Toronto, ON

2 edits

Teddy Boom to Pir8pete

Premium Member

to Pir8pete

Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

said by Pir8pete:

Hacked firmware

Pir8pete, I'd really appreciate it if you could start a new thread with the hacked firmware links, and delete it from this one. I have no objection to that stuff in general, but we don't want any negative attention placed on the service mlord, zinc and I offer.

edit:
In an attempt to be diplomatic, I think I haven't stated the point strongly enough...

What individuals choose to do with their own equipment isn't my concern, but I consider it morally unacceptable to make a business out of theft of service. In addition, because my business treads into the grey area of flashing cable modem firmware, I'm very careful to make sure I don't do anything that ISPs could reasonably find objectionable. This is why I want no association between my legitimate firmware upgrades and hacked firmwares.

I very much appreciate the helpful intent, but I hope you understand why it is important for you to take the hacked firmware link somewhere more appropriate.

edit edit:
Thanks very much Pir8pete! I was recomposing then you changed your post.

Pir8pete
join:2003-09-05
Ottawa

3 edits

Pir8pete

I completely understand, just thought you might wanta tinker with it. To my knowledge, a person would still have to sub to use that "Hacked" fw. It can't go online with all the security in place, it just shows modem Daig. info.

On another note; I left a newer factory fw for the SB6120/SB6121/SB6141 -> SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH.NNDMN link up as it addresses alot of issues.

callous99
@nltelcom.com

callous99 to Teddy Boom

Anon

to Teddy Boom
Now that you've seen the dcm476 in the inside, does it have the same sized heatsink as the 475? Anything remarkably different from the 475 that you can recall?
xanthrocroi
join:2006-03-10
Ottawa, ON

xanthrocroi to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
Out of curiosity what kind of symptoms might a firmware issue be? I'm new to the world of cable Internet and I've had nothing but problems since my service was first set up a week ago.

In that week I've had two Rogers tech supports come out, I've been provided the number to the service company so that I don't need to go through TSI/Rogers, the cables from the taps have been completely re-ran to my apartment, no splitters and nothing else on the system and my modem was still just restarting constantly like my US was timing out. TSI is sending me a new modem though a friends modem worked at my place mine was iffy at his, first test it did not work and second test it did. When the modem gets hooked up if I have the .08 should I just hit up mlord as he's in Ottawa and have him flash it for me?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by xanthrocroi:

Out of curiosity what kind of symptoms might a firmware issue be? I'm new to the world of cable Internet and I've had nothing but problems since my service was first set up a week ago.

In that week I've had two Rogers tech supports come out, I've been provided the number to the service company so that I don't need to go through TSI/Rogers, the cables from the taps have been completely re-ran to my apartment, no splitters and nothing else on the system and my modem was still just restarting constantly like my US was timing out. TSI is sending me a new modem though a friends modem worked at my place mine was iffy at his, first test it did not work and second test it did. When the modem gets hooked up if I have the .08 should I just hit up mlord as he's in Ottawa and have him flash it for me?

Restarting like that can be a symptom of old firmware.. Have you checked the state page in your modem though? If the stats are too far out of range, it can cause rebooting like that.
xanthrocroi
Ottawa, ON

xanthrocroi

I'd done the tech support with the folks over the phone and everything was right where it was supposed to be. They think it's a modem issue and I should have the new one in Friday.

Any time it went down I couldn't see the state of the power outputs as I couldn't connect to the modem. It almost seems like the T3 stuff that was going on a little while ago. Part of me is regretting switching from DSL to cable as I have never had a single issue on DSL and cable has started off with a super sour taste.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to callous99

Premium Member

to callous99
said by callous99 :

Now that you've seen the dcm476 in the inside, does it have the same sized heatsink as the 475? Anything remarkably different from the 475 that you can recall?

I'd forgotten about this question The 476 has a much smaller heatsink. It isn't clear why though, and I'd hesitate to draw much inference from that.

In fact, if you check all the pictures from mlord up thread, I think you'll be able to see the difference for yourself. Not sure which hardware rev of the 476 mlord has though...
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to xanthrocroi

Premium Member

to xanthrocroi
said by xanthrocroi:

Out of curiosity what kind of symptoms might a firmware issue be?

Periodic reboots is pretty much the one symptom.

a friends modem worked at my place mine was iffy at his, first test it did not work and second test it did.

Unfortunately, this is inconclusive. On one hand, somebody elses modem working well on your line is almost certain proof that your line is fine. On the other hand, when you bring your modem to a new location, it can sometimes fail at the HFC DHCP step (that is, HFC MAC address pulls an HFC IP address for communication with Rogers CMTS--NOT the DHCP process that gets you an Internet routable IP). So, having it work one time but fail another could mean modem fault, or just HFC IP issues.

So... If the modem reboots at your friend's place after getting online in the first place, then it is probably a modem problem. If the modem just doesn't get online at all (in particular, online light just keeps blinking), that is the issue I mention above and doesn't say anything about the modem's state of repair.
xanthrocroi
Ottawa, ON

xanthrocroi

I'm honestly at a loss as to what the issue could be as Rogers techs have literally replaced everything they could. I do have a new modem coming in tomorrow (Friday) and if that resolves the issues (or if its old firmware) at least I'll have a rough idea of what the issue is.

Pir8pete
Ottawa

4 edits

Pir8pete

for ppl wanting to upgrade there SB6121, here is the newest factory firmware version to date.

Link -> »www54.zippyshare.com/v/1 ··· ile.html

I will be setting up shop to flash SB6121 with the approved 1.0.6.1 for the Ottawa area as there's no one willing, mlord told me he won't do the SURFBoards now?. I'll post another thread with the details for everyone, just waiting on my USBJTAG as I fried my one and only.
hightech
join:2011-01-03

hightech

how do we get the new firmware for the SB6121?

Pir8pete
Ottawa

Pir8pete

have to have the hook ups, as it's not avail. to the general public

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to Pir8pete

Premium Member

to Pir8pete
said by Pir8pete:

for ppl wanting to upgrade there SB6121, here is the newest factory firmware version to date.

[att=1]

Link -> »www54.zippyshare.com/v/1 ··· ile.html

The versions do keep coming. Nice to know the modems are still being supported, but one wonders if they shouldn't be a little more careful about what they release
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to hightech

Premium Member

to hightech
said by hightech:

how do we get the new firmware for the SB6121?

You don't really want it. You want 1.0.6.1. Otherwise Rogers will not respond to trouble tickets when Teksavvy opens them.

For very specific exceptional cases, some might want to experiment with newer firmware, but that will be exceedingly rare.

Pir8pete
Ottawa

1 edit

Pir8pete

your correct, I will offer the newer fw if they want, but the approved 1.0.6.1 will be the main stream. You'd be surprised how many bugs get fixed in just a few versions.