how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Clowney

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Clowney

Re: New Set Top Box firmware rollout

OK...got this from another AT&T UVerse forum...may explain why I have the firmware update on my DVR but not my wireless STBs...also may explain things for others...

"I also got the DVR update on June 3, but still no STB updates. With the guidance of TS, I've tried reboots of the boxes, DVR and RG; TS tried pushing the update to my STBs with no success; and Customer Care suggested a disaster recovery of the STBs with negative results. So they recommended a tech visit, which was just completed. After the tech did some testing (no problems with signal, boxes, connections, splitters, etc), he spoke with his manager and discovered that the update is being rolled out to STBs sequentially by serial number, so this explains why some have it and others don't -- it apparently did not follow the DVR update directly as most other updates seem to have done. Hope this information helps some of you."

mibrnsurg

join:2003-07-28
Grosse Pointe, MI
The STB updates are going by the serial# of the unit in sequential order.

Chris

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
I just got the update today on my VIP1200.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to rolande
said by rolande:

According to the list of fixes I saw on a Tech's iPad for this code release, there are over 150 bug fixes and new features.

For which specific version? Can you share the link?

I flipped on the TV right before midnight last night, and within a few minutes it said it wanted to do an upgrade so I let it run. After this upgrade my details are:
Motorola VIP 1216 / 297
TV2 Client Version 2.2.28163.10

(I see other people talking about having 2.2.28163.20 so I'm confused.)

I do notice the blue light actually goes off when the TV goes off, so I seem to have gotten that fix.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by Wily_One:

said by rolande:

According to the list of fixes I saw on a Tech's iPad for this code release, there are over 150 bug fixes and new features.

For which specific version? Can you share the link?

I flipped on the TV right before midnight last night, and within a few minutes it said it wanted to do an upgrade so I let it run. After this upgrade my details are:
Motorola VIP 1216 / 297
TV2 Client Version 2.2.28163.10

(I see other people talking about having 2.2.28163.20 so I'm confused.)

I do notice the blue light actually goes off when the TV goes off, so I seem to have gotten that fix.

My VIP1200 that just got the update has 2.2.28163.10

Tel

join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Keoway
said by Keoway:

IPN4320 here too and no update.

Ahhh, it's your location, they'll get it in Columbia first.

I must be really behind, mine shows 2.1.2512.10

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to rolande
Someone said the new UI is separate from the update. I still think it sucks. It is EXTREMELY slow to get any info when trying to get to "Show more times".
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

For which specific version? Can you share the link?....

I don't have a link. The tech was reading an internal service bulletin on his iPad in front of me. I should have asked if he could email me the list. I do know there were quite a few fixes to the menu display and resolution formatting. There was at least one related to the media streaming client software and an upgrade to the WindowsCE OS.

If your blue light is off when you turn the STB off, then you got the most recent firmware update that includes the other ~149 fixes.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

JasonU

join:2006-01-06
Memphis, TN
reply to rolande
FINALLY got the 2.2 update on DVR and Set tops tonight. Figured it out when I turned on the bedroom TV and saw it blinking static. Pulled the plug on the box, restarted, and noticed the DVR icon looked a little different.

Like Wily_one and Darknessfall I have 2.2.28163.10

Sidebar, why can they not gracefully push out an update? My set top boxes are only on about an hour a day, and they received the update sometime in the other 23 hours. Can AT&T not force a reboot after the update?

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
I had to manually accept the upgrade on every box. None of them magically upgraded over night. Once the upgrade is accepted, everything is automatic after that and the box reboots to the new version. I never encountered the behavior you described. Maybe it is an issue with your particular STB?
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

shortyd999

join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL
reply to rolande
I got the update last night, I'm in Birmingham and have the Cisco IPN4320 DVR. Haven't had the change to check out the visible enhancements yet.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to rolande
Not here yet in South Florida.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to rolande
My DVR is running 2.2.28163.20.

I wonder why there are point version differences for some people, .10 vs. .20

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
said by Paralel:

My DVR is running 2.2.28163.20.

