uniqs
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper to OwlSaver

to OwlSaver

Re: Fios Media Server

said by OwlSaver:

The current MR-DVR only allows 2 HD shows to be streamed across MOCA. I wonder how this new system will be able to stream six HD shows.

The link references "watching 6 shows" not streaming. I believe this is referencing the server's 6 QAM tuners. With my two DVR's and one HD box I can almost do this today (and I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there with enough hardware to do that and more), albeit with multiple boxes.

I wouldn't aniticipate this technology providing any change to the current VOD limitations.
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver

Premium Member

So, the server has six QAM tuners. Lets say I have one TV attached to teh Server and five other TVs with the remote boxes. Do the remote boxes have QAM tuners? My guess is no. If they did, I would not be able to pause live TV. This is based on a guess that the remote boxes do not have HDD or large memory - in order to keep the cost down. So, based on this, the remote boxes will only be able to watch live TV or view recorded TV by streaming it from the server.

Does MPEG4 let them go from 2 streams to 6? Will it require an ethernet connection for some boxes? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

IPTV between the VMS and IP clients...

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to OwlSaver

to OwlSaver
said by OwlSaver:

Does MPEG4 let them go from 2 streams to 6? Will it require an ethernet connection for some boxes? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

MOCA 1.0 can provide upto 90mb/s so the clients will not require ethernet. Typical mpeg4 streams on FIOS use less then 10mb/s.
HUBadubBUB
join:2009-11-19

HUBadubBUB to nycdave

to nycdave
Is this deployment dependent upon all the VHO's on an individual basis having the NE2K's up and running for 2nd CAS and also the migration to SPTS's? I realize the VMS servers in the VHO's will do the indiviual client authorization validation.