spc
Search similar:

uniqs
snedo
join:2008-07-20
Hilliard, OH

snedo

Coolant sensor replacement

Awhile back my 2000 ford Taurus had a coolant line break (must have deteriorated over time). Got it replaced, no leaks, runs fine. However, the sensor on the dash still says low coolant and won't turn off.

Anyone know how much it would cost to fix this? Mechanic said to ignore it, unless the light really bothers you. I'd rather have peace of mind just in case the car does leak coolant in the future, so the light will actually work as intended before any serious engine damage occurs.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux

Premium Member

said by snedo:

Anyone know how much it would cost to fix this? Mechanic said to ignore it, unless the light really bothers you.

Find a new mechanic.
In my opinion of course.
snedo
Hilliard, OH

snedo

Thanks for your opinion on the mechanic, it happened on a Saturday so the independent shop I usually go to and trust were closed, so I had to settle with a Mr. Tire down the road.

I just want to know if this is a cheap fix.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

It should be located in the coolant tank. Part should be around $30 to $60 US.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to psafux

MVM

to psafux
None of my vehicles have such a light, and the vehicle is a 13 year old Taurus.

Ignoring the light seems like a reasonable suggestion to me.
Master5c8
join:2002-09-15
Mansfield, IL

Master5c8 to snedo

to snedo
Possibly a do-it-youself fix if you're so inclined.

Assuming this is the right vehicle:

»www.rockauto.com/catalog ··· pe,10457

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to snedo

to snedo

Was the light on all the time prior to the coolant line replacement? If not, it could be trying to tell you that there is still air in the cooling system.

If you are positive the system is free of air and not low, then you should be able to test the sensor or just replace it if you aren't inclined to perform tests.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to snedo

Premium Member

to snedo
said by snedo:

Awhile back my 2000 ford Taurus had a coolant line break (must have deteriorated over time). Got it replaced, no leaks, runs fine. However, the sensor on the dash still says low coolant and won't turn off.

»www.taurusclub.com/forum ··· why.html
said by snedo:

Anyone know how much it would cost to fix this?

Roughly $40 USD.
snedo
Hilliard, OH

1 edit

snedo to mattmag

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

Was the light on all the time prior to the coolant line replacement? If not, it could be trying to tell you that there is still air in the cooling system.

No it was not. I was driving on the highway when I noticed the coolant line suddenly came on. I immediately got off the highway, stopped at a gas station and then popped the hood. The line was busted and coolant sprayed all over the top of my hood/the left side of the engine bay.
said by mattmag:

If you are positive the system is free of air and not low, then you should be able to test the sensor or just replace it if you aren't inclined to perform tests.

The mechanic at Mr. Tire said there was no air in the system and no leaks, just that the sensor was bad and he gave me the option to replace it. He said it wasn't a big deal if I decided not to (which I didn't, obviously). I have checked it multiple times since and the coolant stays right at the line.

And thank you everyone. I just ordered a new coolant tank.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

You should of just been able to get the sensor only.