Click for full size
my own internet's speed test
Click for full size
streaming with my own internet (22kbps)
Click for full size
speed test when connected to neighbor's internet
Click for full size
streaming with neighbor's internet
I am currently using the 25M plan from Telus and my neighbor is on 6M Telus plan, both non-optik.

So my problem is when I am using my 25M internet (wifi) to stream video from Youku (China version of Youtube), I get around 20kbps as shown in the screenshot.

The weird thing is that, when I connect to my neighbor's 6M Telus through wifi (his router is farther away from my PC, with more walls in between, thus higher ping and weaker signal strength), I can load the same video at 112kbps.

We are both using the same gateway Actiontec V1000H. The only differences I can think of is my computer being closer to my own gateway and having an higher speed of 25M. But strangely my neighbor 6M internet with weaker signal yields a higher speed.

Does anyone know why I get this lower speed even though I am on a higher speed profile and both are from the same ISP Telus?

Would appreciate if someone from Telus or someone who knows about this sort of stuff can help me.

Thanks in advance.

parrelium

join:2005-07-31
Abbotsford, BC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS

Just went there to give it a shot...

Yeah i have 50 and it doesn's get over 75kbps.

Its not you it's them. Maybe there's a mirror or something you can use in another asian country. If I stream from servers in Hong Kong or Seoul I can get into the Mbps.

haskida

join:2013-05-24
Vancouver, BC

said by parrelium:

Just went there to give it a shot...

Yeah i have 50 and it doesn's get over 75kbps.

Its not you it's them. Maybe there's a mirror or something you can use in another asian country. If I stream from servers in Hong Kong or Seoul I can get into the Mbps.

ya I understand it's the country that is limiting the speed but I don't get why my neighbor gets much higher speed when he's using Telus as well and he lives right next door.

willzzz

join:2007-05-23
SE MI
reply to haskida

I would guess it has to do with rate limiting of the connection over HTTP/RTMP or whatever the protocol is.

China being that its a huge country and congested international bandwidth and that bandwidth has to go through DPI for international peering/IP transit I'm not surprised. This is more political policy related than anything that is technical/business. I have family that watches Asian content streamed as well. Usually they try to find the content on YouTube if its popular enough. Korea/Japan/HK/Taiwan don't have those limitations and can stream much faster.

This is totally un-scientific but you can try to ping the server and do a tracert to see if there's congestion and most routes into Mainland China do experience congestion.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to haskida

said by haskida:

ya I understand it's the country that is limiting the speed but I don't get why my neighbor gets much higher speed when he's using Telus as well and he lives right next door.

Different routes. TELUS is a big enough ISP that if you're on a different netblock you'll end up getting a more or less congested link to your destination.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

Mike_C

join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

said by pfak:

Different routes. TELUS is a big enough ISP that if you're on a different netblock you'll end up getting a more or less congested link to your destination.

Considering the very small number of pipes between north america and Asia? Not likely.

anno189

@telus.net

Really?
Small pipes between North America and Asia?

Please take a look:
»fedeguede.files.wordpress.com/20···arge.png

Mike_C

join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

Read closer. Small >> NUMBER of pipes. Plus on top of that the Chinese government loves censoring all the data going through the country so that can add further delays.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

We were speculating why one person on TELUS was able to watch video on the site (or got twice the bitrate) and why the other wasn't able to. Not anything to do with capacity to China.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

haskida

join:2013-05-24
Vancouver, BC

Yeah I agree with pfak that this shouldn't be affected by the capacity to China since some of the telus users can get good bit rate.

How is netblock chosen? If its area based I can't imagine me being on a different one from my neighbor since he lives right next door.
Is there a way to manually switch the netblock I am on?

osk666

join:2013-05-28
Richmond, BC
reply to haskida

just something to remind.
I am using 25m plan from telus in richmond.
When I watch anime shows on bilibili whose video source is from sina, I can get around 500kB/s to 1.4mB/s.
but still, I can not get this speed if it is youku.
I just got two android tv box from china,
but it can not get a good connection to all of the video sites.
I have tried some vpns,
but none of them can get a good result.
Who can advise a better vpn to connect china?