how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fleetfeet200

join:2013-05-19
Sunnyvale, CA

Really upset with Comcast

So I am new here, first post and I am just pissed with comcast service. They are throttling my speeds when utorrent is running even if I am downloading and uploading OPEN SOURCE software, they still send me letters? What the heck?

Now they are blocking my service when utorrent is running. Its like a light switch, I turn on utorrent and internet turns off, I turn of utorrent it magically turns on. Also, they have recently started blocking PANDORA?! Anyone else have these problems? This is totally unacceptable and I have recently figured out that ISP's have EVERYONE by the balls because they run the internet.

Are there any free internet service providers? I swear I would make it my life goal to create a free opensource internet service that competes with the likes of Comcast if I had too.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

No, I don't have any of those problems. Do you have any actual evidence of your issues? Your last sentence makes me think you don't.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to fleetfeet200

Those are some big claims to make without providing any evidence. We can't really help you without you showing us how you are seeing the service "blocked". I've seen routers and modems alike die when something "high bandwidth" like uTorrent is running on the network. Before you blame comcast, lets get some information and investigate your claims.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
reply to fleetfeet200

said by fleetfeet200:

Are there any free internet service providers?

No

searchworks

@comcast.net
reply to fleetfeet200

If this is a rant, rant on. If you're looking for help then search this forum. They aren't throttling you. Every few months someone comes on and makes the throttling uTorrent claim. The ones that give solid info usually get help here. A variety of issues could cause the symptoms you have.

Info?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to fleetfeet200

I went through two routers before I found one which could handle the multiple concurrent connections a torrent will open. Netgear FR114P and Netgear FVS 114; neither would hold up under load from torrents (and this was on a 3M/.5M ADSL connection). I had to limit concurrent connections to 50, upload bandwidth to 80% of max capacity, and run only one torrent at a time using those routers; and even then I would occasionally have to kick the routers to recover from a connection failure. I bought a third router, a D-Link DIR-655 before I could open up a bit.

As for "letters", I've only heard of Comcast sending them in response to DMCA requests, and customers whose computers were flooding their connections due to malware.

It has been years since Comcast was busted for throttling; and in that case, the poster who busted them offered Ethereal (which is now Wireshark) packet captures in evidence.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

reply to fleetfeet200

LMFAO!!! I really needed that laugh today. Thank you!!

drjenkins

join:2005-03-30
Bealeton, VA
reply to fleetfeet200

said by fleetfeet200:

I swear I would make it my life goal to create a free opensource internet service that competes with the likes of Comcast if I had too.

Please keep in touch. We'd all like to hear how that works out for you.

fleetfeet200

Sunnyvale, CA

1 edit
reply to beachintech

said by beachintech:

Those are some big claims to make without providing any evidence. We can't really help you without you showing us how you are seeing the service "blocked". I've seen routers and modems alike die when something "high bandwidth" like uTorrent is running on the network. Before you blame comcast, lets get some information and investigate your claims.

Ok I have gotten 5 emails regarding my use of Utorrent and 3 phone calls, that is how I know I am being throttled, they don't seem to understand what I am doing.

and btw, my router is fine, I have been a heavy utorrent user since about 2008. I have uploaded nearly 5 times as much as downloaded and have always left utorrent run 24/7.

saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

said by fleetfeet200:

said by beachintech:

Ok I have gotten 5 emails regarding my use of Utorrent and 3 phone calls, that is how I know I am being throttled, they don't seem to understand what I am doing.

and btw, my router is fine, I have been a heavy utorrent user since about 2008. I have uploaded nearly 5 times as much as downloaded and have always left utorrent run 24/7.

Emails and phone calls from Comcast?
The only reason they would contact you is if you are degrading their network in some way. If that is a case and you are ignoring them you will not have to worry about dealing with Comcast much longer. They will terminate your service if you refuse to work with them on the issue. What did they actually say?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fleetfeet200

So are the letters and calls specifically about Utorrent?
Or are they DMCA notices?
Or is it due to the usage pattern which from the outside might look like an bot infected computer?

Did they SPECIFICALLY say they are throttling you? until you do XYZ?
it would be far easier and cheaper for them to refuse service than to send 5 letters and make 3 phone calls, so I don't think we're hearing the whole story.

fleetfeet200

Sunnyvale, CA

They are DMCA notices

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

said by fleetfeet200:

They are DMCA notices

Use a proxy next time.

videomatic3

join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA
reply to fleetfeet200

i just wanted to say sucks to be you.
but heres proof they do not throttle at least in my area

Stu Pidaso

join:2006-10-12
Greenwood, IN
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

said by fleetfeet200:

No

Yes...

