spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hovermaster

@rogers.com

Distributel vs. Acanac vs. Start communications

Hello, I signed up on this board because of how knowledgeable the members appear to be, and I was hoping you'd be able to help me decide on a new ISP. I live in Windsor,On and I am currently with Cogeco, paying about $70 for their turbo 20 package with 20 down 2 up and a 80 gb cap. I have decided to ditch Cogeco and have found distributel, acanac, and start communications all offering 30 down and 2 up approx., Start seems to have the most favourable reviews and best customer service but unlike the others has a 200 gb bandwidth limit which I find insufficient. I am hoping to find out out which ISP you rate the highest overall in the Windsor area to aid me in my decision.

DrugTito

join:2013-01-17
canada
s t a r t .

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
reply to Hovermaster
If it's cogeco land, I doubt Acanac can hook you up. Distributel is your best bet in that area but not sure they offer 30mbps service there.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Distributel is now on the Cogeco APOI, and Acanac - being part of Distributel - services Cogeco territory, at least in Ontario.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Hovermaster

Last time I checked - a few weeks back, Acanac & D-Tel were not advertising Cogeco feeds on their websites yet.

Are they doing so NOW ?

START, OTOH, has been doing so for slightly over a year now, and Teksavvy joined the party this year.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
They aren't advertising speeds or prices on their website, but the service is available and has been for a little while now. You need to call to get the tiers and the prices.

JoJostar

join:2013-05-18
Windsor, ON
reply to Hovermaster
So which company do you believe has the best package in terms of pricing and the actual service?

btw I'm the OP

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
You want no issues ... go with Start

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
said by MFido:

+1

And remember that there's the unlimited download window between 2am and 8am, if you're doing any downloading that you can schedule.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
if u need the higher bw use tsi, if u don't need the bw use start or tsi

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to JoJostar
Another vote for going with Start (assuming they have a plan that suits your needs)!

Yes, others may offer more monthly usage, or cheaper prices.

Start has great customer service, when/if needed.

One other more subtle advantage with Start that I have noticed... they actually seem to thoroughly PLAN AHEAD, and therefore seem to encounter fewer surprises and problems when implementing new features or changes. Perhaps some would call that being 'cautious'.

SimonJones
MTS Allstream Alliance

join:2010-09-16
Mississauga, ON
reply to Hovermaster
I'll throw in a thumbs-up on Start.ca, too. I had a couple of issues on a new install and the support staff were always communicative and technically competent. Plus rocca's just an IM away which I find reassuring.

LostTheGame

join:2012-11-24
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Hovermaster
I've been with D-Tel since when I was employed by them; I'm waiting for the APOI pricing to be released before I decide to jump to Start - but all-in-all - in 4 years with D-tel, I've barely experienced any outages - maybe 4 - lasting a total of 2 hours combined.

The only downside I've experienced with D-Tel is gaming lag; this is major (first world problem) for me

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada

1 edit
reply to Hovermaster
Acanac is targeted more towards the self help group offering support but limited to a ticket system for the most part. Since all support is done through emails to Rogers anyway the support you receive is on par with other providers, you just don't always have the immediate response options you may get with others through the phones.

I've been with them for a couple years now and would never look back. The service is the same I would get with Rogers for a much lower price and no usage caps. The free VPN and other options just sweeten the deal.

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to Hovermaster
Been with Distributel 28/1 since Feb. 2011 and service has been excellent.
I've never once had to call them for any reason.

We download as much as we want each month without worrying about usage.

A measly 200GB would never be enough for us.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to cybersaga
said by cybersaga:

said by MFido:

+1

And remember that there's the unlimited download window between 2am and 8am, if you're doing any downloading that you can schedule.

START is the way to go, if their monthly usage caps suit your needs - and they do mine.

Teksavvy also offers unlimited usage plans in all territories including Cogeco-Land, but naturally those will cost more.

goggles

join:2013-05-22
York, ON
reply to Hovermaster
Can anyone who has Start.ca internet service post a speedtest.net test from Ontario to Palo Alto California?

Like to know what you get. Rogers is quick enough, but cik Telecom is REALLY slow, sometimes drops off completely.

thanks

von Monster

join:2012-03-22
Reviews:
·Anveo

on 35/3 plan

goggles

York, ON
thanks
here's cik

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
reply to Hovermaster
+1 for Start!

LostTheGame

join:2012-11-24
Ottawa, ON
reply to von Monster
said by von Monster:

[att=1]

on 35/3 plan

try testing on a closer server

von Monster

join:2012-03-22
Reviews:
·Anveo
said by LostTheGame:

said by von Monster:

[att=1]

on 35/3 plan

try testing on a closer server

except the question was -

Can anyone who has Start.ca internet service post a speedtest.net test from Ontario to Palo Alto California?

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
reply to Hovermaster
Teksavvy +1.

Start has lower activation fees (they eat $45 of what Bhell charges them) but $10 more per month for a 25/10 plan means you'll be paying more on your 5th month.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
I believe the OP is in Windsor and there isn't a lot of FTTN there yet unfortunately. But if DSL is an option, keep in mind we have free dry loop on FTTN.

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Hovermaster
+1 for Start as well.

I signed up very recently and their communication and support has been excellent. I also love their cheaper Cable Internet installation fees and Rocca's activity and helpfulness.

I haven't actually called in to use Support yet as I signed up online but from what I've heard its superior to that of TSI's waiting time at the current moment.

The free dry loop is also an excellent offering if you were to go with Start's FTTN plans.

Rocca did say that several more plans are coming over the months so I'm sure there will be a package that should interest the OP.

shwatkin
Premium
join:2007-10-02
Bowmanville, ON
Reviews:
·Distributel Cable
reply to Hovermaster
And Distributel.

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

They aren't advertising speeds or prices on their website, but the service is available and has been for a little while now. You need to call to get the tiers and the prices.

When calling about unlisted features, I found Acanac phone support lacking. When I called about cable/dsl MLPPP, the person on the phone laughed at me and told me I was making it up.

Caveat: This is anecdotal & it was a year ago. I haven't had a bad experience since, but I also avoid calling them whenever possible.

goggles

York, ON
reply to LostTheGame
yeah, I can test to a closer server, but if I need to get data from the west coast of North America, connecting and testing to a closer server isn't going to help.

I get faster upload to Palo Alto than I get download. I can connect and get better service to Europe than NA......sucks.