Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

[NHL] Stanley Cup Playoffs!

I'm still not 100% into this playoff set due to the shortened season. Sure, my team is in it, but it doesn't feel as exciting as it does after a full season.

Well, my house is now divided. With the Bruins AND the Penguins making it through to the finals, should be an interesting series! My daughter loves the Penguins, and I'm a Bruins fan.

As for the other semi-final games going on. I'm surprised the Blackhawks were having so much trouble with the Red Wings, even more surprised they were able to come back to tie the series!

Same with the Kings and Sharks. I thought the Kings would run over the Sharks, but apparently not.

So who do you think will go for finals?

My picks:

Bruins will beat the Penguins to go on to the cup finals, (4-2). Might even go to game 7.

I think the Kings will prevail against the Sharks, and go on to face the Red Wings.

The Kings will win (4-1) then go on to the cup against the Bruins, and the Bruins will win it all. (4-2)

If the Bruins fall to the Penguins, I will reluctantly root for them in the finals, and my daughter will be extremely happy to keep watching Crosby on the ice, even with his helmet of doom.

The Shadow
Premium
join:2013-04-18
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable

The SC Champion LA Kings are into the Western Conference finals after knocking off the Sharks in seven games. Once again Jonathan Quick the consensus top goalie in the NHL along with the Kings defense saved them. In this series Quick only gave up 10 goals in seven games. I think that he has the lowest save percentage and goals against average so far in the playoffs.

His performance in last years run to the championship was the greatest statistical performance by a goalie in SC history.

Unless the Kings offense steps up it will be tough for them to repeat. But if they catch fire like they did last year they will be tough to beat. Unfortunately history tells us that in these cases the former is more likely than the latter.

join:2013-04-08
reply to captokita

I'm just glad the Devil's didn't make it. I kind of hope the Bruins don't win it all since it's only 1/2 a cup but I guess that's better than nothing!

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to captokita

shortened season or not, there still some great playoff hockey going on. B's in 7 against the Pens!

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2
reply to captokita

With the Pen, Black Hawks, Bruins, and Kings as the final four, the last four Stanley Cup champions are the only remaining teams going into the conference championship series.

Has that ever happened before, hockey aficionados?
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

Yes, once.

»www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=672475

quote:
The only other time that the champions from the previous four seasons played on the final-four stage was 1945. That season, the Montreal Canadiens (1944 champions) played the Toronto Maple Leafs (1942), while the Red Wings (1943) played the Bruins (1941). Toronto and Detroit advanced to the Cup Final with Toronto winning a 2-1 decision in Game 7.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to captokita

I was kinda put off by the half season and didn't follow beyond a quick glance at scores and standings for a while but that is gone.
Glad to see the Bruins playing well. I think they'll make it to the cup.

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to captokita

Well, dang. I didn't think the Blackhawks were going to wake up and win.

Still, I see the Stanley Cup Finals being the Bruins and the Kings.

I'll be watching both games on Sat for sure.

Shortened season or not, I'm happy hockey happened. I'm not so much for a playoff/Stanley Cup this year, only because it was such a short season, but I'll take it.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

Pens and Hawks. And Marian Hossa will be denied yet another Stanley Cup.

skrud

join:2002-05-19
Barrington, IL
reply to captokita

Hossa won a cup in 10 with the Blackhawks

going to win 2nd one this year

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
reply to captokita

Pittsburgh has too much offense to lose this year..........but their goaltending might be a problem if Vokoun implodes.

Pens in 7 over the Kings..........Quick is too good for the Hawks to win that series.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to captokita

Pittsburgh in 6

The Shadow
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to The Shadow

said by The Shadow:

Unless the Kings offense steps up it will be tough for them to repeat. But if they catch fire like they did last year they will be tough to beat. Unfortunately history tells us that in these cases the former is more likely than the latter.

And indeed the former was the case in the first game in Chicago where the Kings were badly out shot and beaten 2-1. That score is pretty reflective of both wins and losses for them so far in the playoffs. Another indication of that lack scoring ability. In the first period alone Chicago out shot them 17-2. That's not going to get it done for LA--even with Quick who stopped 32 of 34 shots.

In 12 of the 14 Los Angeles playoff this year the winning team has prevailed by only one goal. Considering going into this game Quick had only allowed 10 goals in the past seven games that tells how anemic the Kings offense has been.

Today's game was indicative of the Kings strengths and weaknesses.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

Kings are 1-13 on the road in their last 14 games...........compare that to last year in the playoffs.
--

The Shadow
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Kings are 1-13 on the road in their last 14 games...........compare that to last year in the playoffs.

