uniqs

mjmsr
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Lombard, IL

mjmsr

Premium Member

Thinking of dumbing Tivo

I have had Tivo for a few years. I am using the media a card supplied by Comcast and all has been working fine. My contract for Tivo is up and I really do not want to renew a contract to save 6 bucks so I am thinking about switching to Comcasts' HD DVR.

I live in the Chicago area (burbs) and am wondering what they charge for a monthly fee for their HD DVR box. In addition, are they distributing the newest boxes now or will I have to search for the newest box?

Tivo is charging 19.95/month without a contract and I cannot afford a lifetime, besides, a lifetime on a box that may die sometime is not something I like (my first premier died in 10 months).

If I can switch my box to the newest Comcast box, would I save a couple of bucks or is it a wash?

Thanks
novanosis
join:2011-02-21

novanosis

Motorola DCX 3400=300gb
Motorola DCX 3400m= 500gb
Motorola RNG200n= 500gb

Those are the newest DVRs
novanosis

novanosis to mjmsr

to mjmsr
$8 for the first DVR, $10 for the HD fee.
novanosis

novanosis to mjmsr

to mjmsr
One more thing to consider , the new X1 DVR will be out mid June from the latest news. Which is 500gb but with 5 tuners and a slick UI.
HerronScott
join:2004-12-23
Staunton, VA

1 edit

HerronScott to mjmsr

to mjmsr
You might want to call TiVo and check on that your monthly costs. If you buy a new TiVo, they are showing $14.99 per month with a 1 year contract. For my old TiVo's that I've retired, they are showing $12.95 (not counting my MSD discount since I have other TiVo's which would drop it to $9.95).

Scott

mjmsr
Premium Member
Lombard, IL

mjmsr to novanosis

Premium Member

to novanosis
I haven't been following comcast too much and really do not have any issues with tivo.

Are these dvr's in par with tivo? Does picture quality degrade at all with these?

Thanks,
novanosis
join:2011-02-21

novanosis

I cannot comment on picture quality.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to mjmsr

Premium Member

to mjmsr
Same PQ you would get with a Tivo, they are getting the same source.

mjmsr
Premium Member
Lombard, IL

mjmsr

Premium Member

Thanks everyone, this has helped....
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

If you liked your Tivo, you're really going to hate Comcast's DVRs.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to HerronScott

to HerronScott
said by HerronScott:

You might want to call TiVo and check on that your monthly costs. If you buy a new TiVo, they are showing $14.99 per month with a 1 year contract. For my old TiVo's that I've retired, they are showing $12.95 (not counting my MSD discount since I have other TiVo's which would drop it to $9.95).

Scott

That's what I'm doing currently, it's a great idea. It's 14.95 for the first TiVo, then 12.95 via the MSD for up to 9 others according to advanced billing dept. (10 is the max one can have on an account)