check to see if any 'tubes' on the engine are old and cracked and need replacing.

Running the engine out of gas might have sucked some settled debris from the bottom of the tank into the carb.

If you can post the engine model number, that would be helpful.
--
No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him. Well, you can try to...

caspurr6

reply to robbin
Oh I am in no way trying to state that running out of gas was the cause of the problem. I just tried to post as much information as I could instead of just saying it won't start in case something i consider to be not relevant makes any kind of a difference to someone with knowledge of these things.
Expand your moderator at work

caspurr6

reply to John Galt

Re: Can someone please help with riding lawnmower issue...urgent

I keep trying to reply with a video John, but it keeps giving me some message saying it may be delayed. Anyways...the reply without the video says:

We got the compression gauge and tested it. The needle didn't hold in one spot, it was pulsing, but it got up to about 100.

It is an 18 HP Briggs and Stratton. Model # 422707 Type # 1529-01

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to caspurr6
If you do a compression check and you have compression, then the best possibility is that you have a fuel problem. When you used starter fluid on it did you have the choke open (not choked, run position)?

caspurr6

yes, it was open.