Search similar:

uniqs

razor488
@charter.com

razor488

Anon

Inconsistent internet with new Charter Cable modem

Brief History:

I had 15 MBPS internet from Charter and had zero issues (ran wireless through a Cisco E4200 Router).

I upgraded to their 30 MBPS plan and they sent me a new modem in order for me to actually get this speed. Now I do get 30 MBPS most of the time, but my connection seems to drop off significantly during prime time.. I ran one speed test and my connection came to 1 MBPS... If it works at all. It doesn't stay like this for long until it goes back to 30 MBPS.

The main issue is playing game... obviously you can't play anything with an inconsistent connection like this.

Keeping in mind everything worked FINE with my old modem as far as the router goes... Charter is wanting to blame this problem on my router. When I call them they ask that I plug my modem directly into the computer. I have not left it plugged in to the computer for a significant period of time to see if it does the same thing but I am sure it would.

I am not sure what to do since Charter is pointing to the fact that I am getting 30 MBPS connection and basically ignoring the inconsistency issue.

Please help!

Thanks

Modem is Surfboard SB6121
Router is Cisco E4200 v2

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

defiant

Signal levels? »192.168.100.1

You may have to bypass the router temporarily to access the link above.

razor488
@charter.com

razor488

Anon

The status all indicate "Done" except one is "operational." Seems to be no issues..

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant

All that indicates is that the modem is sync'd. There should be another section that indicates the frequencies it's using, the signal level and SNR of each freq. It's not likely you're experiencing a borderline signal level issue, but it's worth checking.

Amadeus
@charter.com

Amadeus to razor488

Anon

to razor488
Slow speeds during prime time is a problem with Charter across the country. There are several threads here on the forums talking about it.

They're basically over capacity and aren't willing to admit it.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Actually,
Most posts on here about any connection issues always seem to come from the west coast or St. Louis!!

That's only going by memory and from the years of hanging out reading about those issues!

I've NEVER had a connection issue here in Michigan!!

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI

defiant to Amadeus

to Amadeus
Not that widespread. Isolated areas. Some areas have already been rectified by the launch of 4 additional downstream carriers.

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

I agree it's not that widespread. I don't experience evening slow downs, and don't recall persistent complaints here at BBR, except from CA, OR and a few other places as Cork said.

Charter has it's problems, but they are not nation wide. Where are you located Razor? I also wouldn't be too quick to ignore the suggestion your router may not be able to handle your higher speeds. My old Linksys worked perfectly until I upgraded my modem to a Moto 6121 and 30M.

Dolgan
Premium Member
join:2005-10-01
Madison, WI

Dolgan to Amadeus

Premium Member

to Amadeus
That is untrue. As with any carrier it will depend upon your location as to how well the service works. The only time I had consistent trouble was when they were upgrading the fiber network in the Madison, WI area and switching over to DOCIS 3. Been over 99% reliable since they completed the work.

Eighthman
Premium Member
join:2001-06-14
Troy, MO

Eighthman to Amadeus

Premium Member

to Amadeus
I believe a lot of their problem is that their infrastructure is to old to handle the speeds they offer on top of the load that it carries.
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to cork1958

to cork1958
said by cork1958:

Actually,
Most posts on here about any connection issues always seem to come from the west coast or St. Louis!!

That's only going by memory and from the years of hanging out reading about those issues!

I've NEVER had a connection issue here in Michigan!!

By connection issue, I assume you mean that you don't get speed fluctuations like the OP ?
If so, then, I only had them a loooooong time ago, when I first came with Charter, and way before the charterdirect section was made on here. It was a time when techs took the time out of their day to help people out.

I still do have connection issues, like outages, and stuff like that from time to time though.

OP, we need to know your signal #'s. to see if it is a line issue or not.