MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

New Set Top Box firmware rollout

I was told that a new firmware for the Uverse STBs is supposed to start rolling out any day. Over 150 fixes and enhancements are on the list. Does anyone know when this will hit the DFW market? Can you force the upgrade or do you have to wait for the box to prompt you or will it just happen silently overnight?

There are a couple fixes I'm anticipating, especially the fix to shut off the blue HD light when the box is off and fixing the menu aspect ratio in certain instances for 4:3 screens.
mibrnsurg
join:2003-07-28
Grosse Pointe, MI

mibrnsurg

If you haven't gotten the On Demand upgrade (?), that's what they're talking about.

Chris

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy to rolande

MVM

to rolande
I got the downgrade and I despise the new On Demand interface.
Yuck,
mibrnsurg
Grosse Pointe, MI

mibrnsurg

Go into it then push the right arrow 1 time, the icons will be in the left border, click the bottom one, it turns it back into a list version.

The list version will be a little different than the old one, but should be able to figure it out.

Chris

JimThePCGuy
MVM
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

Been there done that.
Still sux.
Mostly because compare to the old way it's SLOW.
Takes about 15 seconds just to load the "app" or so it feels.
mibrnsurg
Grosse Pointe, MI

mibrnsurg

It comes up in 5 or 6 seconds for me, not a long time.

Chris

JimThePCGuy
MVM
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

Still 4 or 5 seconds longer than before. Seems like an eternity compared to the old way.
Once you're in the app even in list mode it's way more sluggish than before.
At my age I don't need to waste time navigating a poorly designed app.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to mibrnsurg

MVM,

to mibrnsurg
Thankfully I don't really use the On Demand features because I always get pausing and buffering on the video. It is not worth the cost to me. It would be nice if it worked consistently. I think they have trouble managing the oversubscription from the content servers during the peak demand times like Friday and Saturday nights.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by rolande:

Thankfully I don't really use the On Demand features because I always get pausing and buffering on the video. It is not worth the cost to me. It would be nice if it worked consistently. I think they have trouble managing the oversubscription from the content servers during the peak demand times like Friday and Saturday nights.

We sometimes watch videos with On Demand on weekends and have never once saw pausing or buffering.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX

rolande

MVM,

It is likely a different content platform per region. I am in the DFW market and have experienced issues every time I have tried to use On Demand. You may be lucky and in a market that does not experience such a large peak surge, as we do here.

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan to mibrnsurg

Anon

to mibrnsurg
The firmware version (i.e. TV2 client version) did not change with the update to the On Demand menus.
tbk5451
join:2012-11-11
Greensboro, NC

tbk5451 to rolande

to rolande
My DVR apparently received the upgrade and the blue light turns off once you turn the set top box off. The guide is more fluid and responsive.

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007 to rolande

Premium Member

to rolande
I believe that by the end of next week the updates should be pushed out to all areas. I had have to go look at the communication again though to confirm

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan to tbk5451

Anon

to tbk5451
Which U-verse receiver model do you have, and what is your TV2 client version? (MENU > Options > System Options > System information > System info (TV2 client version)?
tbk5451
Greensboro, NC

tbk5451

I have the Cisco ISB7005 and the TV2 client is 2.2.28163.20 (Release)

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan

Anon

Thanks! That is definitely a new firmware release. I have the same Cisco receiver, and my firmware version is still 2.1.2512.52.

Do you notice any other changes are enhancements?

By the way, where are you located?
tbk5451
Greensboro, NC

tbk5451

I'm in North Carolina. The guide no longer stutters when you are scrolling through it. The options in the menu tend to stand out better than before and when you go to a channel that you are not subscribed to, the icon is a little different. I haven't had a chance to fully go through it yet...I just wish my wireless receiver would receive the same update

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan

Anon

The Cisco ISB7005, that you mentioned, is the wireless receiver.
tbk5451
Greensboro, NC

tbk5451

You're correct. I transposed a numbe. It was my dvr version isb7500

gerick
join:2001-01-17
San Antonio, TX
Google Wifi
Obihai OBi200

gerick to rolande

to rolande
said by rolande:

There are a couple fixes I'm anticipating, especially the fix to shut off the blue HD light when the box is off

I fixed the blue HD light a long time ago. Electrical tape.
TheFreeLance
join:2013-05-24

TheFreeLance to mibrnsurg

to mibrnsurg
Anyone have a before and after comparison of the the OnDemand offerings? A quick look suggested they deleted many, many options from the Free pulldown -- and hid many of the rest, like Turner Classic Movies.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX

rolande

MVM,

I got the update late last night on my main DVR box. I restarted another box and immediately after it came up it alerted there was an update. Good to go! Just need to restart my other 3 boxes.
ruskastud1
Lenexa, KS

ruskastud1

I can no longer get to favorites by hitting ENTER. I have to go through the MENU............

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

No new firmware here yet but, then again we don't even have the new RG firmware either .
ruskastud1
Lenexa, KS

1 edit

ruskastud1 to rolande

to rolande
sorry for the double post............................
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

Secyurityet to rolande

Premium Member

to rolande
6.9.1.42-enh.tm?

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX

rolande

MVM,

My RG is still running 6.3.7.50-enh.tm. That is quite a leap from 6.3 to 6.9.

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615 to JimThePCGuy

to JimThePCGuy
God I hate their new UI/UX

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan

Anon

said by odreian615:

God I hate their new UI/UX

If you are referring to the new On Demand UI, it has nothing to do with the new firmware update that is currently being rolled out to the receivers which is being discussed in this thread.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to rolande

Premium Member

to rolande
I haven't seen any threads specific to the On Demand UI. Though I rather like the change. Perhaps it's because I'm used to Apple TV. It's nowhere near as good as Apple TV but on a basic level the functionality is similar.

I like the ability to be able to queue videos and browse graphically. Speed doesn't seem any slower and could be faster given the queue and other new functionalities and categories.