»www.netzero.net/start/landing.do···ee/index

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere

said by Stu Pidaso:

said by tshirt:

said by fleetfeet200:

No

Yes...

Cool!

So NetZero is going to give me a free landline to access their "free" 10 hours a month dialup service?

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to fleetfeet200

Learn to steal without getting caught.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to fleetfeet200

said by fleetfeet200:

They are DMCA notices

And now the whole truth comes out...

cognizantt

join:2009-06-13
Montreal, QC
reply to fleetfeet200

"They are throttling my speeds when utorrent is running even if I am downloading and uploading OPEN SOURCE software, they still send me letters?"

Open source software won't get you DMCA notices.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
reply to fleetfeet200

said by fleetfeet200:

They are DMCA notices

Duh....

...let me ask a question though...

what OPEN SOURCE software are you downloading that you need to leave your torrent open 24x7?

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

It's not all that unusual for someone to download a large open source software such as a Linux distro and continue to seed the torrent for days, weeks, or even months. But this will not generate valid DMCA notices.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to fleetfeet200

said by fleetfeet200:

They are DMCA notices

DCMA notices are sent because your ISP received notice from a 3rd party, who is looking for unauthorized distribution. Your ISP doesn't do this on it's own.

So can you post some more details?
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, have a back up... 99.999% availability just isn't enough sometimes.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to cognizantt

said by cognizantt:

"They are throttling my speeds when utorrent is running even if I am downloading and uploading OPEN SOURCE software, they still send me letters?"

Open source software won't get you DMCA notices.

Well actually they can they just aren't valid DMCA notices
the MPAA/RIAA have been known to send notices to people that aren't even downloading their files (many wimpier and give in to the pressure and give them some money others fight back and then the MPAA/RIAA back down with an end result of you paying lawyers some money and you're at a net loss)
--
»www.change.org/petitions/create-···imcity-4

medbuyer

reply to graysonf

said by graysonf:

It's not all that unusual for someone to download a large open source software such as a Linux distro and continue to seed the torrent for days, weeks, or even months. But this will not generate valid DMCA notices.

I know that...

I just wanted to confirm with the OP that what he is really downloading is open source software...

He didn't say about the DMCA notices in his first post and tried to sound like what he was downloading was legit.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to fleetfeet200

said by fleetfeet200:

Comcast does not send email regarding the use of BitTorrent. Comcast forwards DMCA complaints from IP owners claiming infringement. Nor do they throttle in response to DMCA notices.

Comcast has called my sister when one of her computers was 'botted, used for spamming. They did not throttle, but did threaten to cut her Internet access completely if she didn't clean it up.

... and btw, my router is fine, I have been a heavy utorrent user since about 2008. I have uploaded nearly 5 times as much as downloaded and have always left utorrent run 24/7.

It happens rarely, but Comcast does throttle for heavy uploading; I believe it's in one of the stickies. No provider expects their upload to be used 24/7 by a single user. That is the epitome of what other users call a, "bandwidth hog".

When I was running BT, I throttled my upload to 80% of my max upload bandwidth, and I set my BT client to close the torrent when upload reached 1.015x the amount I was downloading. It sounds like you need to learn how to use BitTorrent in a neighborly fashion.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to fleetfeet200

What emails is Comcast sending you? Please redact personal information regarding you and your account, and let us see a quote from one of them.

Comcast throttles when a local network is flooded. Their policy is open and documented.

It is more likely your router can't handle as many connections as your utorrent wants to make, or one or more of your devices is a bot.

If you are downloading or sharing copyrighted material without the owners permission, good luck with that. You won't get much sympathy from a federal judge.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Stu Pidaso

said by Stu Pidaso:

said by tshirt:

said by fleetfeet200:

No

Yes...

You don't pay in dollars, but if you've ever tried it, you know it isn't free, it hardly even usable, certainly not in a broadband world.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to fleetfeet200

These are huge claims. Any chance you can screenshot and post the emails you are talking about?

Extide

join:2000-06-11
reply to fleetfeet200

Sounds to me like you don't have your BT client set up correctly, and/or your router is too slow/old to handle the large amount of connections BT creates.

Make sure you limit your upload bandwidth in your BT client. If you allow BT to use all of your upload b/w then your internet connection will be almost un-useable.

If your router does not handle large amount o connections well, that will also be an issue. I use a PC running pfSense as a router and it can handle a nearly infinite number of connections, especially compared to something like a WRT54G.

I use torrents quite often and NEVER have issues getting my full 50/10mbit bandwidth. My internet connection is 100 useable for gaming and browsing while torrents are running as I have my torrent client setup correctly.

medbuyer

reply to fleetfeet200

look like the OP has realized what he has done and now fully understands what happened...

I don't think he's coming back anytime soon....