I suffer immensely from poison ivy. I get "systemic" reactions. I've probably had poison ivy 30 times in my life. The older I get, the worse I get it. I've always had jobs that put me either in direct contact with poison ivy, or things that have touched poison ivy.
My wife doesn't get poison ivy. I don't know how or why. When I find poison ivy, she disposes of it.
Whatever you do, don't burn it. You can catch it from the smoke. You can get it in your lungs, eyes, and sinuses that way.
It's rare, but people have literally died from burning poison ivy.--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.