All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mightyhog
join:2003-02-22
Nazareth, PA

mightyhog

[Other] Xbox One and it's use on RCN/Tivo.

It may be far too soon for this question but I thought I'd just throw it out there. With MS's announcement and huge investment in TV being an important part of the new Xbox One "console" experience, what is the likely hood that this experience will work with the current Tivo boxes?

Essentially, the Xbox One can control your TV experience via HMDI pass-through and allow users to instantly flip between gaming, TV, media consumption, etc. all on one box. I'm just curious at this point if I'm going to be able to take advantage of this functionality at launch. Will the Xbox One be able to communicate via HDMI with my Tivo for use as the tuners and guide info? Is this something RCN has to support fully in order for this to work? I understand the Xbox One won't be able to access VOD and probably the DVR functionality of the Tivo, right now , but being able to switch channels by simply saying what I want to watch, via Kinect, would blow my kids' minds.

Thanks.

LewisD
@comcastbusiness.net

LewisD

Anon

Can the on-screen EPG graphics be turned off on the Tivo Premiere? If so, then there shouldn't be an issue I would think. The Xbox One has an IR blaster and Microsoft is providing it's own program guide, so like you, the only concern I have is how the Tivo's DVR is incorporated...since the Xbox One has a larger built-in hard drive and the option to add an external HDD, perhaps the system has DVR functionality built-in?

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium Member
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA

shadyman777 to mightyhog

Premium Member

to mightyhog
I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but I can control my TiVo via my Wii U through the TVii feature. I don't know the specifics, but I don't see how the on screen guide would cause an issue. It goes away after awhile and i'm sure Microsoft will have a button to close the guide like my Wii U has.
mightyhog
join:2003-02-22
Nazareth, PA

mightyhog

The Xbox One definitely has DVR function built-in for gaming, it just hasn't been shown in detail yet. E3 and BUILD conf will show more and answer some questions I hope. Recording game play and sharing to social sites will be popular next-gen on both consoles. I'm sure TV DVR functionality could be added in the future or it could be there already. Nothing has been talked about yet regarding DVR. I'm really hoping this all works seamlessly via Kinect and voice on day one though.