spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bastage

join:2011-02-14
Kuna, ID

My Bandwidth stopped tracking? Anyone else the same?

So Im still on the 10/1 plan so it doesn't effect me much, but with rumors of faster un-metered plans coming out I checked my usage & noticed that on May7th/8th my bandwidth stopped tracking all together.

Im wondering if this is a pre-cursor to unlimited plans coming back, or if this is just a fluke in there system.

Also I am on West Valley cable one in Kuna ID.

jasonkradiog

@cableone.net
Hi,

This is the first time in my life I've ever checked their bandwidth graph tool as I'm on the 10/1 plan and choose not to worry about bandwidth. I'm in northern Mississippi and I am showing totals as current as today. So it might just be you.

Not to hijack your thread but a couple things...

1) I thought this was supposed to break down peak times and off peak times somehow. I am using about 800GB download and 200GB upload in a month apparently these days on average. But it doesn't say how much of that wouldn't be counted at all.

2) This is the first time I've ever noticed or heard any mention of this:

»support.cableone.net/app/answers ··· Vhcmw%3D

"Cable ONE will charge you $0.50 for each additional 1 Gigabyte (1,024 Megabytes) of usage past your bandwidth allocation for that billing period. The additional usage for the current billing cycle cannot be carried forward. The maximum additional bandwidth charge is $50.00 per billing period."

The maximum additional bandwidth charge is $50 per period? Is that new? Times are a little tough right now so I don't think I would want to raise my bill from $50ish per month to $100ish per month... but thats closer to speaking my language.

I am hoping for awesome new plans to be announced very soon. I really want to upgrade from 10/1. I'm not planning to download/upload any more. Hopefully just get things done faster.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
reply to bastage
I'm also on the same plan but mine is still tracking like normal.

Jason makes an interesting point though. That $50 max additional charge is more in line with what I want but still a tad too expensive. A flat rate plan around $50 would still be much better; I don't like the thought of coughing up $100 or so every month just for internet access.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
reply to bastage
I'm on the 50/2 plan with 100GB. It looks like mine stopped tracking also.

bastage

Kuna, ID
reply to jasonkradiog
Really.. a 50 dollar a month max overage would bring the 50 down plan to about 100 a month.. I am just about willing to pay that..

slimmy

@cableone.net
reply to bastage
Looks like it stopped tracking for me about a month ago here in idaho. Still have the 10mb plan.

liviorn

join:2009-06-21
Rio Rancho, NM
Mine stopped tracking sometime in February. When I called their technical support back in the beginning of March, they told me they are "working on it" and know about the "issue". So who knows why it stopped tracking.

Le Roy
Skillz
Premium
join:2002-05-03
Ocean Springs, MS
reply to bastage
Just like we talked about on [H], my usage is still being tracked and I'm on the Coast in Mississippi.
--
www.tdnclan.com

bastage

Kuna, ID
reply to bastage
So far there are 2 from idaho & 2 from new Mexico not tracking & 2 from Mississippi that are..

Still hopeful that these archaic plans are on the way out & this is just a precursor to no more tracking.

Le Roy
Skillz
Premium
Ocean Springs, MS
Given CableOnes shitty past, I highly doubt they'll do away with tracking all together. If anything, they'll go back to throttling connection speed with daily caps.
--
www.tdnclan.com

jazzy01

join:2004-11-05
Prescott Valley, AZ
reply to bastage
I am on the 50/2 plan also and my b/w tracking has not worked in months...... (in AZ)....I have not complained about it

giannim

join:2003-08-12
Hesperia, CA
reply to bastage
I'm in Boise, ID and it looks like mine may have stopped as well.. I check it one day and it was at like 38GB and then it dropped down to 27GB and has stayed there since then. Kinda odd but it would be awesome if they were doing away with the caps...

Okman

@cableone.net
Here in southern Ok they have stopped tracking, but I am on a business plan, so I dont know if that makes a difference. But I have also not been charged yet for going over my cap either....

jazzy01

join:2004-11-05
Prescott Valley, AZ

1 edit
reply to bastage

jasonkradiog

@cableone.net
Ah, maybe I will just never find the perfect Internet plan. This does seem like a step in the right direction.

But lets take new vs. old. As I recently discussed, I download/upload about 1TB/month.

Old. I would have paid $53ish + $50 capped monthly usage charges: $103ish.

New. I would pay $100 with a 500GB "guideline" for the amount I use. Supposedly they send you letters, helpful advice to keep it down, suggestions to upgrade, etc. at the guideline haha... which sounds like they might get slightly annoying.

