MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to andyross

MVM

to andyross

Re: New XR5 RF/IR Remote now available

XR5 photo vs XR2
What's strange to me, is that the picture provided for the XR5 looks no different than the current XR2 (»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· v-remote).

I'm figuring that this is not what the XR5 actually looks like, but someone just used an XR2 photo as a temporary placeholder.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

What's strange to me, is that the picture provided for the XR5 looks no different than the current XR2 (»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· v-remote).

I'm figuring that this is not what the XR5 actually looks like, but someone just used an XR2 photo as a temporary placeholder.

"and convenient backlit buttons for ease of use in dimly lit rooms."

That's another thing, do those buttons, in the picture provided for the XR5, look like they could be backlit?
novanosis
join:2011-02-21

novanosis

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

"and convenient backlit buttons for ease of use in dimly lit rooms."

That's another thing, do those buttons, in the picture provided for the XR5, look like they could be backlit?

It might just light up the white lettering and numbers.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

More info on the new XR5 remote (which is very similar to the XR2 and is only available online):

quote:
Currently, the remote is only available through the online Accessory Store only: »store.comcast.com/xr5-re ··· C-100005

The primary difference between the XR2 and XR5 remotes is the backlight with built in accelerometer (the XR5 lights up when you move it, avoiding the need to press a button to activate like many backlit remotes on the market). The XR5 also has an improved fit, finish and feel.

The XR5 and XR2 remotes currently share the same online user guide: »secure.xfinity.com/anon. ··· 2911.pdf

telcodad

telcodad

MVM

A post on the Comcast Support forum today by someone who received an XR5 remote:

quote:
Got my XR5 remote delivered yesterday. I went to the xfinity remote support page and didn't find any reference to an XR5. It only talked about XR2 R1 and R2. The remotes that came with my X1 STB's are all U2, not R1 or R2. I'm guessing the U2 version is the same as the XR5 version R1 I have. The programming instructions for the R2 says it supports an AVR, which my XR5 R1 seems to do.

So, the only difference I can see between my old XR2 version U2 and the XR5 version R1 is the backlighting and better fit and finish. Total cost with shipping was $24.94. I'm going to keep it so my wife and I can each have a remote.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I'd love to have it just to have it. I think it's worth it.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to telcodad

to telcodad
why should I have to pay $25 for a remote? I could go on ebay and get a learning remote for $40 probably.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q

said by mikedz4:

why should I have to pay $25 for a remote? I could go on ebay and get a learning remote for $40 probably.

You don't "have" to pay anything; sounds like this new Xr5 remote is an "optional" upgraded new remote with additional features. Use your money as you see fit for things that are important to you.