Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wooville
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter

Flickr. WTF?

Flickr.

I had (still have?) a Pro account until a few minutes ago. Now I've got a free account (?) 'cuz they no longer have a Pro account. Seems they have 3 types of accounts now: Free, Ad Free for $50/yr, and Doublr for $500/yr.
What's up with this? Was it announced and I missed it or did it just magically appear?
I'm so easily confused. There will be no new Pro accounts but existing Pro users can keep a Pro account or switch to free. What's the benefit to keeping a grandfathered Pro account?
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
No idea what's going. I just went to the site (after reading your post) and saw this at the top:

Smile. Flickr gives you one free terabyte of space. Share your photos in full resolution.
Pro members, your subscription remains the same.

And

See what's new

Learn more:

Spectaculr things are happening at Flickr!
[...]as a Pro member continue to enjoy the benefits of unlimited space, an ad free experience and stats.

Probably the most useful:
»www.flickr.com/pro/learnmore

and maybe:

»www.flickr.com/help/limits/#1504 ··· 50470666

I guess that "Ad free" is the "new" Pro... Perhaps I'll finally make the switch to 500px for real now.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wooville
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter

2 edits
reply to vaxvms
Not everyone is happy with this surprise.
»www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/ ··· 6/page1/

28 pages, and growing, of comments, almost all of them unhappy about the changes.
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Regarding accounts, etc, I think you meant this page: »www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/ ··· 1669359/

Your link is about the updated look/feel of the website.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
kudos:1
reply to vaxvms
I'm hoping no ads, but I'm with you, this came out of the blue for me and I'm not sure where I stand.

But $50/year for flickr isn't worth it. I'll move my photos to Google+ to share.....The stats are nice, but again, not for $50/month.

Can someone give an overview of 500px? Is it only serious photos, or are hobbyists welcome?
--
Home of the free, because of the brave.
Dog Tags for Kids
Buy a soldier a cup of coffee

DeathK
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

1 recommendation

You should check out Zenfolio. They've got a basic plan for $30/year that gives you decent storage and lots of customization. They also have more expensive plans with their perks (like unlimited storage and print selling). PM me if you're interested and I can give you the hookup.
--
Photos By Greg Strong

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
said by DeathK:

You should check out Zenfolio. They've got a basic plan for $30/year that gives you decent storage and lots of customization. They also have more expensive plans with their perks (like unlimited storage and print selling). PM me if you're interested and I can give you the hookup.

I might be interested at some point......

I recently let my pro expire like three weeks ago because I havent been "in the game" lately. I just didnt see the need to pay for it anyway. While I do like the look and feel of the new layout, I can't see paying $50 for it. And i've only seen one ad, and that was on the front page. In browsing around, I havent seen any other ads yet.

I think I tried Zenfolio on one of my domains but could not figure out how to configure it (or maybe it's ZenPhoto?)
--
| map your city |

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to vaxvms
Maybe that's the string attached to the "3 Month Free Pro Account?"

Good thing I procrastinated about renewing my Pro Account. 1 TB for free isn't all that bad but I've only had a glance.