uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nayan3

join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL
kudos:1
reply to billd104

Re: [Tampa] Netflix not streaming in HD

I never have an issue with Amazon so I believe you're right Billd. I will just chalk it up as a Netflix issue.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
I have noticed that the first 30 seconds or so when I start a show is not in HD but after that its fine for the whole episode lately.

Hawkster

join:2013-05-26
Clearwater, FL
Agreed, well at least last night. To be continued.

billd104

join:2009-01-30
Oldsmar, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to tim tim tim
said by tim tim tim:

I have noticed that the first 30 seconds or so when I start a show is not in HD but after that its fine for the whole episode lately.

That's normal behavior for Netflix. Their streaming resolutions are 240SD, 384SD, 480SD, 480HD, 720HD, 1080HD. They are conserving bandwidth by streaming the first 30-60 seconds of shows starting at a very low resolution, 480SD or lower sometimes (I've seen it as low as 240SD on Friday and Saturday prime time) and it progressively steps up thru 240SD, 384SD, 480SD, 480HD, 720HD, 1080HD depending on the load and available bandwidth.

Hawkster

join:2013-05-26
Clearwater, FL
reply to Hawkster
Not streaming in HD tonight. One bar out of three on XBL. Starting, stopping and restarting the stream didn't improve my picture.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
reply to billd104
Thanks guys...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to billd104
All of you guys who have not posted in direct forums as requested above please do so by Sunday night...I need your headcount

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to billd104
Okay...any and all in this thread with this issue I need your to *PM* me your IP address not later than 2pm Weds. Goto google and type what is my IP and just simply put that into a PM to me.

mapderf

join:2012-10-04
Seminole, FL
reply to billd104
Hey BHNtechXpert I have posted to my thread on the direct forum. Realize that today is the 6th so missed the Wednesday deadline. I believe the mac address of the modem is in my direct thread. If you need ip address let me know in the direct thread.

Thanks

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to billd104
Yep I got took yours from there thanks.

Art Deco

join:2011-04-27
reply to billd104
Has anyone been able to improve their Netflix streaming as a result of steps taken in the private forums? I'm having the same issue with it not streaming HD (while Amazon Instant or say, mlb.tv, has no problem doing so)

If so, I'll open up a thread there too.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to billd104
The issue is Netflix and Cogent their primary transit provider. As much as I want to hit a button and tell you we could fix it we can't. Netflix and Cogent are both aware and they know how to fix it.

Nayan3

Melbourne, FL
reply to Art Deco
It's a Netflix issue. Also I've noticed that depending on the time of day/night you watch depends if you get HD or not. Last night (this morning?) I got home close to 4 a.m. and had no issue getting my movie in HD. If I try it now forget it, it ain't happening . It sucks, but like Gary said they know how to fix it, but I don't see a fix coming anytime soon.

Art Deco

reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

The issue is Netflix and Cogent their primary transit provider. As much as I want to hit a button and tell you we could fix it we can't. Netflix and Cogent are both aware and they know how to fix it.

That's what I figured, just didn't know if anyone was able to apply any tweaks that might help.

billd104

join:2009-01-30
Oldsmar, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Thanks Gary... That's kind of what I thought but it's nice to have conformation.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to billd104
NP guys...nothing has changed on this unfortunately. You all have been very patient and I appreciate your willingness to see the bigger picture here.

jwt

@rr.com
First time posting so hope this isn't old news. From my pc laptop, Win7, high-speed internet, when Netflix won't stream HD I reduce the Window (not full screen or it won't work). Select Ctrl, Alt, Shift, and S. That brings up the Stream Manager which allows you to manually select the buffer rate. Select a high speed buffer rate and you will find Netflix instantly begins to buffer HD and eventually plays in HD.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by jwt :

First time posting so hope this isn't old news. From my pc laptop, Win7, high-speed internet, when Netflix won't stream HD I reduce the Window (not full screen or it won't work). Select Ctrl, Alt, Shift, and S. That brings up the Stream Manager which allows you to manually select the buffer rate. Select a high speed buffer rate and you will find Netflix instantly begins to buffer HD and eventually plays in HD.