I wonder why there are point version differences for some people, .10 vs. .20

It has something to do with the hardware version.

Clowney

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Clowney
Finally got the update on my two wireless STBs...I'm a happy camper.

tbk5451

join:2012-11-11
Greensboro, NC
have you noticed any improvement with the overall function of the wireless STB since the update?

Clowney

@sbcglobal.net
Like what exactly?

I have noticed pretty much the same on the STBs as I noticed on the DVR after it got the update...everything seems speedier and more responsive overall...

- Channel changes are near instantaneous with little to no delay
- I can quickly click through channels without it randomly "hanging" on a channel "preview" and slowing me down
- You can now manually enter channel numbers in the Hide Channels setup instead of having to scroll down to where you want to go...this is nice when AT&T randomly adds those worthless sponsored channels or when a SD channel adds an HD feed and you want to remove the SD feed
- The blue HD light on the front of the STB turns off when the box is powered off
- There are slight modifications to some of the icons and the overall font for the GUI is slightly different...seems a bit sharper
- Now if you have multiple episodes of a program recorded and finish watching one it gives you the option to directly to the next recorded episode of that program
- You can also delete multiple recordings of a particular program all at once instead of being forced to do it one by one

I'm sure there are other improvements as well...but these are what I can remember off the top of my head.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
That's certainly a nice new set of features. As much as some people like to bash AT&T they at least have decent set-top boxes. I was on TWC and God, those boxes suck. The software is buggy as all hell and slow as well. What are they using? Decades old software and hacking stuff onto it? If they are, it really shows.

blockisle9

join:2004-03-18
Waterbury, CT
reply to rolande
Does anyone know what the green circle with a heart in it means next to the name of a recording?
Thanks

TestBoy
Premium
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC
reply to rolande
Is this update for specific receivers?
None of mine have gotten it yet.. so I am wondering if the ones I have are too old or something....

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Clowney
said by Clowney :

- You can also delete multiple recordings of a particular program all at once instead of being forced to do it one by one

This was actually the case PRIOR to the latest update, and this ability has existed for about 3 years.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to blockisle9
said by blockisle9:

Does anyone know what the green circle with a heart in it means next to the name of a recording?
Thanks

It means that the recordings is set to "KEEP UNTIL I ERASE".

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to TestBoy
said by TestBoy:

Is this update for specific receivers?
None of mine have gotten it yet.. so I am wondering if the ones I have are too old or something....

No, all receivers will receive the update. The rollout of the update is not complete.

Clowney

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Rangersfan
"This was actually the case PRIOR to the latest update, and this ability has existed for about 3 years."

Not in my house...I ALWAYS had to delete recordings one at a time...until this latest update.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
said by Clowney :

Not in my house...I ALWAYS had to delete recordings one at a time...until this latest update.

Yes, in your house too. It was part of the firmware update rolled out in 2010:

"Customize More U-verse Total Home DVR Settings. The U-verse DVR allows you to record up to four programs at once on a single DVR — a capability unmatched by cable providers. This feature prevents most recording conflicts, but with Series Priority, you can also prioritize all of your household’s scheduled recordings. The new Keep at Most feature lets you select how many episodes of a recorded series are stored on your DVR, and allows you to store a recording until the date you select. With Series Delete, you can delete all recordings of a series with one click of the remote control."

»www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1···mapcode=

tbk5451

Greensboro, NC
reply to Clowney
i still have the older software on my wireless settop box...sometimes, the guide is extremely slow on it and the STB at times can become very sluggish. Has that improved or maybe it's something wrong with mine?

FWIW, my DVR has already received the new firmware and it is running smoothly

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to rolande
My STB is still at 2.1.2512.10 (shrugs).

tbk5451

Greensboro, NC
Mine too...everything else I have is updated

Clowney

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Rangersfan
If "Series Delete" was there I never saw it.

Clowney

@sbcglobal.net
reply to tbk5451
Yes...slowness and sluggishness on the STBs...in the guide and everywhere else...is greatly improved with the new firmware update.