spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cme01
@optonline.net

cme01

Anon

keyboard malware?

i bought a cheap usb keyboard from a local chinese pc shop...i noticed weird behaviors over the span of 1 month

turns out it was a keylogger somehow in the keyboard...anyway i put in the windows disc and format and deleted the partition and reinstalled.

should i have peace of mind or should i use dban just incase?

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

»Security Cleanup FAQ »Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to cme01

Premium Member

to cme01
You mention the facts that you bought the keylogger from a 'local chinese pc shop' and the keylogger was 'in' the keyboard. This suggests that you believe the keyboard is the disease vector. I can't assess the likelihood of this, but if it's true about the keyboard, nothing you do to the Windows system will remove the problem if you then plug the same keyboard back in.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to cme01

Premium Member

to cme01
said by cme01 :

turns out it was a keylogger somehow in the keyboard...

"IN" the keyboard? How do you know this?

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to cme01

Premium Member

to cme01
The only thing I could think of was perhaps you installed keyboard drivers for special functionality keys for your keyboard? Perhaps then this was how you became infected... from the provided media.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

said by Dustyn:

The only thing I could think of was perhaps you installed keyboard drivers for special functionality keys for your keyboard? Perhaps then this was how you became infected... from the provided media.

Was thinking that too. OP didn't provide much info.

Could someone please tell me if JUST the keyboard itself could do something like this? It sounds very bizarre to me.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

I highly doubt this, but ostensibly the keyboard vendor could include a keylogger inside the keyboard, basically wired through the USB interface. Basically taking a USB keylogger dongle and wiring it internally to the keyboard.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
There are devices like this, think of one usb plug for multiple devices like a built-in hub. For example I have a single transceiver for a keyboard, and mouse while both show up as separate devices. The transceiver shows up as three devices, it also shows up as a bluetooth transceiver. The keyboard, and mouse work in the bios, along with installing operating systems without any software.

Now I'm not so sure the op's case is true, but it's possible. There's all sort of spy devices like this, and some keyloggers even plug in inline with your keyboard. Through the use of autoplay it's quite possible to include a usb drive/keylogger device, and when that gets launched it could even hide itself. If the person is already running as full admin I highly doubt your standard av solutions would catch it if it's done well.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to cme01

Premium Member

to cme01
Thanks for the info guys.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to cme01

Premium Member

to cme01
Suggestion:

The next time you want a cheap USB keyboard, go to Walmart. You'll get the cheap Chinese keyboard minus the keylogger.

$6.67:
»www.walmart.com/ip/V7-St ··· 20434690

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to cme01

Premium Member

to cme01

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Uj2RGhPU

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

2 edits

siljaline to cme01

Premium Member

to cme01
There was I day when I subscribed to Spyware Groups on Usenet via »www.eternal-september.org/

It was not unusual to read of a keyboard vendor getting flagged for having bundled malware with the driver software.

If you've been able to rid of whatever it was - chuck it and move and to something that's Plug "N Pray.

Also See: Pay-Per-Install

IIRC, the adware software were in Lexmark printers.