spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

watts3000

join:2002-01-21

Ubunto or Centos

Guys as I stated in a different post I am about to build a file server so I am looking at Ubuntu or Centos. I have played with Centos a little one Linux guy was telling me that Centos is hard to upgrade and it pretty much requires a clean install. He than tells me that Ubuntu is much easier to upgrade. So guys which server is easier to maintain in regards to upgrades?

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
CentOS is easy to upgrade within a major release to the next point release. Each major release is also supported for at least five years, so upgrading to the next major release isn't actually required to stay current until support runs out.

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to watts3000
said by watts3000:

one Linux guy was telling me that Centos is hard to upgrade and it pretty much requires a clean install.

That's nonsense. To upgrade a CentOS box you type 'yum update' and reboot when finished. I've done that from 5.0 to 5.9 and every point release in between on my current server with no issues.
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Yes, but going from any 5.x to 6.x is not so easy.

Now we are at 5.9, what's next in the 5.9 series, 5.9.1.....?

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

1 recommendation

reply to watts3000
Ubuntu's release pattern is to do a new release every six months. Every two years they do an LTS release. The regular releases have 18 months of support and the LTS releases have five years.
An LTS can upgrade to the next six-month release or to the next LTS, when it is released. A regular release can only upgrade to the next six-month release.
In my experience server upgrades are as clean and reliable as they are predictable.
If you do choose Ubuntu I would advise to you stay on LTS releases unless you have a very specific need to update to the more frequent releases.

Ubuntu also gives you direct commercial support (bugs/security) from the vendor for free. When Canonical fixes a bug, you get it immediately.

Both OSes have been found tried and true in the commercial market as great servers powering major sites, so I don't think you can go wrong either way.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

armitage

join:2004-01-04
philippines

1 recommendation

said by Maxo:

The regular releases have 18 months of support and the LTS releases have five years.

Well, starting 13.04, regular releases are only supported for 9 months.

The LTS versions still have 5 years though.

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to graysonf
said by graysonf:

Good point, but the support window is so large (10 years) this seems unavoidable.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to watts3000
CentOS is essentially RHEL. RHEL is not a bad thing to know, if you ever happen to need to know Linux in a job situation.

CentOS, like any Linux, isn't massively impossible to upgrade in place, even for major version changes. You learn to keep your content out of the way of the fan belts, you can swap out your engine any old day.

Since I run both OSes myself, I'd say it's pretty much the same level of meh for either on maintenance and upgradeable.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

benali722

join:2007-07-14
Nashville, TN
reply to watts3000
Mint 13 is current and supported till April 2017. It's basically Ubuntu with some tweaks, and uses the Ubuntu software repositories.

I've supported Ubuntu professionally and feel that they emphasize adding new features to their releases asap, even at the expenses of compatiblity and lower bug ratios.

I haven't used CentOS but it's closely based on RedHat and my experience with RH has been excellent.

Best wishes.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
reply to watts3000
Ubuntu is like a bad STD.... She was cute until you need it to work under the hood and now you caught Herpes... . Stay away from it man.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

piper
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Buffalo, NY
said by XCOM:

Ubuntu is like a bad STD.... She was cute until you need it to work under the hood and now you caught Herpes... . Stay away from it man.

+1

I wouldn't use it as a desktop, no way in hell as a server

Debian or CentOS
--
debian sid | apt-get into it
proudly anti-micro$oft using aptosid / siduction

watts3000

join:2002-01-21

1 recommendation

I am going to use Centos thanks for all of the info guys.

darthanubis

join:2010-01-05
Cleveland, OH
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to watts3000
said by watts3000:

Guys as I stated in a different post I am about to build a file server so I am looking at Ubuntu or Centos. I have played with Centos a little one Linux guy was telling me that Centos is hard to upgrade and it pretty much requires a clean install. He than tells me that Ubuntu is much easier to upgrade. So guys which server is easier to maintain in regards to upgrades?

The one you are comfortable with. I personally, chose the .deb path, not the .rpm path.

So any Debian based system is easier for ME to upgrade/admin.

My OMV(Openmediavault) is Debian. My XBMC/minidlna/playstationmediaserver, server is Ubuntu 13.04

I never have the issues others complain about wrt Ubuntu.

Just put Wheezy on my laptop, stable.

ymmv
--
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (Total Cores: 4) Graphics: GeForce GT 240 1024MB (550/790MHz)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK P5Q SE2 Audio: VIA VT1708S
Chipset: Intel 4 Series Chipset + ICH10
Memory: 8003MB
Disk: 60GB OCZ-VERTEX2

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL

1 recommendation

reply to XCOM
said by XCOM:

Good 'ole fashion FUD. Ubuntu's hood opens up as easily as any other Linux OS.
Like a good car, you don't need to be a mechanic to drive it, but the parts fit together nicely if you want to refit them to your liking.

Derwood
Wherever you go, there you are
Premium
join:2003-01-21
Dayton, OH
Reviews:
·Dish Network
·Time Warner Cable
reply to watts3000
I've used both. I work all day in RHEL, so I prefer CentOS because I'm used to it. I know where everything is..

The problems I've had with Ubuntu have been related to Compiz chewing up system resources. Never had that with CentOS for some reason.

You should choose whatever works for you. Ubuntu is more bleeding edge from what I've seen.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
said by Derwood:

You should choose whatever works for you. Ubuntu is more bleeding edge from what I've seen.

Definitely. Which can be a plus, or a minus, depending on your needs.

piper
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Buffalo, NY
If you do choose a "debian" system, just becareful with " .debs "

ubuntu .debs and debian .debs are not compatible

The best place to find out more about this is at irc #debian or the best place I have seen in a while is at Linux Mint Debian's webpage

===========
1. Is LMDE compatible with Ubuntu-based Linux Mint editions?

No, it is not. LMDE is compatible with Debian, which isn’t compatible with Ubuntu.
=================

The good thing is

Choice is good
--
debian sid | apt-get into it
proudly anti-micro$oft using aptosid / siduction

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to graysonf
said by graysonf:

Now we are at 5.9, what's next in the 5.9 series, 5.9.1.....?

Or 5.10 followed by 5.11, etc (there's nothing to say the point release has to stop at 9 or even 99...)
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