All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Jeff35582
join:2002-10-25
Snellville, GA

Jeff35582 to Hayward0

to Hayward0

Re: [Southeast] AT&T IFITL DSL service grossly oversubscribed.

I did go to the Direct forum, they got me in contact with some wonderful people that were some of the most contemptuous that I have ever spoken to.
This is not an issue with IFITL being problematic.
In fact it always was very stable and reliable in my area, but that's not what is up for debate.
DSL is obviously not frozen because they have removed vast amounts of our available bandwidth, because the DSL capacity is obviously much lower than it was 2 years ago, yet our bandwidth has been drastically cut.
You are failing to see the big picture here this situation could instantaneously be resolved by reallocating an appropriate amount of bandwidth. If they can't and won't do that now then the U-verse is going to be grossly oversubscribed as they continue porting more customers to it.

To beat all they continue to sell new service I had a neighbor order it last week, which will further degrade the service. They are willfully and knowingly selling a service that they know is broken, have admitted is broken only to make it even worse than it already is.
If DSL was 'frozen' as you say he would not have been able to order it.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0

Premium Member

Well again not what I am trying to say.

But you have stated Uverse is all arround you just not to you yet. It will likely be soon and where their development efforts are going not DSL.

Unless you can get someone in direct to pull some magic string or get your state PSC to intervine you likely will be stuck with what you have.

And OK there maybe not yet... but I guarantte you the second Uverse is available all DSL sales and service changes but to Unevse will cease.

Sorry that is your situation, and yes I am fortunate me on an island of fixed known geo and pop market size DSL has always been very consistant vs markets where growth is unlimited and not the infrastructure to support it.

Just saying.... unless you can get some strings pulled I see no change until Uverse like soon arrives if all around you.... and you will be ready to jump at... were as me the DSL works fine and have resisted Uverse.... only because they want you to buy everything and the ktchen sink servive and I hate putting all my eggs in one basket where one thig fails EVERTHING does.

Uverse internet service alone is not at all attractive.... and still QOS must be maintained and fixed regulated POTS line.... Uverse basically VOIP again that goes away too. POTS line through many hurricannes has never gone down.... while again unregulated cable down for weeks. Uverse is the same thing not reg QOS regs.... great when it works but no hurry to repair or QOS to maintain.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to Jeff35582

to Jeff35582
The amount of misinformation you spew is epic. FITL is still on the same dedicated 4 DS1's per 96 customers it has been. There is NOTHING shared between the frame relay feeds FITL is on, and the IP backbone Uverse is on. The Alcatel 7330's have a 1G link, and it can easily be upgraded to 10G. Oh, and that is split between a max of 384 customers.

I understand you have an issue, but you're blaming it on the wrong things. You're on an old service. I'm sorry you have to deal with it, but those are the cards you hold until they find it profitable enough to upgrade you.
Jeff35582
Snellville, GA

Jeff35582

You seem to know a lot more about the core equipment than me. I'll concede that it is not what is being contested here.
They have obviously did one or more of the following.

over consolidated the IFITL connections in the 7330's
dropped them all down to 1G from 10G.

Whatever the case my connection is DRASTICALLY WORSE than it ever has been. The reason it is bad is because of lack of bandwidth or exceeding the hardwares capacity.

I have had the connection since the very day they offered accounts, it has had it's ups and downs but it has overall been extremely reliable. The only other exception was in Jan-July of 2010 when the EXACT SAME situation arose it was fixed by expanding capacity.
Now I'm pretty damn sure some of the IFITL customers have been upgraded to U-Verse, in any even the number of NEW IFITL/DSL services have not put the level of stress I'm seeing on that network. The ONLY answer here is the capacity of the service that I had has been DRASTICALLY reduced for it to perform at less than ~35% of 1.5Mb for 8hr+ each and every day.

There is no misinformation there.
I have been told by AT&T employees that they know about the issue, they just don't care. They have stated that, it is disgusting but it is what one would expect I guess.

You can be a fanboi all you want and act as if they have not made significant changes that reduce the IFITL capacity of I guess my particular cabinent OR the capacity of the network that feeds them.

I'm not crazy, I'm not an idiot, this problem was created by AT&T cutting corners somewhere and it most certainly related to U-Verse.
dmcbass
join:2012-12-12
Lawrenceville, GA

dmcbass

I spoke with one of my friends in the DSG early this month and was told again that it is a known capacity issue and the RT site on Webb Ginn is due a hardware addition in 3 or 4 months to better disperse the load between switches.
Do I believe that, no not really.
Odd thing is that most of my neighbors have left AT&T and the speeds continue to worsen.
Another thing is that I can no longer record my speed tests on this site, minor irritation.
Jeff35582
Snellville, GA

Jeff35582

The speeds continue to worsen because as more people leave and more U-Verse conversion are done the bandwidth that the cabinets that service us is being cut more and more.

You can see that the fanboi telling me I don't know what I am talking about has tucked tail and disappeared.

He acts as if I don't know that my service has been far better ALWAYS regardless of the time of day above 1.5 until recently, except for an extended issue that was resolved in 2010.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0

Premium Member

You just don't get it yet....

Yes they DON'T care where UVERSE is present they want everyone to convert and DSL to just go away.

Your situation just is highly unlikely to change unless you do. DSL is basically frozen as is, with no further development and yes maybe even diverted resources.

Unless you want to go to he local PSC or something to try and force them. Very doubtful ATT will do anything if its a resource and not line issue.

Sorry you are in a dense enough an area its become problematic.
But it is very unlikely since UVERSE came in they have sold any DSL to anyone new.
Heck I am getting more Uverse junk mail than I am from Comcast and even a few knocks on the door....SE ATT just wants DSL to go away.

And remember that little escape clause... consumer DSL is a best effort not guaranteed service.
Jeff35582
Snellville, GA

Jeff35582

No, apparently you don't get it.

AT&T has intentionally and willfully lowered the quality of service delivered to IFITL customers. It is unacceptable for the bandwidth to be taken away from us at these levels, the service I get now is 1/7th to 1/10th what I got 3-4 months ago.

The problem I have is AT&T is my only viable option, they know that and since there is no competition for them there is no incentive to do anything about it, and nothing will ever be done about it, EVER with sat and LTE which the bandwidth limitations nullify any viability it has.

This probably is an effort to force DSL into upgrading to U-Verse.
The local PSC has no real leverage over AT&T, they are more for local telco's and utilities. The FCC is a worthless government entity with the people that are in place to handle issue on the take from companies like AT&T so nothing can be accomplished there either, they don't even respond to complaints.

Consumer DSL being best effort and not guaranteed service?

How exactly is it best effort when AT&T is willfully reallocating the bandwidth to a point that they know without a doubt that service will be and has been severely degraded as a result?

If I could get U-Verse I would, I can't and I along with many hundreds, if not thousands of users get crap for service.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by Jeff35582:

This probably is an effort to force DSL into upgrading to U-Verse.
The local PSC has no real leverage over AT&T, they are more for local telco's and utilities.

Again there is NO PROBABLY about it, that is their intent.
Unfortunately you are in a dense enough under resourced area to become a problem... hasn't yet here but likely will eventually if they get enough UVERSE customers, but they might pull the plug on DSL all together by then.

Where both exist the resource priority definitely goes to the more bandwidth demanding to keep viable UVERSE

As you have said regulatory stuff is pretty powerlessly deregulated these days.... so its switch or live with it. Even POTS doesn't have the QOS regulations it did just a few years ago... thanks Republicans-Tea Baggers.