All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Magmaros
join:2013-05-21

Magmaros

[Windows] A Weird Wifi Issue.

Hey all, I'm having a weird issue with the wifi here, I currently have 3 devices hooked up to the wifi, my cell phone, my ipad and my laptop, both my cell phone and my ipad get good 15+ mbit connections, my other desktop, which is plugged in directly via ethernet also gets 20+mbit.

But for some reason, this laptop, which is my primary machine, will get that 15+mbit, for the first few minutes that I use it, then it nose dives down to 1mbit. Upload doesn't seem to be affected, I get 2.5mbit all round, even with this machine, ping is also good, but I get almost no download bandwidth.

Any ideas as to what this might be?
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink

Make certain you have the latest driver for your wireless chip.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Magmaros

MVM

to Magmaros
Start by downloading InSSIDer and checking for interference from neighboring networks. You may need to change the channel on your router (use 1, 6, or 11).
Magmaros

Magmaros

Drivers are fine according to windows.

I grabbed InSSIDer and it looks like I'm getting a good signal. -60dbm.

There's a few overlapping networks, but the blue line for my signal is staying up above those.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

What is the age of the laptop. Typically smartphones Ipads have the latest N chips in them. You may have an older one in the laptop.
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink to Magmaros

to Magmaros
said by Magmaros:

Drivers are fine according to windows.

This is a poor way to check for newer drivers. I recommend going to the web site of your wireless chip manufacturer and seeing if there is a newer driver.
Magmaros

Magmaros to Anav

to Anav
said by Anav:

What is the age of the laptop. Typically smartphones Ipads have the latest N chips in them. You may have an older one in the laptop.

3 month old Clevo P150 machine, with a Realtek RTL8723AE chipset, and as far as I can find, the drivers are up to date,
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Magmaros

MVM

to Magmaros
Get IPERF or similar, and from the laptop over wireless to another machine on the LAN run a throughput test equal to
or longer than the period it takes for the transfer speeds to start cratering. If the laptop and the wireless are able
sustain it, then it's something outside your network.

My 00000010bits

Regards