uniqs
share rss forum feed

son588

join:2013-05-05
Reviews:
·Bell WiMAX

[Internet] Question on DSLAM.

Hello.
I have a small question regarding a "DSLAM" as people call it.
I live in a small hamlet/town, about 3 minutes away from a town with High Speed DSL. They have a DSLAM 2 roads down from my house, bringing DSL to road right beside me. I wanted to know how much it would cost for Bell to install 1 more DSLAM so the people in my small hamlet/town can have internet. There is about 20-40 houses in this town, and there has been over 3-5 new houses built in the past year.

Thank you.

son588

Oh, and I don't understand why Bell wouldn't want to install, everyone will buy there service. It is not like there is only 3 people on the road.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to son588
Install costs start at around 20 grand, but can climb rapidly... It's all about return on investment - will the new build be paid for with 'x' years, and start generating a profit?

Bell has been fairly receptive to installing DSLAM's in small markets lately - Utopia and Grenfel just got HSIA last summer...

Call Bell, try to order service, when they say its not available; ask to be put on the list for when it does come... Marketing and planning use customer interest as a driver for deciding where to build out next...

son588

Ok.

son588

Reviews:
·Bell WiMAX
It has been almost a week since I last posted.

I understand how the DSLAM can cost about 20k.
But what about a Mini-DSLAM that I see on Hw 27? Can I get some information about it, or some pricing on it?

Image:

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
That almost certainly isn't a DSLAM... it looks like a plain ol' fibre/other cabinet. DSLAMs are usually on/near JWIs, not in the middle of a field by a roadway.

son588

Do you have any idea of what they are?
Possibly a Non-Pole Mounted RDSLAM? But I could be wrong.

Oh, and it's HighWay 27. It's just in a field area of it. Most of HighWay 27 is towns and small hamlets.

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
reply to son588
Thats a splice point. It's not a remote/RDSLAM.

»Re: Toronto/GTA 7330/Stinger Remote Cataloging Project

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to son588
That's a splice cabinet...

Here's a JWI mounted DSLAM...

And here's a free-standing DSLAM...

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by LazMan:

That's a splice cabinet...

Here's a JWI mounted DSLAM...

[att=1]

And here's a free-standing DSLAM...

[att=2]

It's an OPI mounted DSLAM.

OPI = Horizontal
JWI = Vertical

Here's a picture of a JWI:

»maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=43.···,,1,7.05

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

1 edit
reply to son588
never mind...

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to FiberToTheX
OPI vs JWI is based on application - not physical layout.

That's a JWI...

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
reply to son588
Either way, it's just a cross-connect where the F1 meets the F2 (F3 in some cases). Who cares if it uses Bix connectors or something else.

iamkyle

join:2011-03-22
Newmarket, ON
How many different types of JWI's does Bell use? I swear I've seen BIX-like blocks in cabinets that look nothing like the brown ones.

taraf

join:2011-05-07
Stittsville, ON
said by iamkyle:

How many different types of JWI's does Bell use? I swear I've seen BIX-like blocks in cabinets that look nothing like the brown ones.

Hundreds, from what I understand. It depends on what design was best for which situation, when it was installed. There are ground-based cabinets, pole-mounted cabinets, cabinets that are flush with the side of a building, cabinets that get installed in the basement or phone room of a high rise building, etc.. There are also different types of JWI/OPI for fibre optic connections as opposed to copper.

Most of the ones you'll see in a given neighbourhood will be the same, but there's no guarantee that they'll be the same if you then go to a neighbourhood that was built 20 years earlier.

Ultimately, they all serve the same purpose: to provide a place where cables can be connected to each other.

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
reply to iamkyle
said by iamkyle:

Usually that's what they look like.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to son588
Just a point of clarification:

JWI - Jumper Wire Interface originally manufactured by 3M (green)

OPI - Outside Plant Interface originally manufactured by Northern (brown)

Given to me by a Cable technician so don't shoot the messenger.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
said by Glen1:

Just a point of clarification:

JWI - Jumper Wire Interface originally manufactured by 3M (green)

OPI - Outside Plant Interface originally manufactured by Northern (brown)

Given to me by a Cable technician so don't shoot the messenger.

yup. Thats what I've always understood it to be.

And just to add to the bix discussion. You can find bix in JWI`s all over the place. When all the jwi`s got retrofitted for FTTN, the IN and OUT ports in the jwi are bix.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
Yes and there is a mix of bix and 66 blocks which make it very difficult to work with.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

OPI vs JWI is based on application - not physical layout.

That's a JWI...

The pic above with the 7330 is an OPI, my post here has the differences; »Re: Toronto/GTA 7330/Stinger Remote Cataloging Project.
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Glen1
said by Glen1:

Yes and there is a mix of bix and 66 blocks which make it very difficult to work with.

It's not a huge deal, although having to switch between multiple punch down tools is annoying. In my post here »Re: Toronto/GTA 7330/Stinger Remote Cataloging Project I have a pic of a new brown JWI with a mix of BIX and the JWI punch down blocks.

The 66 punch downs are annoying, at least they're retrofitting most of the apartments here in Ottawa with BIX.