Gobe

join:2009-10-14
canada

never mind, toronto is back up now at 18:50

Radar73

join:2008-01-20
Ajax, ON
reply to Gobe

Looks like it went down at around 4:45 or so ... I switched to Chicago after missing a few calls. I wish voip.ms would take reliability a little more seriously ... way too many hiccups on toronto.

taytong888

join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

said by Radar73:

Looks like it went down at around 4:45 or so ... I switched to Chicago after missing a few calls. I wish voip.ms would take reliability a little more seriously ... way too many hiccups on toronto.

I wish they seriously consider implementing DNS SRV!

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
kudos:1
reply to Gobe

Is VoipMS switching to fewer bigger sites instead of all the little ones? It would seem easier to manage 4 large centers rather than 6 or 7 little ones. I thought there was a plan for this.

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by VexorgTR:

Is VoipMS switching to fewer bigger sites instead of all the little ones? It would seem easier to manage 4 large centers rather than 6 or 7 little ones. I thought there was a plan for this.

They decided not to go that way.

Currently, 12 North American servers in 10 cities.

The 13th server is in England.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to Gobe

said by Gobe:

never mind, toronto is back up now at 18:50

said by Radar73:

Looks like it went down at around 4:45 or so ... I switched to Chicago after missing a few calls.

Strange, no notification via the issue tracker.

Although I enabled e-mail notifications, I didn't receive an e-mail for the Chicago registration issue on May 13, 2013, either.

said by Radar73:

I wish voip.ms would take reliability a little more seriously ... way too many hiccups on toronto.

I do not believe it's isolated to Toronto.

said by taytong888:

I wish they seriously consider implementing DNS SRV!

This issue is related to the "strange recommendation" I made in another topic.

said by PX Eliezer:

Currently, 12 North American servers in 10 cities.

The 13th server is in England.

A bakers dozen!

buzz

@ajkservers.com
reply to Gobe

With its history of problems, why does anyone use the Toronto server at all? In fact, why does voip.ms keep the server running?

I use the Houston server which has never had a problem that I know of.

VexorgTR

Sheffield Lake, OH
reply to Gobe

It's odd, I see reports of Voip.MS and how some users really like it.. but the "Server Down" posts show up here often. With all those servers, I guess there's always an alternative.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by VexorgTR:

It's odd, I see reports of Voip.MS and how some users really like it.. but the "Server Down" posts show up here often. With all those servers, I guess there's always an alternative.

This is why I am looking into alternatives even at 4-5X the cost.
A phone that will not ring or can't make a call is worth less than zero.
We are even considering going back to POTS, yeah its that bad.
--
Hey retard, a Low Frequency Effects Channel is a subwoofer.

Guess who?

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by H_T_R_N:

This is why I am looking into alternatives even at 4-5X the cost. A phone that will not ring or can't make a call is worth less than zero.

Some servers seem prone to trouble more often than others.

According to their own data, a very [stable] server seems to be Dallas.

Some other servers seem to have had repeated episodes of trouble. It would be prudent to eschew those particular servers, as one does with walking alone through a bad neighbourhood at night.

said by H_T_R_N:

We are even considering going back to POTS, yeah its that bad.

I hope that Voip.MS works through this, as we need good-quality independent VoSP.

However, it seems to me that there are various IP choices available before returning to POTS.
--
»www.myvoipnews.com/

H_T_R_N
Premium
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by PX Eliezer:

However, it seems to me that there are various IP choices available before returning to POTS.

I am going to try a few but really with 10 sales persons on the phone all day, if they are not making sales calls they are not making sales.
I have been through several providers, 8x8, zingotel, callcentric, VOIP.ms and a couple home grown asterisk servers. They all left me wanting. I am more than likely going to go back to POTS with an asterisk server and digium cards. That was by far the most reliable package we had. It wasn't until the cost savings were sought that we dumped the POTS for a VOIPSP.
--

Guess who?

