spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Fox McCloud
Crazy like a fox.
join:2006-07-23

Fox McCloud

Virus infection?

Ok, never had this happen before, and I suspect it's a scam; just want to confirm.

Either way, friend sent me a legitimate youtube video link---I opened it and viewed it---I got a popup box (forget the exact wording), that said something about Microsoft/Windows has detected virus activity/infection on your computer and must be cleaned immediately".

This was odd as AVG didn't notify me of anything and the URL wasn't that of the youtube video....so I just control-alt-deleted IE, which ended odd URL and immediately IE popped up again with the youtube URL.

Clicking on the URL again that my friend sent me a second time did not yield the same results.

Normally I run everything in firefox...but I have IE set to default for other reasons so links I click on open in it---Is it possible there was an ad on YouTube that auto-took me to this URL...could I be infected from another source, is this a scam...orrrr?

Either way, ran a quick MBAM scan and it came up with nothing; running a full scan, as we speak to see if it catches anything.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

I believe virustotal can now scan a url link. May scan the link there and see if any issues.

Fox McCloud
Crazy like a fox.

1 edit

Fox McCloud

I'd like to point out the popup box was NOT on my PC itself; it was clearly tied to IE...and it wasn't graphical either, it was just a single small popup prompt with an "ok" button on it and an X at the top right of it.

It looked nothing like this: »www.precisesecurity.com/ ··· x302.jpg

It was more like this: »support.telecomputers.co ··· rt-2.jpg

Only less sensationalist.
Fox McCloud

Fox McCloud

MBAM, Spybot, and AVG scans all came back blank.

Think I'm ok?

Any thoughts, suggestions, or opinions?
DrDemento
join:2005-07-25
Brick, NJ

DrDemento

Had exactly the same sequence happen today. I had IE browser open and just getting ready to do a Google search when the pop up came without anything done on my part. Also did a 3 finger salute to shut down-then updated and scanned with Malwarebytes and AVG-both of which found nothing. In my case the op up box said that MSE found viral activity and had a box for me to click to clean my system. In my case this had nothing to do with a url sent and nothing to do with YouTube.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to Fox McCloud

Premium Member

to Fox McCloud
Any other symptoms, such as google search redirects?

I'd run a root kit scan and one or more of the more intense cleansing tools just to be safe. If you're still worried, you can go over to the virus cleaning help forum and follow the instructions there.

One of my home users came up clean on MBAM, and their root kit scanner showed clean, too. But MSE wouldn't start, and it was only thru the use of two separate cleaning utilities that I was able to flush the nasty bugger off the hard drive.

About four hours of fun.

Fox McCloud
Crazy like a fox.

Fox McCloud

said by Secyurityet:

Any other symptoms, such as google search redirects?

I'd run a root kit scan and one or more of the more intense cleansing tools just to be safe. If you're still worried, you can go over to the virus cleaning help forum and follow the instructions there.

One of my home users came up clean on MBAM, and their root kit scanner showed clean, too. But MSE wouldn't start, and it was only thru the use of two separate cleaning utilities that I was able to flush the nasty bugger off the hard drive.

About four hours of fun.

No other symptoms, and anti-virus that I do have installed isn't pitching a fit either.

Also, any particular topic on the cleanup forum you're referencing?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by Fox McCloud:

No other symptoms, and anti-virus that I do have installed isn't pitching a fit either.

Also, any particular topic on the cleanup forum you're referencing?

In the forum »Security Cleanup this FAQ/posting »Security Cleanup FAQ »Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Fox McCloud

Premium Member

to Fox McCloud
It couldn't hurt to have it checked in the cleanup forum, however to me it sounded like you were shown the script for an infected ad and if you had not have forced IE, it would have led to the .exe that would have infected you if you gave it permissions.

Unless it was a zero day, in which the cleanup forum will give you an answer to the all clear going forward.