art22gg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC

1 recommendation

art22gg

Premium Member

USA to legalize root-kits,spyware???

From a blog article by Emsisoft...now this should prove to be very interesting if it ever comes to pass...

Link...»blog.emsisoft.com/2013/0 ··· -piracy/

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

1 recommendation

beck

MVM

"USA to legalize root-kits,spyware???"

sigh. "they" probably will think this is great. You can't fix stupid.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by beck:

You can't fix stupid.

You can. It's just not legal to do so

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

said by beck:

You can't fix stupid.

That's still not fixing it, that's just stopping it. :-D

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to attack pirates!
»boingboing.net/2013/05/2 ··· o-c.html
»twitter.com/e_kaspersky/ ··· 04547584

»twitter.com/justinvincen ··· 89636099
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

said by siljaline:

US entertainment industry to Congress: make it legal for us to deploy rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to attack pirates!
»boingboing.net/2013/05/2 ··· o-c.html
»twitter.com/e_kaspersky/ ··· 04547584

»twitter.com/justinvincen ··· 89636099

SONY never gives up.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

That would be a fair statement.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg

“Commission on the Theft of American Intellectual Property” released their 84-page report...

The report proposes to use malware to figure out whether or not you are pirating intellectual property and in case you do, lock your computer and take all your files hostage...

What else could come to a criminal mind other than act like a criminal...
Those people are sick

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by OZO:

“Commission on the Theft of American Intellectual Property” released their 84-page report...

The report proposes to use malware to figure out whether or not you are pirating intellectual property and in case you do, lock your computer and take all your files hostage...

What else could come to a criminal mind other than act like a criminal...
Those people are sick

Sick? Perhaps... but IMO they're just exercising the all-too-common human trait of using power of whatever kind to force an outcome favorable to themselves - and governmental power is ultimate power. Which is why our government was put in strong chains at its founding. Unfortunately, the chains are beginning to snap... and if this outrage ever sees the light of law, one more very big link will have been broken.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to art22gg

MVM

to art22gg
As I noted in an email to a friend:

Absolutely crazy! It's truly hard to believe that anyone could logically find this to be logical! Unfortunately, once computers became a public tool for anyone and everyone, stealing copyrighted material, songs and everything else, was open for those who would take. Technology...don't you just love it. It opened an entire new industry, a need for technology to stop the technology. Those that would steal will steal any way they are able and putting something on all computers to catch those that will steal would merely open just another Pandora's box and allow a new problem to become the norm. The US entertainment industry ought to understand that by now, although I don't blame them for trying to think of something so that they could maintain their copyrighted material. They all lost their privacy and security when we did.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 edit

dave to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
I guess no-one else glanced at the report yet, since the report is mostly about theft of corporate IP sponsored by foreign corporations of foreign governments.

It's also (apparently: I just skimmed) pretty cautious about proposing legal changes permitting cyberattacks, since it recognizes the risks, though it doesn't rule them out of bounds for consideration.

The paragraph quoted by Emsisoft says what can be done legally today, but I think they misunderstand it. What I take it to mean is, if you steal file X and open file X, then file X can legally fuck you over. This is not the "Sony rootkit" scenario.

More when I've read the damn thing; 100 pages online is more than I care to do. I need paper.

ashrcr
@dodo.com.au

ashrcr

Anon

Daves on the money .....try viewing yesterdays 4 corners report on our govs reasoning on this new statergy.
Ash
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

What's a "4 corners report"? Link, please? (googling is giving me nothing plausible-looking)

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

I guess no-one else glanced at the report yet, since the report is mostly about theft of corporate IP sponsored by foreign corporations of foreign governments.

It's also (apparently: I just skimmed) pretty cautious about proposing legal changes permitting cyberattacks, since it recognizes the risks, though it doesn't rule them out of bounds for consideration.

The paragraph quoted by Emsisoft says what can be done legally today, but I think they misunderstand it. What I take it to mean is, if you steal file X and open file X, then file X can legally fuck you over. This is not the "Sony rootkit" scenario.

