spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

taytong888

join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

WNDR-3400V2: Correct Amperage in 12-volt AC adapter?

Hi,

We upgraded to WNDR-3400V2 router not too long ago, with the latest firmware. The product manual says the current output for 12-volt AC adapter is 2.5 Amperes (A) or 2500 mA.

However, the Netgear adapter that comes in the box is listed as 12 volts DC and 1.5 A.

Is 1.5 A adequate? Could this be the cause of mysterious and unexpected disconnection? I know in the past a number of Netgear router models such as WNR-834B V2 and DGNxxx(?) have faulty power supply (adapter).

I look forward to hearing from you experts. Thanks in advance for your help.

KUppiano
Karl Uppiano

join:2003-02-02
Ferndale, WA

With the specifications you provided, the adapter shouldn't work at all. If the router is expecting a power adapter providing 12VAC@2.5A, and the adapter provided supplies 12VDC@1.5A, then I would say it is incompatible.

Assuming the router expects 12VDC@2.5A and the adapter is rated for 12VDC@1.5A, I would expect the adapter to get quite hot, have a short life, and poor voltage regulation. Poor voltage regulation could cause the router to reboot or lock up randomly.

taytong888

join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. The adapter is actually AC->DC adapter, ie. input 110 v AC, output 12 v DC@2.5 A. I initially used the term "AC adapter" because this is what I found using Google. Anyway, even Netgear WNDR-3700 router uses 12 vdc, 2.5 A adapter.

I found it's amazing that although one of Netgear knowledge-based articles talk about the risk of using inappropriate power adapter i.e., router lockup or reboot randomly like you said, Netgear still includes the wrong adapter in the box. I notice that Netgear supplied 12 vdc, 1.5 A adapter for the Netgear routers I have owned, e. WNR-834B v2 and WNDR-3400 V2. No wonder there have been lots of complaints about random lockup or reboot if you read users feedback on amazon.com, newegg.com or even Netgear forums.

Netgear may have a class-action suit on its hands.

KUppiano
Karl Uppiano

join:2003-02-02
Ferndale, WA

Ok, it sounds like the adapter is at least the right "kind". The rating, 1.5A seems low for a router that demands 2.5A.

However, sometimes these current ratings are nominal. If the adapter doesn't get too warm, it may be fine. Someone who has a volt-ammeter might be able to measure the actual voltage supplied and current consumed. ~ Karl