Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5

New XR5 RF/IR Remote now available

The XR5 is Comcast's newest remote, it was designed to improve the XFINITY TV viewing experience and is available for use with Comcast set-top boxes running the latest versions of the on-screen guides such as X1 and On Screen Guide 2.0. This premium remote control is ergonomically designed to be easier to handle and feel better in your hand, putting the buttons you use most often within easy reach.

With fewer buttons than previous remotes, you can quickly find the functions you're looking. It also has a high-quality finish and convenient backlit buttons for ease of use in dimly lit rooms.

With a built in accelerometer, the XR5 lights up when you move it, avoiding the need to press a button to activate like many backlit remotes on the market.

The XR5 is currently optimized for use with X1 and OSG 2.0

Features:

- 3-second Amber Backlight
- Uses 2-AA Batteries (included)
- Supports both IR and RF* modes.
- TV IR Control Database - TV Power, Volume, Mute
- Home Theater (AVR) Overlay Feature - All Power, Volume, Mute

* RF mode requires an RF capable STB with the X1 Guide

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Hmm. No day+/-, no true pause (with the old remotes, hitting pause while paused will step one frame at a time.) No STOP? Does it support a 3rd device like a receiver for audio?

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

XR5 photo vs XR2
What's strange to me, is that the picture provided for the XR5 looks no different than the current XR2 (»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···v-remote).

I'm figuring that this is not what the XR5 actually looks like, but someone just used an XR2 photo as a temporary placeholder.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

4 edits
reply to andyross

The one BIG, BIG problem for me, is it most likely does NOT have all the "hidden codes" in it, like the regular silver/bronze CC remotes have - the "BIG problem" being NO 30-sec skip ahead.

Also, it would have been really nice if they had put in (IR) learning capability as well; would practically eliminate issues with not having IR codes for a particular device/brand. (DISH has had it on their remotes for some time)

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

quote:
[The XR5] is available for use with Comcast set-top boxes running the latest versions of the on-screen guides such as X1 and On Screen Guide 2.0.
:
The XR5 is currently optimized for use with X1 and OSG 2.0

Actually, I would also expect that the XR5 would work with the new HD-DTAs (»[Comcast Equip] HD-DTA's are here in Springfield, IL - a review), which are currently supplied with XR2 remotes.

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to telcodad

"3-second Amber Backlight"

Does this actually mean all or must of the buttons actually light up now? If so this is awesome news as I always hated that the comcast remotes don't have backlight for the buttons.

I am wondering how long before we can pick these up at the local Comcast office for free?

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

What's strange to me, is that the picture provided for the XR5 looks no different than the current XR2 (»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···v-remote).

I'm figuring that this is not what the XR5 actually looks like, but someone just used an XR2 photo as a temporary placeholder.

"and convenient backlit buttons for ease of use in dimly lit rooms."

That's another thing, do those buttons, in the picture provided for the XR5, look like they could be backlit?

novanosis

join:2011-02-21
kudos:1
reply to dishrich

said by dishrich:

The one BIG, BIG problem for me, is it most likely does NOT have all the "hidden codes" in it, like the regular silver/bronze CC remotes have - the "BIG problem" being NO 30-sec skip ahead.

Also, it would have been really nice if they had put in (IR) learning capability as well; would practically eliminate issues with not having IR codes for a particular device/brand. (DISH has had it on their remotes for some time)

You can program the XR2 remote with the 30second skip using the page up and down buttons. I did this myself as default is 5 minutes I believe.

novanosis

said by novanosis:

said by dishrich:

You can program the XR2 remote with the 30second skip using the page up and down buttons. I did this myself as default is 5 minutes I believe.

the page up button (pg) is set by default to skip ahead 5 minutes. you can reprogram the box itself so that a page up command will instead skip ahead 30 seconds. from the xfinity xr2 remote, press "Exit" button 3 times, the press "0030".
then try the xfinity xr2 remote, start playing a recording, press "pg up" button. it should now skip 30 seconds. you can then go into your harmony remote and customize your settings for the PVR. assign "PageUp" function to "Skip Forward" button.

novanosis

reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

"and convenient backlit buttons for ease of use in dimly lit rooms."

That's another thing, do those buttons, in the picture provided for the XR5, look like they could be backlit?

It might just light up the white lettering and numbers.

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
reply to novanosis

said by novanosis:

said by novanosis:

said by dishrich:

the page up button (pg) is set by default to skip ahead 5 minutes. you can reprogram the box itself so that a page up command will instead skip ahead 30 seconds. from the xfinity xr2 remote, press "Exit" button 3 times, the press "0030".
then try the xfinity xr2 remote, start playing a recording, press "pg up" button. it should now skip 30 seconds. you can then go into your harmony remote and customize your settings for the PVR. assign "PageUp" function to "Skip Forward" button.

Thanks for the "30 Second Skip" it worked!

Much better the the default "5 minute Skip"

This really comes in handy for when watching On Demand shows that don't allow you to fast forward.

novanosis

said by gate1975mlm:

This really comes in handy for when watching On Demand shows that don't allow you to fast forward.

Did you actually try it in on demand because that would be awesome if I can skip the ads.

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA

said by novanosis:

said by gate1975mlm:

Did you actually try it in on demand because that would be awesome if I can skip the ads.

Yes I just tried it with the show Bones from Fox On Demand and it worked

Also when you hit the down page button it seems to only jump back around 14 seconds instead of 30 seconds for some reason.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to novanosis

said by novanosis:

said by novanosis:

said by dishrich:

I assume this is only for X1 software? On iGuide, as far as I know, you cannot change the skip amount on the box. You can program to send a different code, which you can bind to another key, that does 30-second skip.

