A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Surveillance and the Internet of Things

»www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2···_ea.html from »boingboing.net/2013/05/21/intern···eil.html

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

2 recommendations

The author of that article seems to assume that we're all idiots and therefore that it's game over.

I do not and will not own a Smartphone for the very reasons he cites.

I do not and will not own a vehicle that is "internet enabled".

I do not and will not wear glasses that are internet enabled.

In short unless one willingly goes along with the trend one can't be tracked like he predicts. Then again that assumes that one isn't a sheep.

Baaa!
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

2 recommendations

StuartMW See Profile, while I completely share your fillings about this, I have to add some corrections:

said by StuartMW:

The author of that article seems to assume that we're all idiots and therefore that it's game over.

Unfortunately the vast majority of US citizens are. And they, the majority, define our future

I do not and will not own a Smartphone for the very reasons he cites.

Good. But it's going to be possible till there will be other (non-smart) phones on the market. And that will be up to that ignorant majority. As you know, the companies make products not for you and me, but for that majority. After that we'll have no choice at all...

I do not and will not own a vehicle that is "internet enabled".

See above.

I do not and will not wear glasses that are internet enabled.

Ditto.

In short unless one willingly goes along with the trend one can't be tracked like he predicts. Then again that assumes that one isn't a sheep.

It's not so simple. Again the sheeple define the future environment where we're going to live...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

2 recommendations

reply to antdude

C'mon folks. Given the amount of data that is collected these days, I'm sure Bob and cronies have a pretty good idea of who everyone is.

• landlines,
• cell phones (smart or dumb),
• the internet,
• debit and credit cards,
• rewards cards,

and, a few others.

I'm getting the strong feeling we're at a point where very little is unknown about anyone these days.

I think we're too late to stem the tide.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to antdude

Jus' wondering.... Does the Original Post follow these requirements?
»Posting rules and Copyrights issues..
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

reply to OZO

Ok. Even if Smartphones become the norm and there are no alternatives I can either not have a phone at all or only use it at home (as I do my current dumb cell phone). You don't have to take it with you everywhere and be tracked. You have a choice.

Vehicles have fuse boxes. Find the one for the built-in GPS, should those become the norm, and no more tracking. Or just have an old car.

I doubt standard eye glasses will be replaced by only smart ones. If so wrap the transmitter with aluminum foil.

I stand by my post. You do have a choice.

The author is correct--you can't prevent tracking on the internet. But you don't have to have internet access.

Until the gummint embeds a chip in you at birth you can avoid a lot of stuff but not all.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to vaxvms

said by vaxvms:

Does the Original Post follow these requirements?

I doubt it. Guess this thread will disappear.
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to vaxvms

said by vaxvms:

Jus' wondering.... Does the Original Post follow these requirements?

said by Dustyn:

Perhaps this should be made a sticky.

»Re: Posting rules and Copyrights issues.
As if anyone is going to remember that thread after a week or so. It will simply be pushed off the first page and into the abyss.

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

1 recommendation

reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

C'mon folks. Given the amount of data that is collected these days, I'm sure Bob and cronies have a pretty good idea of who everyone is.

• landlines,
• cell phones (smart or dumb),
• the internet,
• debit and credit cards,
• rewards cards,

and, a few others.

I'm getting the strong feeling we're at a point where very little is unknown about anyone these days.

I think we're too late to stem the tide.

Governments have long had an idea on who we are of sorts.
I think Schneier is refering to the next round of abilities that mass data could leave us in as opposed to company's collecting data just for advertizing purposes. That excuse has now long worn thin.
As the opportunity to gleam/control more of our movements/purchases/decisions comes into the affray i'm thinking it will be more like round two.....not to late to stem the tide, but to define options for their accountability and ability.
The developing real-time influence needs to be closely monitored and governments should think whether company's should be allowed to function on these levels and be seen as having a definable stance/control of such.
We all need structure in order to monitor and move forward at this time.
The E.U. gets 6/10 on privacy but that's about all we're getting a present.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

When said Government is a happy receiver of that data (for free), I doubt little will interrupt the flow.

ashrc4
Premium
australia

said by Juggernaut:

When said Government is a happy receiver of that data (for free), I doubt little will interrupt the flow.

How useful the data becomes relied upon and to what degree it can be developed will dictate it's future. The fact that company's have had a good run with it paying/paving its way. It will only last with co-operation....1-2 years from now the landscape and desires will be different.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

It will change. For the worst.

People are well versed in giving their info away for the next new shiny object that's 'free'. They love it.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

ashrc4
Premium
australia

said by Juggernaut:

It will change. For the worst.

