Why bother?
Premium Member
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

Locutus65

Premium Member

[Tutorial] Best Digital SLR camera settings for beginners

I don't own a DSLR yet but just from reading the first page I realized I'm using the wrong autofocus mode on my Kodak PS.

"Now you've bought a great new digital SLR camera, what are the best settings? Surely it will work straight out of the box? Sorry, most will give you unsharp slightly overexposed pictures if you just turn them on and shoot. Welcome to the one page they all missed from the manual. Use these settings and you'll be OK until you really get the hang of it."

»www.phototestcenter.com/ ··· ngs.html

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

I bought the ebook version of From Snapshots to Great Shots book (that's specific to my Canon modell).

»www.peachpit.com/imprint ··· rttype=0 has a list but you can them from Amazon.

Best book for beginners ever.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

1 recommendation

mromero to Locutus65

Premium Member

to Locutus65
its been said time and time again in this forum over the years that the best book for beginners is

»www.amazon.com/Understan ··· exposure

they have an older version if you want to save 3-4 bucks.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

And don't hesitate to buy a used book from Amazon. They have some very good sellers that will save you a ton.
jaykaykay

jaykaykay to Locutus65

MVM

to Locutus65
LOL! "Set the ISO or sensitivity to 400 in average light, 200 if it's midday in a dessert" I wasn't aware that a dessert had anything to do with what time it is.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96 to Locutus65

Premium Member

to Locutus65
As mromero See Profile noted, an excellent book. Read that, and you will understand why a lot would disagree with some of what was in the link you posted to. Not that any of it's necessarily wrong, but it really won't take you all that far nor make you a better photographer at the end of the day. But your snapshots won't be blurry.

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

SueS to Locutus65

Premium Member

to Locutus65
It’s probably just me but, I say don’t even think about getting a DSLR unless you plan to learn how the shutter, aperture and ISO work to make your photos. Doesn’t matter how you learn as long as you learn. If one is going to use auto settings or settings that someone suggests you might as well use a point and shoot unless you understand the reasons for those settings.
Expand your moderator at work

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium Member
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX

Locutus65 to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero

Re: [Tutorial] Best Digital SLR camera settings for beginners

said by mromero:

its been said time and time again in this forum over the years that the best book for beginners is

»www.amazon.com/Understan ··· exposure

they have an older version if you want to save 3-4 bucks.

Just bought the ebook version. Lot of stuff to learn. No idea when/if I'll be getting a DSLR as they are still pretty pricey for me but my Kodak PS lets me set everything except focus manually.
Normally I shoot in auto mode then tweak the pics with one of the several photo/graphic apps I have.
Would be nice to have them come right out of the camera looking good.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

bryan peterson also has a youtube channel with how tos