dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
caspurr6
join:2013-05-18

caspurr6

Re: Can someone please help with riding lawnmower issue...urgent

also want to add that when its turning over there is sputtering in the carb...again no idea if thats relevant or not, but thought i would add it

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Do a compression test and then if you have compression there is probably a problem with the carb.
caspurr6

caspurr6

how do you do a compression test?
caspurr6

caspurr6

is it at all possible that removing the flywheel is whats causing this? Is there anything i need to do after reinstalling it?

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to caspurr6

Mod

to caspurr6
said by caspurr6:

how do you do a compression test?

It takes a tool you can get at the auto parts. You take out the spark plugs, screw the compression gauge into a cylinder and then crank it over a number of times. The gauge will measure the compression in the cylinder.
caspurr6

caspurr6

alright, will look into getting that and trying that out. We live an hour away from an auto parts store, any suggestions we can try before that, or would you just suggest we take our happy arses to the nearest auto store to try that first?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Honestly, I would just bring it in for service, and let the mechanic know what you did to it so far.
caspurr6

caspurr6

I'd rather try to do as much as I can on my own...I don't know much, but I am technically inclined enough that some basic instruction and I can pretty much do it on my own. At least up until a certain point anyways, and then I would certainly bring it in somewhere. I don't want to have to load this thing up and take it an hour away for something I could do myself, you know what I mean?

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to caspurr6

Mod

to caspurr6
I'm just not sure that running out of gas was the original problem. It's hard to advise on troubleshooting with your limited knowledge of engine repair. That is with no offense intended.
caspurr6

caspurr6

Oh I am in no way trying to state that running out of gas was the cause of the problem. I just tried to post as much information as I could instead of just saying it won't start in case something i consider to be not relevant makes any kind of a difference to someone with knowledge of these things.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

If you do a compression check and you have compression, then the best possibility is that you have a fuel problem. When you used starter fluid on it did you have the choke open (not choked, run position)?
caspurr6

caspurr6

yes, it was open.
Expand your moderator at work
caspurr6

caspurr6

Re: Can someone please help with riding lawnmower issue...urgent

i read something suggesting it could be the flywheel key...is that at all possible? would a problem with the key cause these symptoms?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to caspurr6

Premium Member

to caspurr6
said by caspurr6:

I'd rather try to do as much as I can on my own...I don't know much, but I am technically inclined enough that some basic instruction and I can pretty much do it on my own. At least up until a certain point anyways, and then I would certainly bring it in somewhere. I don't want to have to load this thing up and take it an hour away for something I could do myself, you know what I mean?

I use a mobile mower tech. They drive by the house and work from a trailer. Pretty decent prices, and good service.