how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GrandMstrBud

join:2005-05-25
Davenport, IA

Centurylink throttling Netflix?

Ever since I got the 40/20 speeds netflix doesn't even want to play at 1mb. I had 6-7 before and it played fine at 5mb or so. But now it doesn't want to play and on my PC speedtests get 38/18 so it's not my speeds. I can tether it to my phone and get 8mb no problem but on Centurylink not even close.

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink

1 edit
That's odd since it works fine here in Phoenix. It was slow 2 weekends ago, almost quit working saturday evening and sunday morning but then it was OK again by sunday evening and has been great since then. Have you tried doing a tracert or anything to try and pin down where the problem is? Also, it could be your wireless router if you are not using a direct Ethernet connection. I have tried several Netgear routers and couldn't get them to stream video successfully but then I upgraded to a newer Cisco/Linksys type "N" model and that works great.

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
reply to GrandMstrBud
Highly doubt it's my router I can run a speed test on my phone and laptops and push over 35mb down and nearly 20 up. If I use my phone as a hostspot on my internet device for netflix it plays just fine at 7-9mb. Have yet to try netflix on a PC though and yes I have wireless N.

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
Speed tests can't prove that you can stream video through a router. It will probably work on the PC but that won't prove anything either unless it's on wi-fi. If you are still having problems just have to get another router and try it.

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
reply to GrandMstrBud
Speed tests can prove it and on Vudu works just fine streaming and also my phone as a hotspot works perfect too. So highly doubtful it's my router I'm using the Century Link one so not about to buy another DSL modem. Strange thing is that before I upped to 40 it worked just fine.

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
reply to GrandMstrBud
I'm having a similar problem - I'm getting 1-2 bars on Netflix, despite my 10/768 connection. Speed tests confirm my speed is right around 10Mbps, but Netflix doesn't think so.

nettech208

join:2013-05-21
Kuna, ID
Hey guys. I'm a CTL tech and deal with this from time to time. Hazy you need to login to you account and change the video quality preference. That should fix the problem you are having. After you log in go to your account and you will see the video quality link, you are probably on their default which is average. It's a way that netflix has been nice enough to put in to so if your bandwith is capped you wont go over. Actually a nice thing for them to do.

As for the op, when you log in to your router and look at your dsl status are you taking any errors? FEC's, CRC's? If you are running a substantial amount of FEC's that could be the problem and CRC's are way worse. Usually when taking CRC's you are dropping train and the modem is rebooting. Let me know what you see. Thanks.

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
On mine I don't have any "video quality" setting but there is one that says Choose the Option the best Matches your TV: 4:3, 16:9, HDTV 720P. I have it set to 720P and it automatically goes to 4 bars for the best picture when everything is working correctly. I've found that some routers and even some Ethernet hubs won't let it run at the full speed for 720P though.

nettech208

join:2013-05-21
Kuna, ID
Steve if you jump onto netflix.com and login to your account then click on your account in the top right corner of the page it will take you into your account setting. Then look at the left and there will be a "Your Steaming Plan" section. Third on down you can click on "Manage Video Quality". There you can select how much bandwith you want netflix to shove you way. This does affect the picture quality as the the sections are 1. Good Quality 2. Better Quality 3. Best quality. Thanks.

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA

1 edit
reply to GrandMstrBud
I have not been losing a connection I can see the connection time and I'd know right away as I'd lose a VPN connection. I'd have to double check the CRC errors but at last check they was very little. I just think they are throttling it but when I had the 5mb connection it worked fine.

0 CRC errors in 2 days plus

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
reply to GrandMstrBud
I wish they would come out and admit it and then put a stop to it. I'm sitting here watching a few hours and all of a sudden down to under 1mb on netflix and can't even watch it. And NO it's not my speeds I can hit 35/17 on speed tests and no CRC errors.

GrandMstrBud

Davenport, IA
reply to GrandMstrBud
Not only that they are also blocking yahoo messenger. Seriously Centurylink?

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
Netflix has slowed down a little today with everyone home watching TV. Instead of ****HD I'm only getting ***. I wish Netflix would beef up their network and add more servers to handle the load if they hope to be able to handle all the customers watching at once. With 20Mb I could actually watch 2 Netflix movies in HD at once if they could handle it. Everything else is still fast it's just Netflix that's a bit slower today.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
said by ArizonaSteve:

Netflix has slowed down a little today with everyone home watching TV. Instead of ****HD I'm only getting ***. I wish Netflix would beef up their network and add more servers to handle the load if they hope to be able to handle all the customers watching at once. With 20Mb I could actually watch 2 Netflix movies in HD at once if they could handle it. Everything else is still fast it's just Netflix that's a bit slower today.

Netflix uses servers from Amazon among others. No shortage at all.

It is most likely the connect between CL and Netflix.

When you're in the Netflix menu on your device, are HD films listed just as HD or Super HD?
Super HD indicates a good connection to Netflix from your ISP.

SuperHD is listed on my device, BUT I'm limited by CL's oversold DSLAM. I use another ISP, Olypen via CL.