More when I've read the damn thing; 100 pages online is more than I care to do. I need paper.

The pdf document is originally 84 pages long ( Report of the Commission on the Theft of American Intellectual Property ), and the relevant paragraphs to this thread are contained within pages 81 and 82.

The document focuses mainly on penetrations of US networks and digital theft of "intellectual property".

The problem with some of these recommendations is that such things often take on a life of their own, ending up being morphed, expanded, and then embodied in legislation justified by the crisis-nature of the described problem and passed by a Congress that all-too-often tends to "pass a bill before they read it".

While the described crisis may be very real, the civil-liberty and due-process ramifications of some of the suggestions may be truly dangerous as well, particularly if they get targeted by overly broad implementations and justifications of suggested countermeasures. A lot of freedom can be obliterated by the argument that one has to act immediately without waiting for the likes of legal procedures (eg: acting proactively at "network speed").

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by beck:

You can't fix stupid.

It's because there is no money in for them that way.

Sheesh, no one has figured this out yet?
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
It's 100 pages according to Adobe Reader

(There's covers, front matter, back matter, etc.)

The rest of your comments, I don't disagree with, but nevertheless, I think we should discuss it from an informed viewpoint, and not sensational headlines.

ashrcr
@dodo.com.au

ashrcr to dave

Anon

to dave
said by dave:

What's a "4 corners report"? Link, please? (googling is giving me nothing plausible-looking)

»www.abc.net.au/4corners/ ··· 6576.htm
Transcript of article link can be found on this page.
Starts to outline problems faced then moves to solutions.
The link to video is region based...sorry.
Limited by what I can do on my phone at present.
TechnoGeek
join:2013-01-07

TechnoGeek to art22gg

to art22gg
Um, so what if I use Linux and the root kit can't be installed on it?

Or it can be installed, but it will show me an elevated prompt, raising red flags?

So this is only to catch the dumb "crooks" then? Wow, so much effort and so much freedom lost for so little gain.

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4 to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
The option to weaponizing software to view trojanized data on private material housed either in business networks or government data banks is the desired goal from what i've read. DRM type spins offs for freely available (not private but shared) files is the tangent Emisoft seems to have taken from this.
Have i got this right?
ashrc4

ashrc4 to TechnoGeek

Premium Member

to TechnoGeek
said by TechnoGeek:

Um, so what if I use Linux and the root kit can't be installed on it?
So this is only to catch the dumb "crooks" then? Wow, so much effort and so much freedom lost for so little gain.

More than likely they have allowed themselves a clause to actively go after any connection that is logged into a public exclusion zone system allowing them to protect their infrastructure and content. Their systems will of course be protected on more than one level. Hardware destruction is still an option here.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to ashrc4

Premium Member

to ashrc4
said by ashrc4:

The option to weaponizing software to view trojanized data on private material housed either in business networks or government data banks is the desired goal from what i've read. DRM type spins offs for freely available (not private but shared) files is the tangent Emisoft seems to have taken from this.
Have i got this right?

I think so, at least essentially. But, just as with use of drones over the past 20 years or so, there would be a steady movement of the technology from the military/national-security/critical-corporate "battlefield" into the domestic scene. This is particularly true once one sets up the precedent that a private entity has some legal basis for going into somebody else's computer and uncooperatively messing with it or the files on it, and it will be only a matter of time before that 'basis' is expanded and redefined to include all manner of material. A look at the brief history of corporate misbehavior outlined in the Emsisoft article when such things didn't have any legal sanction should send a chilling message of where this all will be headed once such things become 'legally' acceptable in whatever arena.

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

This is particularly true once one sets up the precedent that a private entity has some legal basis for going into somebody else's computer and uncooperatively messing with it or the files on it......

By including private contractors and business associated with government contracts.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
It's now in the news on this site.

»Hollywood Wants Right to Use Malware Against Pirates [79] comments

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25