telcodad to SpHeRe31459

MVM

to SpHeRe31459

Re: WOW

said by SpHeRe31459:

:
Found the source of the quote you posted:
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 9/page/2

I see you asked Kara about the hard drive size differences, I'll be interested to see her answer.

Here's her answer, sounds like a 500GB hard drive to me:

quote:
the X1 DVR boxes can currently store 60 hours HD or 200 hours SD. The [External Hard Drives] PDF is being updated to reflect the correct storage information.

telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by SpHeRe31459:

:

I see you asked Kara about the hard drive size differences, I'll be interested to see her answer.

quote:
the X1 DVR boxes can currently store 60 hours HD or 200 hours SD. The [External Hard Drives] PDF is being updated to reflect the correct storage information.

Well, if you think you might need more space, you could try replacing [though it would void the warranty ] the XG1's 500GB hard drive with this 4TB one just announced by Seagate:

Seagate Reveals Industry's First Purpose-Built 4TB Video Hard Disk Drive.
Seagate Develops Purpose-Built Hard Disk Drive for Video

By Anton Shilov, X-bit labs - May 21, 2013
»www.xbitlabs.com/news/ot ··· ive.html
novanosis
join:2011-02-21

novanosis

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

said by SpHeRe31459:

:

quote:

Well, if you think you might need more space, you could try replacing [though it would void the warranty ] the XG1's 500GB hard drive with this 4TB one just announced by Seagate:

Seagate Reveals Industry's First Purpose-Built 4TB Video Hard Disk Drive.
Seagate Develops Purpose-Built Hard Disk Drive for Video

By Anton Shilov, X-bit labs - May 21, 2013
»www.xbitlabs.com/news/ot ··· ive.html

That would be great, but if the XG1s software does not have the option to format that would be a problem. One way to find out....

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by SpHeRe31459:

:

quote:

FYI - The latest, May 24th update of that External Hard Drives PDF file (»media2.comcast.net/anon. ··· 4-13.pdf), instead of previously stating: "... and is not currently compatible with DVRs on the XFINITY TV X1 platform; that DVR includes a 1TB internal hard drive." has now dropped the underlined part.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

so that takes away one positive for the x1. How can Comcast offer a box with ONLY 500gb drive in this day and age? Dish and directv have at least 1gb hard drives in their genie and hopper.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

A blog item on the X1 Platform on the Philadelphia Magazine site today:

Inside Comcast’s New Super-DVR, the X1
What you’ll get and how you can get it.

By Richard Rys, Philadelphia Magazine - May 29, 2013
»blogs.phillymag.com/the_ ··· -review/

Note that in the "Capacity" section it says: "The X1 boasts 500 GB, ..."

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

400 upgrades that resulted in no service interruptions???

Hmmmmm.....
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to telcodad

to telcodad
right now, theres little hope of breaking free from Comcasts choke hold. FiOS still isnt available in my neighborhood, and as a sports junkie, I wont switch to satellite without Comcast SportsNet.

that is how said it is in Philly with the lock on local sports.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q

said by Joe12345678:

right now, theres little hope of breaking free from Comcasts choke hold. FiOS still isnt available in my neighborhood, and as a sports junkie, I wont switch to satellite without Comcast SportsNet.

that is how said it is in Philly with the lock on local sports.

In Philly, Comcast SportsNet is available on Verizon Fios today. That would not be a "lock". CSN Phlily on satellite is a different story for a different thread.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

X1 Remote Voice Control

An article on the MCN site about Comcast adding a voice control feature to its X1 Remote:

Comcast Brings Voice Control to X1 Remote
Feature Runs on X1 iPhone App; MSO to Extend Voice Recognition to Androids and ‘Traditional’ Remotes

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - May 29, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· e/143551

While the feature is demonstrated here »platformuniv-p.edgesuite ··· o_V2.mp4 , I believe it's also shown-off in this commercial:

X1 Platform featuring Mindy Kaling
»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· n75iYkQg

EDIT: The Comcast press release: »www.businesswire.com/new ··· -Control
macnbc
join:2009-01-12
Arlington, VA

macnbc

Yes, I was playing with the iOS app controlling my X1 the other day. It actually works pretty well, though it can be a little picky about how it wants the user to phrase things.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

FYI - Time Warner Cable is currently trialing their version of the X1 Platform, expected to launch later this year:

TWC Testing Cloud-Based UI in Employee Homes
Marcus: New Guide, to Run on Hybrid Gateways, ‘On Track’ for Launch in 2013

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - May 30, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/dis ··· s/143582

It will be interesting to see if they finish the beta testing of it with their customers, like Comcast did with the X1!

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by telcodad:

It will be interesting to see if they finish the beta testing of it with their customers, like Comcast did with the X1!

They most likely will! They've been "beta" testing Navigator with customers for the last few years now!

I'll be interested to see what the UI looks like. Looking forward to the YouTube reviews when it becomes available.