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
Just because they are using Amazon servers doesn't mean they paid for enough of them. The crush should to be over today with everyone back to work and speeds back to normal but I was still only getting 3 stars on Netflix movies, not 4 stars in HD like I normally get. I had to go into the Settings and do a Guided Setup to let it find the network again now it's back to ****HD. I don't have an option for Super HD, didn't know there was such a thing, it that 1080P?
Never mind, I looked it up and they say: "To stream titles in Super HD, your Internet Provider needs to be connected to our new content delivery network - Netflix Open Connect."
I don't think there's any chance that CenturyLink will ever do that!

toby
Troy Mcclure

Portland, OR
Then it could be the connection between CL and Netflix where the bottleneck is.

If you have VDSL, I'm not sure CL allows you to use another ISP like I do with ADSL.

For a longer speed test I have found Comcast's to be very good. »speedtest.comcast.net/

Netphukked

@embarqhsd.net
Began with me about two weeks ago. 10 meg account that always gets full speed with zero downtime. Netflix now routinely drops to 2 bars. It'll load 4 initially, but it takes forever, and is an indicator it will drop to 2 with the first buffer refresh.

Internet Health website shows Century Link constantly in the red with packet loss and high latency.

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to GrandMstrBud

unhealthy

GetMoney

join:2010-06-11
reply to GrandMstrBud
CenturyLink: Trimming our budget with your money. You gotta problem??

Drew44

@rylinkservices.net
reply to Netphukked
Mine happened a month or two ago, but everything else you're saying is word for word my problem. Same connection, same 2 bars. All my settings in netflix are what they should be. Starts HD then drops to 2 bars.

Chongo

join:2007-12-11
Phoenix, AZ
reply to GrandMstrBud
Has CL joined Open Connect? The "Your ISP does not support Super HD" does not show when I go to the Super HD check page.

Titus
Mr Gradenko

Super HD™ over CL is like pumping 93 into a borked Moped.
--
--

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to Chongo
CenturyLink is currently evaluating whether to participate in Netflix’s Open Connect content delivery network.

Titus
Mr Gradenko

reply to GrandMstrBud
The stream quality issues are improved this week.

And I likely just jinxed it ..
--
--

joebleed

join:2002-05-28
Tarboro, NC
reply to GrandMstrBud
Wanted to bring this back up. my problem doesn't seem to be related directly to netfilx, but it does involve some of their source i think. vo.llnwd.net They're used by a lot of companies to host and stream content. I found this post blaming netflix for the caping/throttling »www.thebuzzmedia.com/netflix-thr ··· viewers/.

I don't know if any of this is true or if it is the provider/ISP that is causing the issue. My problem is with amazon and i've been trying to deal with them but they want me contact my provider and get them to look into it. I may get to do this this evening, but maybe not.

What i've noticed from my proxy logs is that netflix, from the web browser, i don't have any issues, but none of the video requests go to a vo.llnwd.net link. Neither does my amazon videos from the web browser. The problems with me comes into play when trying to use amazon's unbox player. downloads crawl anywhere from 16kb/s to at most 244kb/s. the small b is correctly for bits not bytes. All of the unbox video requests go to an amazon portion of vo.llnwd.net link. I found this out because amazon wanted me to download and reinstall the unbox player. when i did, the unbxo player would only download at 10kB/s. This is where i noticed the link and started looking into vo.llnwd.net and above is what i've found.

So the question i have for ctljoey/centurylink and people actually having netflix streaming issues, are the issues from media devices or computer web browsers?

I know centurylink is going to want to know, but yes, i power cycled my modem, rebooted my router, did both at the same time, bypassed my router and used my 660r modem in bridged mode directly to my computer so the computer has a public address and the problem still persisted. the full sub/base link to the vo.llnwd.net for the video download is pingable, i've done pings, tracerts, and pathpings.

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to GrandMstrBud
I didn't think C/L could be throttling Netflix at first because it was always playing just fine here but now I'm not so sure. I've been able to play Netflix in HD with 4 stars since I got DSL until recently and suddenly it will only work in 3 star mode, not HD, even though I recently upgraded my DSL speed. Oddly this comes at exactly the same time that C/L has started advertising Prism TV service in this area! Could C/L be throttling Netflix in order to make their own streaming TV service look better? Now I'm getting exactly the same thing as Riyad Kalla from Tucson in his "Netflix Throttling Instant Video Streaming Performance for Viewers" article except it's on my Roku, not a PC. I'm not sure it's all the fault of Netflix though.

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
I highly doubt they are "throttling", but more so allowing congestion to occur.

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
Somebody certainly is throttling it. Did you read Riyad Kalla's article? Even though that was from 2009 it's still happening exactly the same way, it tries to start out fast, then stops, slows down to just 3 stars then buffers for a really long time!

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
Well I was just chatting with the Netflix online tech support person and they claim that it's not them so it must be C/L. I have a contact at the corporate offices in Denver and emailed him to ask about this but haven't heard back yet. Another possibility is a problem with the Roku but that doesn't seem likely since it's just Netflix and not other channels. There has always been a problem playing Twit.tv on the Roku however so it could have something to do with how Roku gets the stream from Netflix. On the Twit.tv app you can choose the stream you want such as Flosoft.biz, uStream, BitGravity or Justin.tv but with Netflix there is no choice.

toby
Troy Mcclure

Portland, OR
Have you tried using a VPN service to see if the problem stays?