Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric

Is this poison ivy?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
My son has this plant in his back yard. It has the "leaves of three" that definitely resemble poison ivy but it's BIG! If it is PI, what's the best way to get rid of it?

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
Yes

Round up
Fire
Fire
Fire

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to garys_2k
Be careful if you're going to try to burn the stuff, the oils in poison ivy carries in the smoke, and if the smoke blows your way (or anyone else's way), you're in for a world of hurt!!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
I wouldn't burn it, likely pull it out (gloves!), somehow put it in a plastic bag and send it to the landfill.

His yard has plenty of that stuff, will have to get the heavy woody brush defoliant (may be stronger mix of Roundup).

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
I'd soak it good with glyphosate (Roundup) and let it die, then pull it out with gloves. Throw the gloves away with the poison ivy.

I buy glyphosate concentrate at TSC in a 2.5 gallon container and mix it up myself. It's cheaper and better than buying Roundup at Lowes/Depot. A cheap sprayer will be all that is needed to get rid of it even if there's a bunch of it growing on the property.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
Just make sure no kids or pets are around that stuff when you spray...
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

walta

join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2
If you put a gun to my head and said drink any herbicide or pesticide Give me a big glass of roundup.

Its the safest thing on the market.

Walta

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to John97
Thanks, yes, we'll mix some up ourselves as there's a lot to get rid of. We're going to be bringing our dogs there in a few weeks so now's the time to kill it and yank it out.

Is it best to mix up the weed killer a bit stronger than as usually used for general weeds? It seems to be a woody type of plant and I've had trouble getting those to die after a single application of pre-mixed Roundup.

Nightwing
This is it boys,this is war
Premium
join:2002-04-08
CT

1 recommendation

reply to garys_2k
Looks like it me Box Elder to me.

»www.extension.iastate.edu/forest···der.html
--
"America's moral fabric is thinner than a pair of Lululemon yoga pants." -- Stephen Colbert

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Yes

Round up
Fire
Fire
Fire

Negative on the fire. I knew someone that was burning limbs with some PI and she inhaled the smoke. It was not pleasant ......

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI
reply to garys_2k
One of the best sites I know of to show the difference between poison ivy and similar safe plants .
»www.walterreeves.com/landscaping···ictures/
Sure looks like poison ivy to me , but I am also surprised at its size .
Please let me repeat the warning to NOT burn the leaves !

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to garys_2k
I'm itchy.
I suffer immensely from poison ivy. I get "systemic" reactions. I've probably had poison ivy 30 times in my life. The older I get, the worse I get it. I've always had jobs that put me either in direct contact with poison ivy, or things that have touched poison ivy.

My wife doesn't get poison ivy. I don't know how or why. When I find poison ivy, she disposes of it.

Whatever you do, don't burn it. You can catch it from the smoke. You can get it in your lungs, eyes, and sinuses that way.
It's rare, but people have literally died from burning poison ivy.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Nightwing
said by Nightwing:

Looks like it me Box Elder to me.

»www.extension.iastate.edu/forest···der.html

Looks like box elder to me also.

OP -- do the leaves grow off of the stem opposite each other in pairs or do they alternate from side to side. Box elder grow opposite while poison ivy alternate. Those appear to me to be young box elder trees but I can't see the stems well enough to be certain.

harald

join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH
kudos:2
reply to garys_2k
Acer Negunda, AKA Ash-leaf-Maple, AKA Box Elder.

Leaves are opposite, no other possibility.

However, keep an eye open for poison Ivy sneaking in - they both grow in the same habitat.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

1 recommendation

reply to garys_2k
It's not poison ivy, it's just sucker (new) growth from the tree.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to harald
said by harald:

Acer Negunda, AKA Ash-leaf-Maple, AKA Box Elder.

Leaves are opposite, no other possibility.

Time for me to learn something, the leaves opposite means it's different on ivy? I was born in the city
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to garys_2k
If the back side of the side leaves are wider than the front..... It's poison Ivy.

It's time to bring out the spray........

