IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Rant] Escalators @ Holyoke Mall are always broken

I was at the Holyoke Mall today and over the past year or so, their escalators have been constantly broken. They have three sets of escalators in the mall (in the mall by Best Buy, AT&T, and Macy's) and today the only ones working were the ones by Macy's. There are also escalators inside of JC Penney, Sears, and Macy's. There is also a set that goes into the food court.

This mall is a vibrant first class mall with good stores like the Apple Store, Best Buy, Old Navy, Hobby Lobby, Abercrombie & Fitch, Target, and others; not a dead mall that is 50 percent vacant and the other half with Mom & Pop shops like Westdale Mall in my hometown of Cedar Rapids, IA.

The management at this mall is cutting corners with maintenance. They have put in so many band-aid type repairs to their escalators and elevators that by now it would have been cheaper just to rip them out and replace them with brand new equipment like an Otis Gen II Machine Roomless elevators and brand new escalators that are probably more energy efficient to operate and lower maintenance than the equipment installed in 1979 when the mall opened.

And keep in mind when the elevator in center court goes out, it becomes an ADA violation as there is no elevator access to the food court (other than a freight elevator).

I just wish they would put a Chick-Fil-A or Hardee's in the spot where Wendy's vacated. There was better food in the Midwest.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

The third paragraph sounds pretty theoretical to me.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
The fifth paragraph's last sentence sounds pretty opinionated to me. Philadelphia is an up and coming foodie paradise and better than most.

However, contact the parent corporation at:

The Pyramid Companies
The Clinton Exchange
4 Clinton Square
Syracuse, NY 13202
Phone: 315.422.7000
Fax: 315.422.2717
E-mail: info@pyramidmg.com

fruhead
join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ

fruhead to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I just wish they would put a Chick-Fil-A or Hardee's in the spot where Wendy's vacated. There was better food in the Midwest.

Totally off-topic, but does Hardees still make the Sourdough Bacon Cheeseburger? Om nom nom...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

This mall is a vibrant first class mall

I've been there its a 3rd class mall, if that.

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

3 recommendations

Weirdal to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Everyone knows that escalators never break, they just become stairs.

ttiiggy
Premium Member
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
You could probably use the exercise...
Expand your moderator at work

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon

Re: [Rant] Escalators @ Holyoke Mall are always broken

And people take the shopping carts out of the stores and they're not allowed in the mall. Target even has the locking wheels on theirs.

What's even worse is parents who take their baby strollers on an escalator. That is very dangerous.

The elevator in center court has long waits and its always full.

There is also the Eastfield Mall and I wish they would open a Best Buy where JC Penney's vacated. That would cause the Eastfield Mall to make a comeback. The only good stores at Eastfield are Sears, Macy's, and Radio Shack.

I also like shopping at Enfield Square south of the state line in Connecticut.
Expand your moderator at work

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: [Rant] Escalators @ Holyoke Mall are always broken

never mind.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

There was better food in the Midwest.

Springfield, MA, is in the Midwest!

(The west starts just past Worcester).

RonS
Madm0nke
Premium Member
join:2000-06-19
Dayton, OH

RonS to Weirdal

Premium Member

to Weirdal
said by Weirdal:

Everyone knows that escalators never break, they just become stairs.

^^This...

I had to work on a copier in the Mall Management Office. I went and the Escalators in the main lobby were all taped off. They lost power to the Escalators and the elevator. I had to walk into Sears and take their escalator up to the second floor to get to the office. When I got in there I asked what had happened and that's when I learned they had lost power. I then asked why did you tape them off. They become stairs when they don't move and can still be used. I got blank stares and silence as a reply....
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by RonS:

When I got in there I asked what had happened and that's when I learned they had lost power. I then asked why did you tape them off. They become stairs when they don't move and can still be used. I got blank stares and silence as a reply....

ROFLMAO!!!

Seriously, wtf, how can someone be that stupid?

Eyeballs
Premium Member
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by IowaCowboy:

This mall is a vibrant first class mall

I've been there its a 3rd class mall, if that.

I Concur!

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
What is it with all you guys and the mall? Haven't you heard of Amazon.com?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by removed:

What is it with all you guys and the mall? Haven't you heard of Amazon.com?

You can't meet girls at amazon.com

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound to RonS

Premium Member

to RonS
said by RonS:

I then asked why did you tape them off. They become stairs when they don't move and can still be used.

In today's litigious society, the first klutz to fall down will sue the living shit out of them.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by Asiabound:

said by RonS:

I then asked why did you tape them off. They become stairs when they don't move and can still be used.

In today's litigious society, the first klutz to fall down will sue the living shit out of them.

almost an understatement. That infamous video of a lady walking into a fountain at a mall while texting. sued the mall because security did not rush to her aid. claims they were too busy laughing at the video.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

said by Asiabound:

said by RonS:

almost an understatement. That infamous video of a lady walking into a fountain at a mall while texting. sued the mall because security did not rush to her aid. claims they were too busy laughing at the video.

That is a reason we need tort reform. They need to recognize contributory negligence such as a driver getting rear-ended but the reason was the vehicle that was rear-ended had a faulty suspension and one of the ball joints or tie-rod ends let go and the vehicle came to a screeching halt without warning. Or the lawsuits over people burned because they were using a gas can against its intended use (that sent Blitz USA into liquidation).