Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

djc6

join:2007-11-28
Cleveland, OH

[TWC] Can CableCard + TA be stable and problem free?

I'm considering switching my elderly mother from DirecTV to Time Warner, but the Navigator UI is horrible - I had DTV and switched back because of how awful it is.

My question is, would CableCard + Tuning Adapter + TiVo be stable/problem free enough for my mother? She has zero interest in doing any sort of regular troubleshooting and just wants things to work.

My friend in LA has TWC + CableCard and bitched that it took like 3-4 cards before he got one that worked, they kept mailing him bum cards. I'm hoping that since her house has never had cable service and they'll need to install outlets, run a line from the street, etc.. that the technician will do the install and they won't mail a cablecard kit, etc.

I've also read about the suggestion issue w/the TiVo, but we've never used TiVo so I don't know that I would miss it I just can't stand the DVR playback interface and the channel guide on Navigator.

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
As much as I love my CableCard tuner, I would not recommend it for people who are not technologically adept. Even once you get everything set up right initially, you can have problems where you need to reset the Tuning Adapter or where the CableCard becomes unpaired or where something is just wrong with the CableCard lineup that is fine for all the cableco boxes (for instance I had about 5 channels that would not work with my CableCard tuner, some of which had worked fine previously mind you, that worked fine on the TWC box for about 3 months before TWC was finally able to fix it).

MeInDallas

join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX
reply to djc6
I wouldnt recommend it for your mom. If she is anything like my mom she will throw it out the window. If you were getting it for yourself, then I'd say give it a try, you have the 30 day window to return it if you want.

Here in Dallas the whole cable card situation is pretty good doing the self install, and you can go to the office and pick up your cards and tuning adapters, or trade them out real quick if you need to. Then you have the toll free number to the cable card hotline which is really easy to get them paired up, and they are pretty good about that.

If it wasnt for that demonic tuning adapter I'd say yes. I cant imagine my mother trying to work the whole thing. She would pull a switch off the nearest tree and chase me down the street with it

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by MeInDallas:

I wouldnt recommend it for your mom. If she is anything like my mom she will throw it out the window. If you were getting it for yourself, then I'd say give it a try, you have the 30 day window to return it if you want.

Here in Dallas the whole cable card situation is pretty good doing the self install, and you can go to the office and pick up your cards and tuning adapters, or trade them out real quick if you need to. Then you have the toll free number to the cable card hotline which is really easy to get them paired up, and they are pretty good about that.

If it wasnt for that demonic tuning adapter I'd say yes. I cant imagine my mother trying to work the whole thing. She would pull a switch off the nearest tree and chase me down the street with it

I am surprised that at least the motorola areas don't have as many problems with tuning adapters as the Cisco areas.

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to djc6
I'm in Dallas, I moved January a year ago. Sadly the DVD of the roof blocked DirecTV's slimline dish. With two hd drv's and a 14 year history I was distraught. Quickly I determined leasing TWC equipment was not gonna happen. I went back to TiVo, my first DVR experience with DirecTV.

It took 3 tuning adapters and 7 mos to get one working stable. Then month 9 I decided to add the second TiVo. The timing adapter in the self install kit was DOA. Truck told the tuning adapter on his truck was, you guessed it DOA. I told them I'm not doing this again if they can't get the second TA working today day I'm pulling everything of theirs..they e visited two more tuning adapters same day, the first one was DOA.

No problems since and that was 9 months ago. I threatened to dump them repeatedly, wanted to pull my hair out. I miss channels that DirecTV had not carried by TWC like HDNet and HDNMovies, 3D Net...TWC 3D offerings stink..
--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

-- DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.09NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.40 {1 @ 5ghz bridge mode; 2nd semi-retired} / Motorola SB6141

Zupper
Premium
join:2002-12-28
Novelty, OH
reply to djc6
I just went through this in the Cleveland East Suburbs. It took two calls (about 1.5 hours total) to get the cable card and TA working at all with a new Tivo Premier 4. Then noticed I wasn't getting all the channels, so needed another call to get that resolved. After that was all setup, I have had one instance where the Tivo would not tune anything, and a power reset seemed to resolve it. This has only been one month.

So, based on my experience thus far, I would not recommend this for my elderly parents. Seems to be too much opportunity for something to not work right.

Perhaps you already had this with the DTV, but the Tivo does require an internet connection, so you have to figure in that setup as well.

If TWC would need to do a full install in the house anyway, I would just start her out with all TWC hardware, and let them install it and get it working. I think there are usually pretty good deals for new customers.