uniqs
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil

Re: Can someone please help with riding lawnmower issue...urgent

said by Snakeoil:

My rider had an issue that made it hard to start. Basically what was happening was gas would over flow the carburetor and get into the oil part of the crank case.

You really should get that fixed. Over fueling an engine is not a good situation. There's something simple wrong with your carb float. Stuck, damaged, out of adjustment or the float needle does not seat due to dirt.
Grab a manual, drop the bowl and check it out.
What type of engine? Some have external adjustment screws.
caspurr6
join:2013-05-18

caspurr6

OK, there are so many more replies that instead of replying to you all individually I will just make one post.

First of all, I'm a she, not a he

Secondly, here are the things we have tried so far today...first we put a hand over the air intake, same thing...then we tapped on the carb, still the same...we took the plugs out, turned it over for 20 secs, put them back in, same thing.

Then, last night after it got too dark to do anything out there we did some research and found out how to tell if the key was sheared, or the timing was off (basically it showed a picture of where the magneto is supposed to be in comparison to the armature group magnetron ignition when it's timed right/not sheared, and stated anywhere else means that there is an issue) Well we took the cover off, and it was not where it was supposed to be...we looked at where the key grove was, and the flywheel groove was about 1/4 turn off the shaft grove, so we popped the flywheel again and the key is in half. We also read that it is supposed to be torqued to a certain spot so the key doesn't shear the first time you try to start it up, we didn't do that before.

So we are off to get a new key, and a torque wrench, but next does anyone know where I can find what we are supposed to torque it to?

Thanks again guys for all your help...hopefully a new key, and a properly torqued flywheel will be the solution to our problem, at this point we just need to find out what to torque it to!! lol

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Tig

Premium Member

to Tig
It's been fine the last 3 years. The rider is a Troybilt junker, hence the tech said it really wasn't worth the money to get it properly fixed. I think the mower is 10 years old now, and we paid 800-900 bucks for it.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to caspurr6

Mod

to caspurr6
Torque specs can be found here

»www.small-engines.com/to ··· que.html

Looks to me like yours is 150 ft lbs.
caspurr6

caspurr6

excellent, thank you...off to do that now! Wish me luck!
caspurr6

caspurr6

And we are golden! That was it! Put the new key in it, torqued it (as best as we could we didn't hear the torque wrench click like it said it would) and it started right up!

Thank you so much to all of you who helped!!! It is appreciated more than you know!!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Excellent news. Happy mowing.
caspurr6

caspurr6

Thanks!! Now if only the weather will cooperate I can get my jungle mowed back down to a normal yard!! HAHA
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to caspurr6

to caspurr6
Ok how did you take your flywheel off?

I started to fix my tractor today. Got the center bolt that's holding onto the flywheel but the actual flywheel won't budge. Tried to use a crowbar to pop it off, a hammer, I even yelled at it.

I need to install a new alternator and it's under the flywheel.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Body Count:

Ok how did you take your flywheel off?

I started to fix my tractor today. Got the center bolt that's holding onto the flywheel but the actual flywheel won't budge. Tried to use a crowbar to pop it off, a hammer, I even yelled at it.

I need to install a new alternator and it's under the flywheel.

Gear puller. Prying on it will either break the flywheel or the engine housing. A gear puller will pop it right off. When you get it off be sure to clean up the shaft and put some anti-seize on it before reinstalling the flywheel.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Body Count

Premium Member

to Body Count
Flywheel pullers usually work well.
Body Count
Columbus, OH

Body Count to caspurr6

to caspurr6
ahh crap. now I gotta go and find a store that has one and fits for my model tractor.

917.271810 Craftsman 19.5HP Briggs and Stratton engine.

I checked Sears online and I cant find a specific one that will fit my engine.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

Small engines actually have "use a gear puller" stamped on the pulley.

I have used a harmonic puller on large engines. You will need some long grade 8 bolts to match the flywheel.

Just be careful to not damage the end of the shaft and the threads.
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to caspurr6

to caspurr6
Found the tool at sears online.

part 691062.

Calling them now to see if they have it. Lady put me on hold while she does research.

And she came back saying that part number can't be found even though it's off their website.

Told me to call Craftsman up directly and see if they have this tool.

BLAH
Body Count

1 edit

Body Count to caspurr6

to caspurr6
I called Craftsman up and they said they don't sell parts and whoever at Sears who told me to call them was wrong lol.

»www.searspartsdirect.com ··· 770471E1

Does anyone know if there's a generic tool I could use? lol

edit: nevermind. Found out the generic craftsman large 2-13/16 flywheel puller will fit my engine. Bought one online for $11. Now I just have to wait until it gets here this week.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to caspurr6

MVM

to caspurr6
Good to hear!
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to caspurr6

to caspurr6
Quick question,

when I remove my flywheel, will I need to make sure I put it on the same location as I took it off? Will it mess up the timing if I just place it on any which way?

Basically do I need to get my sharpie out and mark it so I put it back on at the same location?

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by Body Count:

Quick question,

when I remove my flywheel, will I need to make sure I put it on the same location as I took it off? Will it mess up the timing if I just place it on any which way?

Basically do I need to get my sharpie out and mark it so I put it back on at the same location?

the location is very critical, however they are keyed onto the shaft, so getting it back in the correct location shouldn't be difficult.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to caspurr6

Premium Member

to caspurr6
said by caspurr6:

Hello, the other day I was out mowing the lawn and my riding lawn mower ran out of gas.

Probably burned out the fuel pump and clogged the fuel filter. this is a common issue on cars as well since the fuel pump is cooled by the gas.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Problem has already been resolved.

shdesigns