Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

and..

Best new modem for Charter (California)

I saw that parts of California are starting to get 8 channels downstream, so I want to go ahead and upgrade my modem.

Currently I'm using a Motorola Surfboard 6120. My first inclination is to buy a new Motorola modem (like the 6180) since that's what I'm used to (and I like that most of the settings are least VIEWABLE online.)

However, I want to get the best modem that works well with Charter. I want a modem they're going to keep firmware up-to-date, etc.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc.? Thanks!

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1

1 edit
SB6141 retail white version. Don't get the black one. I found out people are actually selling those illegally. Only cable providers can buy them from Motorola. That is why Motorola made 2 different colors. The white version also has a 1 year factory warranty through Motorola.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to Amadeus
)
Are you eligible to use your own modem as Charter does not let just anyone use their own anymore, or are you just hoping Charter has modems you can pick and choose from, which is usually not the case.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects ··· amonkey/

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
reply to Amadeus
)
See if going to the new pricing makes sense for you. Then, you'll be provided with a modem that'll be guaranteed to be supported or replaced if necessary.

Zappa2000

join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI
reply to cork1958
)
said by cork1958:

Are you eligible to use your own modem as Charter does not let just anyone use their own anymore, or are you just hoping Charter has modems you can pick and choose from, which is usually not the case.

Pretty much this.
Charter wants you to use THEIR modem, so don't go wasting $$$ until you see what the local office tells you.

Amadeus

@charter.com
reply to Amadeus
)
I want to get the Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 (White retail).

Can anyone confirm that they use this modem with Charter High Speed Internet right now (and successfully?)

I'm not sure where some of you live that you can contact anyone with a half a brain at Charter to ask this question; however, where I live it's just not a possibility (at least not locally.) I'm sure I'd get some "stock answer" basically saying they don't really support anything other than the modem they provide for rental.

tscotty
Premium
join:2005-07-04
Saint Charles, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
I switched my internet plan from the old one where I owned the modem to the new one where the modem is included. I went to the local charter office and they gave me a 6141 for my modem. It is working great but hasn't been upgraded to 8 streams yet. I haven't heard anyone in the St Louis area that's been upgraded to 8 streams. It's still running the SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH firmware. I can confirm it works fine with the Ultra 100 plan. Let me know if you need more information.

InThe Know

@charter.com
I guess the "stock" answer is just not the answer you want to hear. Charter will give you a modem to use without a rental fee this means free. Why would you go and buy your own and risk no support? Plus DOCSiS 3.1 is just around the corner.

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR
reply to Amadeus
)
I just bought a 6141 (white retail on Amazon) and was able to get it provisioned last week. Charter didn't have any issues with me returning their modem (older 6121) and hooking up my new one. So far it has improved my slow speeds at night considerably. I was told by a Charter corporate contact that my node is being upgraded in the next two weeks to support 8 channel bonding. Good luck having Charter provide you with the latest modems. My experience is they give you the oldest stuff they have available in the truck or office.

skburger

join:2006-05-29
Belleville, IL
reply to Amadeus
)
I have used my own modem, a SB6120 with the Ultra 100 plan since it was first made available in the St. Louis area a couple of years ago. Since reading about the upcoming 8 channel download feature, last week I purchased a white SB6141 from Amazon and replaced my modem in a couple of minutes at install.charter.com. It worked like a champ. Now just waiting for the 8 channels to begin...

samthegam

join:2011-12-10
Monterey Park, CA
I believe to bond with 8 channels downstream if it is in your area is firmware dependent. My Motorola SBG6580 only had 4 channel downstream until a firmware update and now it has 8 channel downstream.

passerby

Monroe, MI
Not true. It has to be hardware supported to utilize 8 downstream channels.

samthegam

join:2011-12-10
Monterey Park, CA
I tried a white Motorola 6141 with firmware 1.0.6.8 and it won't bond with 8 channels just the 4 channels. However, a black Motorola 6141 from the local office with 1.0.6.6 will bond with 8 channels. And my Motorola 6580 did not bond with 8 channels until it received it's firmware update even though it was one of the first modem/gateway to support 8 channel down.

passerby

Monroe, MI
The hardware support still has to be there. A firmware update alone will not give a 4 channel DOCSIS 3 modem 8-channel support.

Perhaps, your 6850 needed a firmware update to enable the additional tuning capabilities. Or, it could have been a coincidence the firmware update occurred around the time of the launch of 8 channel downstream.