spc
Search similar:

uniqs
shawnIA
join:2013-05-20
Dubuque, IA

shawnIA

[IA] Slow speeds suddenly when using a router

I suddenly am havng horrific speeds when connecting with a router. I normally get 15-20Mbps download, and still can when connected directly to the modem. However, if I try connecting with a router (I've tried multiple, both wireless and wired), I get around 1Mbps down. Nothing's changed on our end, and it's for multiple devices. I've noticed it just about ever since the recent Fiber cuts (most likely unrelated, but potentially not as well).

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions/similar things happen? I can barely do crap on this connection now.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

If you are having the issues connected through the router and no issues connected direct to the modem, then the issue is with the router. You could try resetting the router to manufacturer defaults and start over.
shawnIA
Dubuque, IA

shawnIA

Hmm...I've tried multiple though. Just find it weird that all of a sudden my speed is 1/10th of advertised unless I connect directly to the modem.

I guess I'll go pick up a new router tomorrow; are there recommended makes/models that work well with the Cisco DPQ2160 modem?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

You can use any wireless router you would like with our service. We are unable to recommend a particular model, as we do not support them.
shawnIA
Dubuque, IA

shawnIA

Understandable. What about the modem? I currently have the one Mediacom provided but if I'm going to get a new router would I be able to get a modem as well and replace it? Is that an easy process? Not that yours is not a fine one, but I'd rather purchase one myself to own instead of continuing to rent one.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

All you have to do is let me know what the modem is here, or through an IM and I will get it provisioned to the account.
shawnIA
Dubuque, IA

shawnIA

Thanks. It probably wont be until tomorrow (10pm here now), so would that still be the best method or maybe call in instead?

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

You can do whichever you prefer.