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
reply to gate1975mlm

Is this new also?

"Home Theater (AVR) Overlay Feature - All Power, Volume, Mute"

novanosis

reply to gate1975mlm

said by gate1975mlm:

said by novanosis:

said by gate1975mlm:

Yes I just tried it with the show Bones from Fox On Demand and it worked

Also when you hit the down page button it seems to only jump back around 14 seconds instead of 30 seconds for some reason.

See if its accurate on a DVR recording, if so then that's just on demand.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to gate1975mlm

said by gate1975mlm:

Is this new also?

"Home Theater (AVR) Overlay Feature - All Power, Volume, Mute"

I think this feature (A/V Receiver control) was introduced with "Version R2" of the XR2:

quote:
Versions of the XR2 Remote

There are two versions of the XR2 Remote - Version R1 and Version R2. To determine the version number, look at the bottom of the back of your remote.

Version R1 of the XR2 Remote will only control specific Comcast set-top boxes and HD DTA devices, and can also be programmed to control the volume of your TV OR audio device such as a sound system. Version R1 of the remote cannot be programmed to control both a TV and audio device. You can only program this version of the remote with one device code.
Version R2 of the XR2 Remote has all the same features and functions of Version R1, plus it can also be programmed to control both a TV and audio device such as a sound system.

:

9. How can I control a sound system with the XR2 Remote?

Check the bottom of the back of your remote to determine what version of the XR2 Remote you have. If you have version R1 of the XR2 Remote, you can program your remote to control an audio device such as a sound system instead of a TV.
:
If you have version R2 of the XR2 Remote, you can program your remote to control BOTH a TV as well as an audio device.
:
Once the remote is programmed to control both the TV and audio device, it will control the power of your TV AND the power and volume (including mute) of your audio device.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

can you get this remote for the current boxes running iguide?

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by mikedz4:

can you get this remote for the current boxes running iguide?

I guess you could, as it works in IR mode also, but I don't think it would give you any more features, and in fact, it's missing some buttons that are on the previous remotes.

As it says, it's "currently optimized for use with X1 and OSG 2.0"

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to telcodad

If anyone has one, or has seen one, does it have the 6-pin header in the battery compartment like the older remotes?

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to telcodad

I love this remote. I want this remote for everything I own. I wish TiVo would come up with a remote like this, especially the battery level feature.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

teddystacker

join:2001-12-08
Philadelphia, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to telcodad

Went into my local Comcast office today (in Philly) and asked for one of these , the lady was as unfriendly as hell (as they always are) , and looked at me as if i was a Alien from outer space. I really do wonder if Comcast will ever change and want to provide this kind of "attitude" in return for the $200+ I pay them each month? - things never change with this delightful company! , I wonder if they really care?

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

1 recommendation

I stopped in at the Xfinity office near me. They were the surliest bunch I've ever seen in a customer-facing environment. They made the DMV people look friendly. Comcast has a HUGE problem with customer service, but I suspect they don't care.

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

said by owlyn:

I stopped in at the Xfinity office near me. They were the surliest bunch I've ever seen in a customer-facing environment. They made the DMV people look friendly. Comcast has a HUGE problem with customer service, but I suspect they don't care.

Going into the Comcast centers is a nightmare for sure!

I will not go into detail here but lets just say you are better off avoiding the Comcast center at least here in Philadelphia like the plague!!

They are very unfriendly, rude and don't have a clue about any of the Comcast products. The only thing they know is how to take back your old equipment and give you a receipt! loL

I wonder if it's any better in the sub burbs of Philly?

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by gate1975mlm:

said by owlyn:

I will not go into detail here but lets just say you are better of avoiding the Comcast center at least here in Philadelphia like the plague!!

They are very unfriendly, rude and don't have a clue about any of the Comcast products. The only thing they know is how to take back your old equipment and give you a receipt! loL

The one I went to IS in the suburbs.

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA

said by owlyn:

said by gate1975mlm:

said by owlyn:

I will not go into detail here but lets just say you are better of avoiding the Comcast center at least here in Philadelphia like the plague!!

The one I went to IS in the suburbs.

Guess they are no better either

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
reply to telcodad

Anyone here call 1-800-Comcast yet to see if they would send you some XR5 remotes for free?

novanosis

reply to telcodad

Does anyone have info on the different XR2 versions, I have seen R1 and U2.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

More info on the new XR5 remote (which is very similar to the XR2 and is only available online):

quote:
Currently, the remote is only available through the online Accessory Store only: »store.comcast.com/xr5-remote-con···C-100005

The primary difference between the XR2 and XR5 remotes is the backlight with built in accelerometer (the XR5 lights up when you move it, avoiding the need to press a button to activate like many backlit remotes on the market). The XR5 also has an improved fit, finish and feel.

The XR5 and XR2 remotes currently share the same online user guide: »secure.xfinity.com/anon.comcasto···2911.pdf

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

A post on the Comcast Support forum today by someone who received an XR5 remote:

quote:
Got my XR5 remote delivered yesterday. I went to the xfinity remote support page and didn't find any reference to an XR5. It only talked about XR2 R1 and R2. The remotes that came with my X1 STB's are all U2, not R1 or R2. I'm guessing the U2 version is the same as the XR5 version R1 I have. The programming instructions for the R2 says it supports an AVR, which my XR5 R1 seems to do.

So, the only difference I can see between my old XR2 version U2 and the XR5 version R1 is the backlighting and better fit and finish. Total cost with shipping was $24.94. I'm going to keep it so my wife and I can each have a remote.