Take a hatchet, and cut it off a couple inches up from the ground, at an angle so as to give the cut a wide surface.

Spray the leaves.... and then... Spray heavily the cut area of your cut. And walk away for a month or so... Then return and spray the cut area again, as well as anything new that came up.... That should get rid of it....
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to John97
I buy a lot for my woodland management. Russian Olive & Barberry need controlling.

Some advice: A little of this goes a long way. Typically a mix of 5% concentration will kill anything green. This is 4 oz/per gallon of spray.

Label recommends from 2% to 3% for most easy to control vegetation and higher concentrations for really tough stuff but not over 5%. Be patient after you apply, some times it can take a 2+ weeks for foliage to die, depending on temperatures and rainfall.

Be careful with over spray. This stuff will kill EVERYTHING green even just from a slight mist.

Having said that, it does not really look like PI to me. The leaves are typically shiny and it grows as a harry stem vine. Most of what I see are growth stems off a tree. Poison Ivy is not a tree.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to garys_2k
It looks like a sucker to me. I thought poison Ivy was a vine, like poison oak.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to garys_2k
Thanks, I'll take a better look at the tree it's close to. It's pretty ambiguous as to whether it's really attached to it, or not. The main stem seems to come from just between to root branches of the tree, meaning it may be a low sprouting sucker OR a different plant that happened to sprout from between two roots of the tree.

If the tree nearby is a box elder maple then it gets a pass. I'm thinking, though, that the outer leaves of the triplets are NOT symmetrical (different outside edges v. inside), a sign that it is PI.

Again, too, no way I'm burning it! I wouldn't even put it in the city's yard waste pick up barrel where it goes to a municipal composting site. This baby will be landfilled.

wnysteel

join:2006-06-14
Hamburg, NY
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

My wife doesn't get poison ivy. I don't know how or why. When I find poison ivy, she disposes of it.

about 20% of the population is not allergic to poison ivy (i happen to be in that 20% also).

join:2013-04-08
reply to garys_2k
Poison ivy has a hairy stalk and solid spoon leaves. The posted pictures don't look like poison ivy to me. Those aren't a solid spoon leaf and there doesn't appear to be any hairs on the steams. As others have said it's just 'Box Elder'.

TheSMJ

join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI
reply to garys_2k
It's Boxelder. While the side leaves aren't perfectly symmetrical, they do have ridges on the inner edge. In photos of PI, the inner edges of the side leaves are perfectly smooth.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
reply to garys_2k
I agree with Box Elder. Definitely not Poison Ivy.

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to garys_2k
If you do ever have to work with Poison Ivy or Poison Oak get some Technu. It's a soap you can wash with after getting in contact with it and it will strip the oils from your skin and wash your clothes in it to get rid of it. It also helps if you are already breaking out by removing any left over oils.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
Actually any detergent will break down those oils. Washing clothes normally gets rid of it. More importantly is to shower thoroughly as soon as possible after exposure and before you have symptoms. Technu is good. Just put it on your skin. But when you shower, I recommend using dish-washing liquid. Also a cold or medium shower is best, not hot. You don't want your skin pores opening up while you still have the oil on you. The oil gets into the pores and makes it much worse.
--
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

join:2013-04-08
reply to garys_2k
You've got about 10 minutes to wash off urushiol before it gets absorbed into the skin. After that ~50% of urushiol has penetrated into the skin, attempting to remove with soap/water is inefficient. That's where all the specialty poison ivy things come into play to help remove the urushiol from the skin.

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH
reply to jack b
said by jack b:

It's not poison ivy, it's just sucker (new) growth from the tree.

QFT

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to garys_2k
Agree it's not poison ivy (PI isn't a tree). But those leaves sure do look a LOT like poison ivy. I've always looked for the "notches" away from the central leaf. This plant does the same thing.

Kill box elders before they can grow. They are a good shade tree, but they are very weak. I had to have 3 cut down and it wasn't cheap.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC

1 recommendation

reply to garys_2k
One way to tell for sure is to remove your shirt and roll around in it to give it the skin test. ....Kidding
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements