All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
JohnnyBeGood
join:2008-04-18
Seattle, WA

JohnnyBeGood to tomdlgns

to tomdlgns

Re: DynDNS now requires monthly login - alternative?

said by tomdlgns:

said by JohnnyBeGood:

Thanks for the replies!

Namecheap is the setup that I would like to use with myname.net domain and my goal is to have it automatically update in pfSense when ip changes.

I've initiated transfer from godaddy to namecheap on one of my domains to test it out.

I'll post back here.

that's what i did, but i didn't transfer the domain (i have no problem with keeping it registered at godaddy).

i assume you knew you didnt have to transfer just to test it out.

I wanted to use myname.net instead of subdomain.myname.net
I can't use myname.net for this purpose while registered at godaddy?
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns

Premium Member

not sure, this thread was about dyndns service, i have always used subdomain.dyndns.com, i assumed everyone in here was going the same thing.

are you just wanting to host a site at a place where yourdomain.net lives at (dynamic IP)?

you can still use namecheap for your DNS zone file and left godaddy as the registrar.

all you needed to do was login to godaddy, open up the DNS domain settings and changed your name servers to point to namecheap

FREEDNS2.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS4.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS3.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS5.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM

then you could have logged into namecheap to manage the DNS (a records, mx records, aliases, cnames, etc....
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink to JohnnyBeGood

to JohnnyBeGood
FWIW, I’ve always used a subdomain for my DDNS and then I create a CNAME for the more important DDNS records. For example, home.example.com is a CNAME for home.external.example.com and this works well.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

i do this, but a little different.

exmaple, with DYNDNS at home, my free ddns name was...myname.dyndns.com.

i would login to my website DNS zone file and create an alias...home.mysite.com and point it to myname.dyndns.com
JohnnyBeGood
Seattle, WA

JohnnyBeGood to tomdlgns

to tomdlgns
said by tomdlgns:

not sure, this thread was about dyndns service, i have always used subdomain.dyndns.com, i assumed everyone in here was going the same thing.

are you just wanting to host a site at a place where yourdomain.net lives at (dynamic IP)?

you can still use namecheap for your DNS zone file and left godaddy as the registrar.

all you needed to do was login to godaddy, open up the DNS domain settings and changed your name servers to point to namecheap

FREEDNS2.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS4.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS3.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
FREEDNS5.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM

then you could have logged into namecheap to manage the DNS (a records, mx records, aliases, cnames, etc....

Yes, I would like to use it for eventually test it for home website and the same time I need to have it for other services.

I get the part where you can change DNS servers on godaddy but in namecheap if you don't have domain with them you can't generate user name and password for client to update ie. here »www.namecheap.com/suppor ··· namicdns
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

i just forwarded/changed my nameservers in godaddy and the client worked fine on my PC. then i installed it in pfsense (on another network i have) and it updated that ip/name as well (sub domain).

you need the 'password' i didnt do anything with a user name.

Current Dynamic DNS Status : Enabled
INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR DYNAMIC DNS CLIENT

Domain Name mydomain.com

Host Name anyhost_you_specify_in_client

Please make sure you create an A record for this host name before sending a dynamic dns update command. You can set an A record using the 'All Hosts' page. Use a dummy address if IP not known.
ex: www 127.0.0.1 'A Record'

Password 4xbjfjjasdfkasfkljasfkjaskfjaskfjkasjfasjf7

obviously i added dummy characters to my password, but thats what it will look like.

- under account information i have all 0s, hover over products, my account section, click on your free dns
- verify your domain is in there, click the domain name
- under advanced options on the left side click Dynamic DNS
- this is the screen that shows the info i pasted above and where you get your password

i used the 2.0.0.6 client

»www.namecheap.com/suppor ··· aspx/111

as of now, my domain name is still at godaddy, i just changed the name servers to point to name cheap.
JohnnyBeGood
Seattle, WA

JohnnyBeGood

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I went ahead and canceled transfer to namecheap.

I followed your instructions but for whatever reason when I try to ping from outside I get reply from 127.0.0.1 ?
Can you please post some of your screenshots ie. pfsense, namecheap, etc. ?

Here are some of mine:
ping.eu
»i.imgur.com/dpeU1IK.png

namecheap
»i.imgur.com/Q1QNjgC.png

pfSense
»i.imgur.com/1poqGhV.png