how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Thumpernator

join:2012-08-05
Senoia, GA

Ditching Millenicom & going back to Verizon

Unless you guys have a solution, I will be doing what the Subject line says.

The Millenicom Jetpack (4620) keeps dropping my WIFI connection and totally screws up online gaming and web browsing. Called tech support and they said it was because I kept the Jetpack plugged in all the time. Well, even with it on battery power it does the same thing. And the battery only lasts about 4 hours, so it would be a real PIA to constantly keep up with it. Tech guy said leaving it plugged in will kill the battery and also effect it's operation.

They asked how far away my device was from the JP and I told them about 20', but going through the wooden floor from my basement to the bedroom above. They said that distance may be too far. Well, I can be in the back yard, some 100' away with my cell phone and it has no problem linking up and operating.

Since my old Jetpack (890L) from Verizon is still active, I tried it with my system and it operates flawlessly.

So,,,,,,, you guys have any solutions? Do you guys leave your Jetpack plugged in all the time? Constantly monitoring the battery is a deal killer for me.

Billy8529

@myvzw.com

I've had that same jetpack for several months now and it's been plugged in almost the entire time. I highly doubt keeping it plugged in is any issue.

Is it only a wood floor and not cement or some kind of metal? That would be the only thing I could think of.

student

join:2012-12-24
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Thumpernator

Consider a SIM adapter (if you need one) and use your Millenicom SIM in your 890L. Best of both worlds.

Hltrancher

join:2012-11-05
reply to Thumpernator

What was already said. WIFI as WAN to a router, like a Cradlepoint if it's a wireless signal strength issue going downstairs. Or sim adapter, and put your sim in a Pantech UML290 plugged into a Cradlepoint. The Cradlepoint can keep the connection alive, or shut it down after a set amount of time with no activity.

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL
reply to Thumpernator

Easiest solution for you is just use your millenicom sim card in your 890L. Though I think you may just have an issue with your 4620L device as what you're describing is not typical. Do you have the latest firmware installed on the 4620L?

If nothing else, buy a usb modem, put your sim card in it and hook it up to a cradlepoint router as others have mentioned. If you're using it as a permanent install, I wouldn't recommend the 4620L anyway but that's my opinion.

You can also see if millenicom can swap out your 4620L device for a different unit and see if it works better.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Thumpernator

Have you tried a antenna yet?

Thumpernator

Senoia, GA
reply to Billy8529

Only a wood floor and wasn't an issue until recent.

Thumpernator

Senoia, GA
reply to Hltrancher

May have to go with the SIM adapter. Yes, latest firmware is installed.

I have a Cradlepoint router in the basement next to my XBox and PS3 so I can have a wired connection to get an Open NAT. The 4620 is on the main floor above, so it can receive the 4G signal better.

Thumpernator

Senoia, GA
reply to Duramax08

Today I bought a Sim Adapter locally and stuck it in the 890L. Then the mail came and the Yagi antenna I had ordered was delivered. So, I put the Sim card back into the 4620 and did a temp mounting of the antenna on the old HughesNet pole.

Signal strength went from 2 (sometimes 3) to a solid 4 bars. Went in the house and did a speed test. I used to get 7 down and 5 up,,,,,, with the antenna I got 19.4 down and 7.7 up. Significant improvement that I'd like to keep.

It will be Friday before I'll get a chance to make a permanent mount and run the cable. But when I do, the 4620 will be within 6 feet of the Cradlepoint.

I'm convinced that I need to stay with the antenna. So, if the 4620 starts acting up again, what would be a good choice in modems that will work with an outside antenna?

For those who mentioned using a USB modem in the Cradlepoint, the reception would not be adequate since the CP is in the basement.

kevnich24

Mulberry, FL

Verizon UML290, has a plug for an antenna. You just need a different pigtail. This could get plugged directly into the cradlepoint. You would need to replace or buy another cradlepoint for the basement or just run a cat5 cable from the cradlepoint to a switch in the basement. Cheaper if you're able to do this.

Hltrancher

join:2012-11-05
reply to Thumpernator

As said, run ethernet downstairs with switch or cheap router, or the antenna cable, or a long good quality usb cable (and have modem upstairs/router downstairs). UML290 off of ebay works, I got one for $15 a while back (shipped). Less than $30 I'd think, some have money back guarantee.

