how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

crash58

join:2012-05-22
Clarksville, TN

Uverse dns servers

I'm trying to find out why I can't change to dns servers on the uverse gateway. Does the video service require access to the 2 DNS addresses that are default? If they do rely on the default dns servers, in theory could I change the dns servers on lets say charter internet so I could access uverse video...that does seem simply but just curious why att seems to be the only service where you can't change the dns setting.

mibrnsurg

join:2003-07-28
Grosse Pointe, MI

1 edit
Yes, if you changed them in the firmware in the RG, it could not connect to the TV servers.

You could change the DNS servers in your computer to override the DNS servers in the RG.

Chris

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to crash58
said by crash58:

... in theory could I change the dns servers on lets say charter internet so I could access uverse video...that does seem simply but just curious why att seems to be the only service where you can't change the dns setting.

It isn't AT&T as a whole, it is only AT&T U-verse IPTV. For as long as I had AT&T Yahoo! HSI, I could use whichever DNS servers I chose. I am pretty sure the same is true for AT&T IPDSL (Internet-only U-verse).

I doubt that setting DNS to the AT&T U-verse TV DNS servers is sufficient to "steal" AT&T IPTV service; there is more going on with IPTV than mere DNS settings.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

mibrnsurg

join:2003-07-28
Grosse Pointe, MI
It's true for all versions of Uverse internet that you change DNS servers in computers and other devices you can to override the RG DNS servers.

Chris