join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to garys_2k

Re: Is this poison ivy?

I'd soak it good with glyphosate (Roundup) and let it die, then pull it out with gloves. Throw the gloves away with the poison ivy.

I buy glyphosate concentrate at TSC in a 2.5 gallon container and mix it up myself. It's cheaper and better than buying Roundup at Lowes/Depot. A cheap sprayer will be all that is needed to get rid of it even if there's a bunch of it growing on the property.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
Just make sure no kids or pets are around that stuff when you spray...
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

walta

join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2
If you put a gun to my head and said drink any herbicide or pesticide Give me a big glass of roundup.

Its the safest thing on the market.

Walta

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to John97
Thanks, yes, we'll mix some up ourselves as there's a lot to get rid of. We're going to be bringing our dogs there in a few weeks so now's the time to kill it and yank it out.

Is it best to mix up the weed killer a bit stronger than as usually used for general weeds? It seems to be a woody type of plant and I've had trouble getting those to die after a single application of pre-mixed Roundup.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to John97
I buy a lot for my woodland management. Russian Olive & Barberry need controlling.

Some advice: A little of this goes a long way. Typically a mix of 5% concentration will kill anything green. This is 4 oz/per gallon of spray.

Label recommends from 2% to 3% for most easy to control vegetation and higher concentrations for really tough stuff but not over 5%. Be patient after you apply, some times it can take a 2+ weeks for foliage to die, depending on temperatures and rainfall.

Be careful with over spray. This stuff will kill EVERYTHING green even just from a slight mist.

Having said that, it does not really look like PI to me. The leaves are typically shiny and it grows as a harry stem vine. Most of what I see are growth stems off a tree. Poison Ivy is not a tree.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.