VexorgTR

Sheffield Lake, OH
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·callwithus

Ok, if you really want to do some SERIOUS Voip stuff, you need a serious business class provider. I'm a 3CX reseller, and 3CX has pounded into my head, that the SERIOUS choices for business were Appia Services and NexVortex. Because I'm HQ'ed in Ohio, and Appia is HQ in Michigan an Illinois, we went that route for our business clients. Pricing is good, customer service has been phenomenal... and I don't use that term lightly. I've put City Hall, and all the associated departments with Appia, because I trust them that much... but there are a few copper fail over's in place. In the even the Sip trunk pukes out, we go from 12 voip channels down to two copper... but that hasn't yet happened.

However, as always, you'll want to have an ISP that really shines... bad ISP can destroy good VoIP.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to H_T_R_N

said by H_T_R_N:

It wasn't until the cost savings were sought that we dumped the POTS for a VOIPSP.

VoIP for business users has THE compelling Value proposition especially when it comes to cost/benefit issues. POTS cannot compete with VoIP in that area. When it comes to reliability it all depends on how VoIP is set up -- VoIP redundancy is not only the responsibility of the provider its also the responsibility of the adopter.

Far too many professional implementations abound where false hope is the guardian angel. Experience has no substitute Inexperience carries significant cost and risk.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

H_T_R_N
Premium
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by mozerd:

said by H_T_R_N:

It wasn't until the cost savings were sought that we dumped the POTS for a VOIPSP.

VoIP for business users has THE compelling Value proposition especially when it comes to cost/benefit issues. POTS cannot compete with VoIP in that area. When it comes to reliability it all depends on how VoIP is set up -- VoIP redundancy is not only the responsibility of the provider its also the responsibility of the adopter.

Far too many professional implementations abound where false hope is the guardian angel. Experience has no substitute Inexperience carries significant cost and risk.

For outgoing I agree. There is no way to set up redundant providers for incoming calls on the same number. If there were, then that would be a whole nother ball game.
--

Guess who?

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by H_T_R_N:

For outgoing I agree. There is no way to set up redundant providers for incoming calls on the same number. If there were, then that would be a whole nother ball game.

But it doesn't have to be just one or the other.

You can have more than one wife, in this case.

You can easily use POTS for your inbound calls, while using someone like CallWithUs (and/or others) for your outbound calls.

CallWithUs (as an example) will let you use your POTS phone number to be displayed as caller ID on those outbound calls....
--
»www.myvoipnews.com/

The Wiz

join:2012-12-17
Seabrook, NH
reply to Gobe

Mark Twain, I believe , said
"You pays your monies and takes your chances"

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

Not Mark Twain. It's Cockney.

said by The Wiz:

Mark Twain, I believe , said
"You pays your monies and takes your chances"

Most "phrase" historians attribute "You pays your monies and takes your choice (not chances)" to a 19th century edition of Punch, a humorous weekly periodical published in England from 1841 until it closed up shop in 1992. The expression, reflecting Cockney dialect, appeared in one of the 1846 editions.

Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) would have been 11 years old in 1846.

Question:  What was Samuel Clemens pen name?

Answer:    BIC   

VexorgTR

Sheffield Lake, OH
reply to Gobe

Re: [Voip.ms] Toronto server down again ?

I still say VoIP can be made quite reliable... but you really need rock 'n' roll internet. Many places like T1 for the stability, I still say I can make it run great on good cable.

The Wiz

join:2012-12-17
Seabrook, NH
reply to N9MD

Re: Not Mark Twain. It's Cockney.

Thank you for the correction

Adam4
Premium
join:2011-05-30
Woodland Hills, CA
reply to N9MD

said by The Wiz:

Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) would have been 11 years old in 1846.

Question:  What was Samuel Clemens pen name?

Answer:    BIC   

BIC (Société Bic, a company based in Clichy, France) was founded in 1945. Samuel Clemens died in 1910.
--
Asterisk - VoIP.ms - Callcentric - CallWithUs - Google Voice - Simonics - UKDDI

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

said by Adam4:

... Samuel Clemens died in 1910.

Oh yeah?!?! »www.linkedin.com/in/sclemens.    Tell that to his mother.

