Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kmand

join:2002-05-06
Decatur, GA

1 edit

Gateway Battery

Has anyone found a third party source for the power outage battery in the new Xfinity modem/phone gateways?

Perhaps someone could pull their battery and look for identifying info.

My gateway is a Technicolor TC8305C, but I'll bet all the similar looking Xfinity "tower" style gateways use the same battery.

I believe Technicolor is actually a division of Arris.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Plug the modem into a UPS. It will probably last longer and might cost less too.

orlcdvrepair

@comcast.net
reply to kmand
The gateway battery is only intended to keep phone service up and running in the event of a power outage. If you want to keep your internet service running too, I would agree graysonf and say to plug it into a UPS.

kmand

Decatur, GA
reply to kmand
I do have it on a UPS that is shares with the computer and some peripherals, but that lasts less than half an hour. The phone battery is supposed to last 8, and it can actually take 2.

I guess I could get a separate UPS just for the gateway, but it means more boxes and I wonder if I could really get as many hours.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
If you know the specs of the batteries you would put in the gateway you could compare them to the specs of the batteries in a dimensionaly similar UPS. They are probably quite comparable, and so would be the backup times assuming comparable circuitry.

If you can buy the internal batteries for the gateway from a third party they would probably be a lot cheaper than what Comcast charges. If you can find them at the same, similar, or lower cost for what UPS batteries of the same capacity cost, then I think you have your answer - buy gateway batteries.

kmand

Decatur, GA
>If you can find them at the same, similar, or lower cost for what UPS batteries of the same capacity cost, then I think you have your answer - buy gateway batteries.

I just wish I could find anything that would identify the battery so I could search for one. My experience with other batteries (laptops, UPS, phones, etc) is they go for a fraction of the price from third parties.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by kmand:

I just wish I could find anything that would identify the battery so I could search for one. My experience with other batteries (laptops, UPS, phones, etc) is they go for a fraction of the price from third parties.

According to: »wikidevi.com/wiki/Technicolor_TC8305C

"The battery shown in the FCC external photos is a Getac BP-B210N-21/2600 S (Li-Ion, 7.4V 2600mAh, 19.24Wh)."

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sounds expensive compared to the sealed lead acid type found in the typical UPS.

kmand

Decatur, GA
reply to kmand
I'm not getting anything on a search for the Getac battery. I wrote to Getac and they don't have a clue, they only know how to check which Getac devices use what batteries. I also tried to look up the gateways fcc id, but even though wikidevi quotes from it, it doesn't show in the fcc.gov database.

One more point about battery vs external ups. The fact that the battery only powers the phone feature is presumably to limit power usage and extend hours. Using an external UPS would give more function but less hours. I'm mainly interested in 911 hours on the phone.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Buy the battery from Comcast and be done with it.

Or if all you need it for is 911, then get a hold of an old unused cell phone. Even if not currently activated, they are required to be able to call 911.

DavidEBSmith
Premium
join:2005-12-23
Chicago, IL
reply to kmand
There's a bunch of battery modules here that would meet the voltage/amp-hour spec, see if any of them look like the original:

»www.batteryspace.com/7.4V-1900mA···les.aspx

DavesCompute

join:2005-09-28
Lansing, IL
reply to kmand
I found the batteries on ebay $15.49 »www.ebay.com/itm/8-HOUR-ARRIS-TO···c5b26fa9

kmand

Decatur, GA
said by DavesCompute:

I found the batteries on ebay $15.49 »www.ebay.com/itm/8-HOUR-ARRIS-TO···c5b26fa9

These are for the Arris gateways. Apparently the Technicolor ones have different batteries. Comparing the picture on page 6 of

»apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationA···=1752437

the Techicolor battery looks quite a bit different.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by kmand:

These are for the Arris gateways. Apparently the Technicolor ones have different batteries. Comparing the picture on page 6 of

»apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationA···=1752437

the Techicolor battery looks quite a bit different.

Yes, Technicolor (f/k/a Thomson) is a totally different company.

That link does not work outside of the FCC website.

You have to go to the Exhibits List at: »apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/V···KE1331BP and then click on the link for "External Photos."

wa2ibm
Premium
join:2000-10-10
San Jose, CA
reply to kmand
said by kmand:

I do have it on a UPS that is shared with the computer and some peripherals, but that lasts less than half an hour.

You need a UPS with longer run time (bigger battery).

The typical UPS only has internal batteries. They're sized such that the UPS itself doesn't overheat during the battery discharge time. If you were to attach larger batteries to these styles of UPS's, they would overheat due to running too long.

Any UPS that has the capability to attach external batteries is designed to run continuously without overheating. Now you're getting into industrial strength equipment like my APC Matrix 5000 with extended range batteries that will last me quite a while, depending on what I keep turned on.
--
- Bill

lancguy

join:2012-03-25
Lancaster, PA
reply to kmand
I just want to point out that #1- if you emta has a battery, it will function for about 8 hours. #2 - if you have a commercial power outage, your multi-station cordless phones will not have power or dial tone. #3 - in the event of a commercial power failure, if your node goes down your service will go down also unless your provider hooks up a generator (which will only last for as long as your provider fuels it). Just saying.