Great idea for PC based but won't work for Netflix enabled appliances.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Art Deco

reply to billd104
It seems like it might be getting better - last night I streamed a full movie in HD from around 6:30-8:30PM through a Roku, and earlier in the week I had noticed that streaming through the Xbox would make start off in the first minute or two in low resolution, but ultimately end up in HD for the duration.

darcwun

@sbcglobal.net
I am in Atlanta, same issue here for the last 3 weeks , never had an issue with Netflix in 2+ years but for the last 3 weeks HD has been intermittent, more than half the time i get SD quality and low quality about 10% of the time. Chatted with Netflix and they blamed my ISP ATT Uverse. My connections seems to be fine with no negative impact on any other site , tried 5 devices with wired and wireless with same results.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by darcwun :

I am in Atlanta, same issue here for the last 3 weeks , never had an issue with Netflix in 2+ years but for the last 3 weeks HD has been intermittent, more than half the time i get SD quality and low quality about 10% of the time. Chatted with Netflix and they blamed my ISP ATT Uverse. My connections seems to be fine with no negative impact on any other site , tried 5 devices with wired and wireless with same results.

While it's convenient for Netflix to blame everyone else (apparently they are having this problem with several providers) the reality is Netflix and Cogent are ultimately responsible. They know why it's happening (and so do we) and they know how to fix it.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

GeoJetson

join:2007-11-12
Maitland, FL
Thanks for keeping us in the loop on this, Gary. It's good to have someone who understands the issue and the frustration out here.

FWIW, I'm one of (many?) who are following this thread but didn't send our specific data for analysis...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by GeoJetson:

Thanks for keeping us in the loop on this, Gary. It's good to have someone who understands the issue and the frustration out here.

FWIW, I'm one of (many?) who are following this thread but didn't send our specific data for analysis...

I completely understand. I have Netflix enabled devices all over my home literally in every room when you consider most of my televisions are web enabled, the rokus appletv's you name it I have it. Netflix however is not a replacement service but instead used to augment my existing services.
--

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

While it's convenient for Netflix to blame everyone else (apparently they are having this problem with several providers) the reality is Netflix and Cogent are ultimately responsible. They know why it's happening (and so do we) and they know how to fix it.

Thanks for following up on this issue. We'll see how long it takes for them to "fix" it now. Call in the press...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to billd104
Slowly but surely "The Press" is figuring it out....how long they continue to get a pass on the obvious is anyones guess at this point. The unfortunate part is you folks are the ones suffering for it in the meantime. We will do everything we can to assist but it's really in their hands at this point.

Nayan3

Melbourne, FL
reply to billd104
It does seem to be getting better though. I watched a movie during prime-time last night (when I usually have the biggest issue) and it streamed HD all the way through with no buffering.

iblogleft

join:2013-08-03
reply to billd104
It is a peering issue. All about the money... The media does know this is happening, but they are being very quiet about it, and the one story I read was not pointing any fingers.

We just have to be patient. Of course, for the money we spend on broadband, you would think we would have a dog in this fight.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by iblogleft:

It is a peering issue. All about the money... The media does know this is happening, but they are being very quiet about it, and the one story I read was not pointing any fingers.

We just have to be patient. Of course, for the money we spend on broadband, you would think we would have a dog in this fight.

You do and a lot is going on behind the scenes in effort to make things better. I know it's hard and frustrating but trust me when I say this has everyones attention and everything is being done that can be done for now.
--

telijah
Premium
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to billd104
I hadn't used Netflix in quite some time, however, a friend has been staying with me more often and we've been using her account, and I haven't noticed any problems with HD streaming, both through my HTPC wired in the living room, and on the Logitech Revue (wireless) in the bedroom via Netflix app. Was this only happening in certain markets?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to billd104
It's hit n miss depending on what server you bounce off of.