spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

redphox

join:2013-05-19
Dexter, MI

[HN7000S] Forced Upgrade to HT1000, from HN7000S...

Not really a big fan of HughesNet, but it's the only show in town out in the sticks, and since March 2008 it has worked well enough 80% of the time to satisfy this low-power user.

For the past three years the game has been to suspend the account in November, and re-activate in May (snowbirds); in the past this has worked reasonably well, but on 26 April 2013 the re-certification of the HN7000S went worse than then it normally does.

The usual 75 signal strength from 91West (G11-23K) was ~15;
this could not be improved upon by any number of stock suggestions from "Sam", "Michael", "Roger", or "Ricky", so
a call to the local sub-contractor/installer was logged, scheduled and the technician made an appearance on site, 2 May 2013.

Long story shortened: two separate and distinct HN7000S systems (modem, radio/horn, power supply, cable set, etc.) returned the same results. Multiple transponders on 91West, and after a re-point to 89West, and its four transponders, we settled for an maximum signal strength of 45 @ G28-19K.

After jumping through all of the re-configuration hoops (again and again) the HN7000S still returned: "Registration Error, WebACS Error 326005 (Adapter_Type_not_supported_by_FC012)"

Installer/techs. (two, after almost 10 hours onsite, over four days, and almost three weeks) found someone who spoke English as a first language to decipher this error as: Hughes has not enabled/installed/re-certified and/or activated any HN7000S systems since September 2012!

Please be forewarned

The ONLY reasonable option at this point was to "upgrade" to a Gen4, HT1000 @ $399.00, minus the $100.00 rebate. :-}

Not pleased; thank you very much for the advance information and stellar technical support, I look forward to the improved service over the duration of the subsequent 24 month contract period.

- bern -

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

I'm on 91 W myself. So far so good with only the usual DNS errors and so forth.
Did you look into Exede at all ?

Raminto

join:2006-02-28
Whitehorse, YT
reply to redphox

said by redphox:

Hughes has not enabled/installed/re-certified and/or activated any HN7000S systems since September 2012!

I re-activated 3 HN7000S last week with no problem and in Dec 2012 I installed a brand new HN7000 system....
--
DW7000/.98m/2watt/Horizon1/1381 /Linksys wireless/Thinkpad XP pro/Toughbook CF-28 XP pro/Asus P53e, Win7Pro.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to redphox

said by redphox:

Hughes has not enabled/installed/re-certified and/or activated any HN7000S systems since September 2012!

The interesting part is that, after all you've been through, you chose to believe this piece of incorrect information?

I know people who have successfully run registration in the past two days. I also know of one who has failed when trying. He hasn't yet responded to suggestions, but the first guess is that he was trying to do it with some browser other than IE. Registration success with any other browser has always been spotty at best. What were you trying to use?
--
Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool traveling in a 2004 Blue Bird M380

heeby jeeby

@verizon.net
reply to redphox

long story short....the techs who came out were obviously not well versed in 7000 equipment and related issues. i had a customer recently who lost his signal in a campground after 8 years. aot'd (aot- move your 7000 account from one satellite to another) his account off of 83w to 91w, after tree growth blocked signal. correct in that hughes will not register any NEW accounts with a 7000 modem. HOWEVER, existing accounts, snowbird or not, are all fine, and can be moved from one satellite to another, based on noc approval. as for the reregistration issue, it was obviously hughes related, BUT, your tech needs to know how to properly word things to support when calling in, in order to accomplish certain things such as yours.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to redphox

The one failure I mentioned has now checked in, and it was indeed the simple case of using a browser that could not complete registration. After using IE8 he is now online (his assignment had been changed while he was offline, a common problem in these days of transponder shrinkage and consolidation).
--
Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool traveling in a 2004 Blue Bird M380

redphox

Dexter, MI
reply to dbirdman

...yeah, IE9, but after 3 weeks you tend to believe ANYTHING that works. A comedy of mis-information and errors, from both the Level 1 jocks & the installer/tech.
Thanks for your insight, though.

redphox

Dexter, MI
reply to gwalk

...did not look at Excede, after five years I'm immune (almost) to the HN customer service/support ;-} Maybe next time, I'm not looking for any performance increases. I problem seemed to be that nobody wanted to mess with the old HN7000S, and Hughes was just trolling for another customer to help support their Gen4
configuration investment.