All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wh7qq
join:2012-06-12

wh7qq

[Exede] Dish/Exede dumping Gmail/web portal

Email from Dish today: "Effective June 25th, 2013, DISH will permanently discontinue offering email services and the web portal, as those platforms no longer offer you the best email experience possible. "

No great loss to me except for a need to check my usage on a regular basis. They provided a link to that, where my trouble started. I was unable to log in to the web page with my username and password and was directed to "Create a New Online ID", but, as a non-TV customer, I never received a "16 digit account number".

So I called Tech Support and I was finally given a 16 digit account # (been a customer 10 months and never had this) which worked to get me into the page for creating a new ID but I still could not log in: "The password you used is invalid." No other useful information was provided such as why it was invalid or what I should do next.

Another call to Tech Support got me the suggestion to try a simple series of letters or numbers with no characters. That worked and I was able to access my account settings including my profile where I could create a new (secure) password. There, finally, was information hiding behind a "?" that told me that I could only use letters and numbers, case sensitive, minimum 8 and maximum 12 long. So I came up with a password, much less secure than my original and that now works to get me into their b/w usage page...brand new with separate readouts for "off-peak" and "anytime" usage and an offer of more b/w for the paltry sum of $10/G!

The tech, by way of apology for the inconvenience and frustration, said that they had only learned of the changes this morning...nice internal communications by the Dish geniuses. Nice also to dump this on their unsuspecting users still not ready for prime time!