TomS2

@myvzw.com
reply to Thumpernator

I leave my JetPack plugged in all the time, but it's starting to act up by disconnecting and not automatically reconnecting. I wonder if putting the charger on a timer would work? Anyone try that?

Thumpernator

Senoia, GA

My wife has been monitoring the charge and has been letting it run on the battery until almost depleted and then charging it back up. Since then, we have not had the disconnects like before. Coincidence? Don't know.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm mounting the external antenna and I'm going to use this electronic timer from Lowes. »tinyurl.com/nswyh9z

I'm just wondering if the battery will discharge through the still plugged in charger when power to it is off.

The other unknown is how long to program the time on and off. I think I'll start off with a 4 hour on and 4 hour off and see what happens.

bacchus101

join:2007-02-09
USA
reply to Thumpernator

I've had a similar issue ever since going from the USB760 to the 4620L. I can say with authority it is 100% a device issue and not a signal issue. Just do a search for "4620L Dormant" and you will find cascades of frustrated users.

I had the USB760 for years paired with a cradlepoint MBR , Wilson Panel antenna and never had an issue. Now with the same cradlepoint MBR and same Wilson Panel antenna pointed to the same exact tower using the Mifi hotspot, I disconnect every 10 minutes or so and it takes 2 minutes to pull a connection back up. This is constant and ongoing. I am basically paying $10 more a month for a horrible connection.

Well, let me take that back. During the 10 minutes it works I average 25MB/s down x 18MB/s up. It's fast and its great, except when you click on a link and it takes two minutes to load because the Mifi is choking...

Currently looking into getting a 4G USB that will take the Mifi micro sim card and use it with my current antenna.

Thumpernator

Senoia, GA

I believe ya, Bacchus101. I called tech support again and 'this' tech told me there was disconnect problems with the 4620L.

Anyway, I did what others have suggested. I bought a Sim adapter and am now using my 890L that I had when I used Verizon. It's been working flawlessly, including online gaming.

I'm DONE with the 4620L. Millenicom didn't want to replace it, either. So now I have some $90 worth of external antenna, cable, and adapter that is just collecting dust.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

I'm guessing you guys have done the firmware upgrade, selected "never off" and other tweaks. I've never had the dormant issue and my 4620L stays online.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

pkh

@myvzw.com
reply to Thumpernator

I have the 4620LE for over a month and it has never turned itself off. I have the setting for always on and I leave it plugged into the wall with the charging unit. Very fast for me too.

bacchus101

USA
reply to Thumpernator

Jim - I've tried all the tweaks: Firmware update. Always on. Put the Cradlepoint on the DMZ. Turn off IP6. Force Google DNS. Switch to 3G only. Switch to 4G only. Unplugged vs. Plugged in. Wrap the mifi in tin foil and do a dance begging the cellular Gods mercy. Nothing fixes the connection stuttering. Honestly, I've permutated through every possible setting on the device. Even the ones that in practice should have little to no effect on anything.

Being this issue is effecting thousands of users I think it is quite clear that the device is faulty en masse. Is it a design issue? Is it a hardware issue? Is it a QA issue? I don't know. What I do know is that I have exhausted every conceivable troubleshooting option to get the mifi in my possession to work the way it is supposed to work.

Since Millenicom doesn't want it back and I need another device to get an internet connection, I'm going to eat the cost.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

swap the sim from the Jetpack to another device: »Swapping sim card from MiFi 4620L to Pantech UML290
--

kevnich24

Mulberry, FL
reply to bacchus101

I just read a post from a network/electronics engineer that was having the same issue with his and he dove pretty deep and discovered that the turning off/ shutting down correlated more with packets/data that are sent with routers and things of that nature and that it didn't start happening until 2 firmware updates ago. He suggested that it indicated that either verizon or novatel in one of their recent firmware updates was trying to stop people from using other routers with the mifi and if it detects traffic like patterns that resemble router's or NAT, that it will shut itself down.

Personally all the ones I've seen that have trouble are from people using a cradlepoint or similar. I don't use mine that way and have never had an issue. If this is true, pretty sleazy if you ask me. Only work around is to buy a usb stick and a sim card adapter and swap it over and use that in the cradlepoint.

bacchus101

USA
reply to Jim_in_VA

Order placed for one UML290 and one microsim to sim. Thanks for the link.

bacchus101

USA
reply to kevnich24

I actually read that as well and I would not be surprised if it was the case.