Adam4
Premium
join:2011-05-30
Woodland Hills, CA

1 recommendation

said by N9MD:

Oh yeah?!?! »www.linkedin.com/in/sclemens.    Tell that to his mother.

quote:
The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
-- Mark Twain

Wow! I guess he was right after all!
--
Asterisk - VoIP.ms - Callcentric - CallWithUs - Google Voice - Simonics - UKDDI

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to Adam4

said by Adam4:

BIC (Société Bic, a company based in Clichy, France) was founded in 1945. Samuel Clemens died in 1910.

But he [was] a man very interested in the [future] so that's not a surprise.

He invested in the Paige Typesetter, which was actually a good machine but which lost out to the Mergenthaler Linotype because they had better marketing!

He also wrote hard science fiction. His 1904 story "Sold to Satan" is about Radium which had only recently been discovered.

As for his pen name, because Samuel Clemens was a [riverboat pilot] (that's where he got that mark twain name), undoubtedly his two favourite pens were Waterman and Pilot.....
--
»www.myvoipnews.com/

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 recommendation

said by PX Eliezer:

....As for his pen name, because Samuel Clemens was a [riverboat pilot] (that's where he got that mark twain name), undoubtedly his two favourite pens were Waterman and Pilot.....

You're such a 'Sharpie' !

taytong888

join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON
reply to Gobe

Re: [Voip.ms] Toronto server down again ?

Let's get back to the issue raised by the OP.

What can VOIP.MS practically do to improve reliability, therefore retain/attract customers?

PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by taytong888:

What can VOIP.MS practically do to improve reliability, therefore retain/attract customers?

To answer this question, one must ask other questions:

1) Are some servers failing more often than others? If so, what is the root cause? And if so, should those servers be withdrawn?

1a) The same question, in regard to companies managing the various server locations.

2) Is the rate of server failure overall comparable to industry standards, or higher? If is higher, what are the root cause issues? If it is comparable, is the problem simply that failover between malfing servers in different cities is harder than failover between malfing servers in the same facility?

3) Similarly, are there more effective solutions for managing servers in multiple cities?

4) What is an optimal number of locations to serve North America, considering the challenges of remote supervision, the latency factor, expense, redundancy, and capacity?

I'm sure that Voip.MS [is] looking at the mid-range and long-term issues, not just putting out fires.

VexorgTR

Sheffield Lake, OH
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to Gobe

I have not given Voip.MS a try, since they weren't an option (couldn't port my original numbers).... I know they get some glowing reviews, but I see so many failure posts up here. It makes me wonder.

I did think the idea to have a smaller amount of larger data centers was a plausible idea.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to PX Eliezer

said by PX Eliezer:

said by taytong888:

To answer this question, one must ask other questions:

1) Are some servers failing more often than others? If so, what is the root cause? And if so, should those servers be withdrawn ? ....

In lieu of THEM withdrawing a server or several, and/or establishing auto-geo-redundancy, were there not a few posts made earlier this year (or late 2012) where it was discussed that a subscriber who deployed certain of the OBI ATA models could enter multiple SIP server names into it in a sequence, and have the ATA manage to which server it would register ? - Or did I just dream up that scenario now ?

And would such a solution only be useful for outbound calls ?

= = = = = = =

It also occurred to me that you of all people here might appreciate the value, significance, and consequentiality of what's in a 'pen name', as you have so recently changed yours.

rjwells

join:2013-04-29

Dave, to take the redundancy question a step further, why stick with just voip.ms? If your device can failover between SIP registrations, why not failover to a different provider entirely?

So prefer to have your outgoing calls go via voip.ms, but if you can't reach your voip.ms POP, then send out over CallCentric or Anveo. I am toying with a way to do this with my Gigaset phone.. it seems like it may be able to fail over to a fixed line if voip is down. Gonna try sticking an ATA on what it thinks is the fixed line, configured to use a different service

You can do something similar for inbound. You can configure your voip.ms account to failover to a SIP URI if it cannot connect to your device. Set it up so that it forwards your call off to your CallCentric or Anveo account, in the hopes that they can deliver the call to your device instead.

This obviously requires the voip.ms service is working well enough that it can bounce the call off, and you MAY wind up paying extra for having two different services process your call -- but wouldn't you rather have your phone ringing, even if it cost a little more?

And you may NOT have to pay more -- CallCentric in particular makes a great fallback because they do not charge you for calls that from their point of view don't involve the PSTN.