Maybe I would have been better off under the old 50mbps plan. I'm not sure if I should mess with my 10 now. And just like days ago, I'm not really sure I love that jump from $50ish to $100ish

drgensel

join:2000-09-20
Rio Rancho, NM
reply to bastage
My usage is still being tracked. I am on the 50mb plan w/50gb cap.

rekd0514

join:2009-03-24
North Sioux City, SD
reply to jasonkradiog
If you are using that much bandwidth just go to the $70 business plan and use all you want. It is even cheaper if you sign up for a contract.

dr3yec

join:2002-12-19

1 edit
reply to bastage
Just switched to the 50/2 plan this mourning and now the meter shows 100gb cap and not the 300gb they said. On the 10/1 plan that I was on yesterday had a meter but didnt have any caps, just totals. This meter on the 50/2 plan is different and has a 100gb cap. Hoping they just havnt upgraded the meter yet. Anybody else?

rruser1

@cableone.net
They have not fully inplenmented the new data guidelines vs the old/current caps, I'd give it another week ish, I've been keeping an eye on my account every few days to see when it flips over. I'm also curious to when the new AUP will actually go into place and be linked from the my account/bandwidth chart page.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
reply to bastage
I wonder if it'd be possible for me to switch over early despite still being on a D2 modem; I wouldn't see the full speeds but I could use the extra upload.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

titanmiller

join:2002-03-17
Altus, OK
I tested the bandwidth of my D2 modem before plugging in my new D3 modem and got about 35/2. It would be worth the upgrade especially considering the 50/2 is $3/month cheaper than the old 10/1 plan.

titanmiller

join:2002-03-17
Altus, OK
reply to Pashune
I got 35/2 with my old D2 modem before I plugged in my new D3 modem.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
reply to titanmiller
Good deal. I'll call them tomorrow for the upgrade; my bill is $53 (no other fees) for 10/1 so I'd get a $3 discount on top of that

My understanding is that my speeds will vary a bit more since I'm on D2 modem but I'll be upgrading to a D3 modem either way soon.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Le Roy
Skillz
Premium
Ocean Springs, MS
reply to bastage
Well I upgraded to the 50Mbps connection. So far I have not hit any throttling limits that I am aware of.
--
www.tdnclan.com

bastage

Kuna, ID
reply to bastage
So I am now on the new 50mb plan... I jsut checked my bandwidth & they have my highest day since the 10th as using 48mb.. If it tracks like this all the way through then it might as well be unlimited since I know I have downloaded several GB a day..

jasonkradiog

@cableone.net
Well I finally called to upgrade today :/

I have to bite my tongue when I talk to the employees there with all of the misinformation there is.

She told me I wouldn't see any speed increase at all until I bought a new modem or leased one from them. I told her I had one ordered but I'd like to upgrade the plan now anyway and then said that I thought I would get at least some increase now but she said there would be no increase at all until I got the new modem.

Then she went into a unsolicited data guideline comment that was no longer than a sentence but tried to downplay the comment adding that it was "impossible" to get to 300GB/month anyway. While I rarely max out the connection, it's kinda funny to me that they consider something that could be done in less than 1 day of full usage "impossible".

So far three hours later I'm still at 10/1. I am probably going to get a new cable modem, but considering the data guideline stuff I might just leave the speed at 30ish/2 and stick with the old for a while. I just wanted the upgrade mostly so that I wouldn't have to worry so much if two of us in the house want to stream IPTV at the same time. Sometimes that chokes/buffers us. Hopefully now it wont.

jasonkradiog

@cableone.net
Well after a cable modem reboot, I'm now testing at 13/2 today up from my usual 10/1. Hmpt. Don't know how you all did 25-30 with an old modem but figures lol

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
said by jasonkradiog :

Well after a cable modem reboot, I'm now testing at 13/2 today up from my usual 10/1. Hmpt. Don't know how you all did 25-30 with an old modem but figures lol

If you're running speakeasy you'll get lower results, that's what I've noticed today. Go to speedtest.net and you'll probably get figures between 20-27 mbps.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

jasonkradiog

@cableone.net
Thanks for the suggestion. Oddly enough, still no go. I was going to Speedtest originally but decided to try that and Speakeasy.

Speakeasy
11.8 / 2.2

Speedtest
12.77 / 2.34

I'll probably wait to further troubleshoot anything until I do get another modem but kind of odd. My tests were previously almost always 10.x/1.x so theres definitely improvement but not as drastic as you all are noting. Maybe I'm even pre-throttled because they know about me? lol

bastage

Kuna, ID
reply to bastage
so I just checked again... Since the 10th when I upgraded its still not tracking right.. The highest day is still the 50mb day I posted about above. Even one day where I downloaded 100gb just to see if I could & that day shows 0.0 for the download..