spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DIYODT

@razzolink.com

Running our own lines

Hello, I live less than 100 feet from one of the west coast backbone lines owned by AT&T, with a cell tower located in what is basically my front yard (about 75 feet away). I am interested in seeing if anybody can help me, as Google has eventually stopped coming up with fresh results for me to study.

Essentially what I found, was that in order to connect to a fiber optic line, there must be a tap of some kind. This is where the cellular tower comes in. AT&T has a policy that states all cellular towers they own must be connected to the backbone through fiber optic lines. This means that there are fiber optic lines run about 75 feet away from me.

Essentially my plan would be to bury my own 75 feet of lines to connect to the tap in order to earn my place alongside the other millions of people paying AT&T a monthly tribute for internet service. Also, I do not live too far from the suburbs, but just far enough that I may or may not be stuck in the 20th century until I die/move.

TL:DR questions:
1. Would the tower be something that I could consider a viable tap?
2. (main issue) Does anybody have a phone number or email I can use to contact somebody with the ability to possibly arrange my connection to the tap? Or even know somebody that has done something similar that could provide some experienced advice?

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
This is all speculation on my part...

You'd need a business account with them. Try contacting their business sales: »www.att.com/gen/landing-pages?pid=9214
This is all assuming they'll allow you to do this in any way, shape, or form, which is unlikely.

There's MUCH more to this, but I'll spare additional speculation. I'm betting you're trying to accomplish this as cheap as possible, seeing that you want to run your own fiber connection to their facilities; however, if you are able to get the physical connection without much investment (which, again, is unlikely), the monthly cost of connection with them will likely cost much more than you're willing to pay.

What's the back-story to this? Are you just trying to get residential service to your home in a rural/suburban location that is not serviceable by nearby providers?

Cable Employ

join:2012-07-23
Saint Paul, MN
reply to DIYODT
One thing to consider as well, AT&T may not even own the fiber cable to the tower. Locally, Comcast owns the fiber cables, and AT&T pays Comcast to use the fiber.

Technically, what you want to do could be accomplished, but what you would need to do is lease space on a dark fiber (if there is one in the bundle) and pay for an internet connection from whomever owns the fiber. You would also need all the necessary hardware in your home to convert the light to a usable signal.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to DIYODT
said by DIYODT :

Also, I do not live too far from the suburbs, but just far enough that I may or may not be stuck in the 20th century until I die/move.

More than likely the cheapest connection per month you will be able to get out of this, talking internet only, is going to be around the $500 a month mark. If that would be something along the lines of a 10/10 mbit metro-e. The fiber at this site is not conditioned for residential grade services, but transit.

If that price isn't discouraging, then you can look into dmarc-ing at the pole where the nearest splice can is. That may or may not be the "cell tower located in what is basically my front yard (about 75 feet away)". You will either need to pay to have them build out to you, or build to their standards a fiber run to the dmarc point. Building out would incur the cost of materials, labor if you need any besides yours, and any cost of permits to do work and gain access across property / road / pole hanging rights that you don't currently own yourself. A hundred or two hundred foot of construction might be thrown in for free with a 3 or 5 year binding contract for service. Else expect this to run in the 4 figure digits of cost with either you or them doing it.

Turn up for a circuit of this type, not including construction, averages 90-120 days.

dhudson1984

join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to DIYODT
You can follow the fiber down the line if you're able to identify and know whether its fiber for sure... you'll come across orange sleeves if you look up by the pole. Those will identify the company name on who it belongs to and usually a phone number for emergency services. You may have to use a set of binoculars to be able to see the info. Sometimes the info may be wore off or the sleeve or the sleeve itself is just turned upside down where you can't see it. If so, keep going and you'll finally come across one you can read lol.

DIYODT

@razzolink.com
reply to DIYODT
You guys are alot more helpful than I even hoped for. Thanks a lot. I spoke to a guy that lived nearby and works for AT&T and he said that they didnt seem interested in working with him at the time, bit I will see if somebody else owns the fiber. They may be more willing to work. I looked and the tower isnt even owned by AT&T directly.

chpalmer

join:2002-11-18
Belfair, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·OlyPen, Inc.
·VOIPO
·Wave Broadband
Cell sites (AT&T included) often connect their sites together over microwave links. If there is a round dish on that tower its a good bet that they are getting their backhaul from another site (or providing other sites connectivity from this one.)

What that means is that unless you have specific knowledge that there is fiber there, it may not be so.

Pics?

switchman

join:1999-11-06
reply to DIYODT
Hate to tell you this, but unless you want to pony up a few thousand every month, plus sign a contract its not going to happen. Oh and that doesn't get you internet service, that would be another service ontop of transport.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
reply to DIYODT
Cheapest ATT option would be via their channel sales arm ACC business, and 10mb on a 50mb port runs $897 per month on a 2 year term.