People are well versed in giving their info away for the next new shiny object that's 'free'. They love it.

psychological advertising in all it's perceivable guises might be the aim of the game for company's..but
quote:
1-2 years from now the landscape and desires will be different.

...my point was that the governments focus will be different.
--

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

I doubt it. I hold zero optimism for that, and I believe the focus will merely expand to include other things.

jeanmarc

join:2013-01-03
NY
reply to antdude

I will ask you to actually think!

Sure, your head and maybe even your computer may explode, but it's to save the children!

There is the gathering of personal information by the government.

There is the gathering of personal information by private companies.

Since my lifetime employment required high level security clearances , YES, Bob knows everything since I squirted out from betwixt my mothers legs.

That is a fact that is inescapable for me and I have never had a problem with it.

Now, private entities trying to extract every aspect of my life for whatever purpose, now I have a problem.

The point of my post is to have you realize that there are two distinct enemies and they must not be thrown together and cannot be dealt with in the same manner.

Of course, you "regulars" will rattle on, as you have been for a decade or more.

I know you can do it!

Cogitate!

ashrc4
Premium
australia

said by jeanmarc:

That is a fact that is inescapable for me and I have never had a problem with it.

Now, private entities trying to extract every aspect of my life for whatever purpose, now I have a problem.

The point of my post is to have you realize that there are two distinct enemies and they must not be thrown together and cannot be dealt with in the same manner.

Of course, you "regulars" will rattle on, as you have been for a decade or more.

I've been saying that for only 7 years now.

--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to jeanmarc

said by jeanmarc:

Cogitate!

That sounds painful. Do I have to?
--

OZO
Premium
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Until the gummint embeds a chip in you at birth you can avoid a lot of stuff but not all.

And why do you think that they are not working on this chip right now? Especially if there is going to be no opposition to that in the name of supposed extra security, to protect our children and the rest of us from terrorists...

Please, don't underestimate those, who want to put the rest of us in virtual cells to see and control over everything we're dong. Next time you want to buy a car you'll discover that: a) they make it illegal to turn any surveillance devices off (a "Mew Millennium Act" or something similar); b) fuse, that connects build-in GPS, is simultaneously used for controlling car engine... I've seen similar tricks a lot and that makes me sure, that it's going to happen with cars too.
--

OZO
Premium
reply to StuartMW

And one more thing, now related to the choice

said by StuartMW:

I stand by my post. You do have a choice.

There will be time, when unless you produce your own devices (a phone, a vehicle, etc, which you obviously can't do by yourself), you're going to take what the others make for you. And if those others are big corporations, interested in controlling you, you'll have no choices at all but to take and use it...
--

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to jeanmarc

said by jeanmarc:

Like they have since the late 50's?

I would guess that if you didn't have clearances you would find that the marketing firms knew more about you than the govt. did for many decades now.

ashrc4
Premium
australia
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

And one more thing, now related to the choice
There will be time, when unless you produce your own devices (a phone, a vehicle, etc, which you obviously can't do by yourself), you're going to take what the others make for you. And if those others are big corporations, interested in controlling you, you'll have no choices at all but to take and use it...

It's nearly fully developed in the new media devices.
Generic datamanagement middleware for ambient intelligent multimedia applications software is already being paired with hardware like "streetTIVO".
Devices such as this aim to control your media viewing
quote:
that are able to assimilate to a changing environment (context aware applications). As a central component in this middleware, the partners work on the development of an XML DBMS, with efficient support for peer to peer communication, multimedia annotations, XML full-text research, and automatic data integration based on insecurities in data.
Using historical data specific to an individual.
A nice you tube video to watch;
»www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···Mop0Ep3U

said by OZO:

you'll discover that: a) they make it illegal to turn any surveillance devices off (a "Mew Millennium Act" or something similar)

The trucking and taxi industry already has such systems in place.
--

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to antdude

--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to antdude

Hmm. Since the initial post lacks any quotations (other than the title of Schneier's article) and only consists of links, it's hard to see how it could ever violate anyone's copyright. While it may not contain any posting comments, it remains to be seen whether the rule's need for a poster's comments was included in order to supply "value-added" content to avoid copyright issues when quotations are included. That's really for WCB et al to define more clearly... though my own thoughts are that a poster's own 'original' comments ought to be required, lest the forum become something of a headline news source.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

antdude See Profile has been posting like this for years. Either he hasn't read the new rules or is ignoring them.

I know a few of his threads have been deleted recently.
--

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada

I for one would very much appreciate if people would include a comment and/or a brief summary instead of just posting links and a vague title.

Tell us, in their own words, a little bit about the article that is being linked to.