Thumpernator

Senoia, GA
reply to kevnich24

Jim, you are correct. Latest updates, tweaked settings, etc.

kevnich24, thanks for that info. But mine was also dropping without using the Cradlepoint router. Not as noticeable just web browsing, but very noticeable when using Xbox Live. Kept getting booted and kicked out of games.

bacchus101

USA
reply to Thumpernator

My UML290 can in today. It has completely changed my internet experience. For the fist time in my rural locale, I have true high speed connectivity.

I was so used to the sputtering connection of the 4620LE that it's shocking how fast and consistently websites load. I wish I would have done this months ago!

I don't have an adapter yet to connect to my Wilson panel antenna, but I don't even think I will need it. The signal is solid just sitting in the window with the large built in antenna. About -25 dBm better than the naked 4620LE.

Total investment was only $22 for a used UML290 on Amazon. I made the micro sim to sim adapter out of an old GSM card using a pair of scissors and scotch tape.

I have entered the valley of 4G utopia.

admin123

@myvzw.com
reply to kevnich24

thats why you go with verizon if you have a problem you call and get help from thee network owner not resellers.

bacchus101

USA

Unless you are able to get an engineer on the line, calling Verizon to solve a complex issue such as what plagues the 4620LE is pointless being it is most likely a baked in firmware issue that manifests in a variety of different configuration environs.

You can reset, reboot and jump through hoops all day and it is not going to make a difference.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
reply to admin123

except you get more support here in the forums than you will get from a script-reading rep
--

kevnich24

Mulberry, FL
reply to admin123

Dude, do you work for Verizon or something?

I have called Verizon for cell issues, I would much rather get help for things here than call them. Takes forever to get a tech and usually, they don't have a clue about things to fix it. Oh but they throw all the sales pitches at you to upgrade your phone, add a new line,etc. please....

HDJulie
Premium
join:2008-05-07
Alexander, AR
reply to bacchus101

I decided to go this route as well. I found a UML290 for $19 on Amazon & this SIM adaptor, which I bought for $5.99 so it would come with Prime:
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AB···F8&psc=1

The adaptor works fine. The UML290 had no problems connecting. I like having the USB connection & having the flexibility to swap out the SIM to the MiFi if I ever need the portability. The speeds are consistent with the MiFi -- 20MB Down & 5MB up though those speeds seem to fluctuate depending on the time of day.

I was going to update the thread mentioned above so I could post which SIM adaptor worked for me but the thread is too old for replies.

murfeez_law

join:2013-03-29
reply to bacchus101

said by bacchus101:

Jim - I've tried all the tweaks: Firmware update. Always on. Put the Cradlepoint on the DMZ. Turn off IP6. Force Google DNS. Switch to 3G only. Switch to 4G only. Unplugged vs. Plugged in. Wrap the mifi in tin foil and do a dance begging the cellular Gods mercy. Nothing fixes the connection stuttering. Honestly, I've permutated through every possible setting on the device. Even the ones that in practice should have little to no effect on anything.

Being this issue is effecting thousands of users I think it is quite clear that the device is faulty en masse. Is it a design issue? Is it a hardware issue? Is it a QA issue? I don't know. What I do know is that I have exhausted every conceivable troubleshooting option to get the mifi in my possession to work the way it is supposed to work.

Since Millenicom doesn't want it back and I need another device to get an internet connection, I'm going to eat the cost.

There are some 4620's that have an issue with the power cord that came with it. Try using a cellphone charger with the same port type and then charge it fully then unplug, once you drain and charge the battery a few times it will hold charge better, lengthen the battery life and improve performance, before you flush the device, check your system, connection and WWAN logs to see if there are any messages listed that may help determine the cause. If it's cutting out, it may not be the connection to the tower but the WIFI temporarily disassociating.

Reasons for that may be the type of security since some devices are partial to certain types. For instance an iPad may fight with a windows machine if the security encryption is TKIP on the WPA mode while others will only use WEP without causing the network problems.

Also, if you have Vista/Win 7 check Network and Sharing Center and make sure the network type is HOME not PUBLIC, that will disconnect you as well.