Yep big difference. And not good by any standard. The good stat is they have yet to lose at home.

But last year's Kings in the playoffs were one of the baddest dominating absolute juggernaut teams in a SC run of all time. For last year's playoffs they simply put it all together in every area and just steam rolled everyone except the Devils who they still beat handily in the finals. Quick put up the best goaltender stats in SC playoff history.

But...this is a different year and a different team in terms of level of performance. So far they have been getting by on the back of Quick.

sonofjay
Premium,MVM
Malden, MA

1 recommendation

reply to captokita

Tuukka, Tuukka! Pens out hit the Bruins. Bruins out shoot and out score the Pens. I don't a agree with pulling Vokoun as he's not the problem. But Fleury or Vokoun, it's back to Beantown up 2-0.
--
Mission Accomplished

Dolgan
Premium
join:2005-10-01
Sun Prairie, WI
reply to shaner

Hossa will have his second Cup after the Blackhawks beat the Bruins in 6. Penguins look like they are done already and the Kings are finding out that a good goalie with an average team cannot beat a good goalie with a good team.

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to sonofjay

said by sonofjay:

Tuukka, Tuukka! Pens out hit the Bruins. Bruins out shoot and out score the Pens. I don't a agree with pulling Vokoun as he's not the problem. But Fleury or Vokoun, it's back to Beantown up 2-0.

Rask is having an amazing series, he's really stepped up his goal tending.

I agree with you on Vokoun. Fleury was so bad at the start after that awesome shutout game 1 in the first round, I thought they'd run him out of town. Yet they were chanting for him on Monday's game, to which he almost immediately allowed a goal. lol

The Bruins treated the Penguins in that last game like the Penguins were used to treating the Senators.

Looking forward to game 3.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to captokita

Keith should be suspended for the remaining of the series for that dirty swing of the stick.............but we all know Shanahan is too chicken to do the right thing.

Pens are in a must win tonight..............they lose this game and it's over.

Vokoun has to start,too./
--

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

reply to captokita

Saw this on Jim Rome earlier. I'm not a Boston fan, but I hate Pittsburgh even worse. This was great! Nice homage to Bart Simpson

(language warning near the end)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwD_QiWPu8I

join:2013-04-08

1 edit
reply to ZZZZZZZ

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Keith should be suspended for the remaining of the series for that dirty swing of the stick.............but we all know Shanahan is too chicken to do the right thing.

Pens are in a must win tonight..............they lose this game and it's over.

Vokoun has to start,too./

They are in a MUST WIN for the next 4 games actually. There's no margin for error now.

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to captokita

Patrice Bergeron scores in double OT to put the Bs up 3-0! What a game, and what a double OT. Daughter is NOT happy. lol

Also kudos to Campbell for finishing a shift with a broken right fibula! ouch!

The Penguins played a much more harder game last night, and Vokoun was much more on his game too. That one could've gone either way. Looking forward to game 4.

The Shadow
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to captokita

Chicago handed the LA Kings their first home loss of the playoffs this year tonight, took an all most insurmountable lead of 3-1 as they return to Chicago. The Kings on the other hand have loss all but one their road games in the playoffs this year. Yet again for the Kings in winning or losing it was one goal difference game.

The Hawks scored one goal in each period. The Kings scored one goal in each of the first and second period. In the third period they only had 2 shots on goal to the Hawks 9. A micro capsule picture of the Kings problem and another example of Chicago's well rounded consistent play in most games.

In fact the Kings have only scored more than three goals in two of all their 2013 playoff games. Only Quick and the defense has gotten them far as win or lose they keep the score down. It will not be enough to get them by Chicago.

At least the Kings fans can be positive for next season as they are not that far off from being once again a championship team IMO with a few changes especially offensively.

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to captokita

So, is it safe to say the new best save percentage in an NHL playoff series is now .988 with a GAA of .5?

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to captokita

Sweep baby! Way to go McQuaid! Both goalies performed amazingly again tonight, posting 40min shutouts. Some amazing shots, and if not for Chara, that game would've been in OT when Rask went flying at the end. Daughter even more unhappy, but she's at work, so I can't rag on her til she gets home.

If the Kings don't wake up, they're gonna find themselves going home tomorrow.

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to ZZZZZZZ

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Pittsburgh has too much offense to lose this year..........but their goaltending might be a problem if Vokoun implodes.

You were saying? 2 goals the entire series. ouch.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

Shawn Thornton had more points in the BOS-PIT series than Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Iginla, Morrow and Neal....combined.

Pittsburgh has one more shot next year, and then they are going to be crippled with the number of UFAs coming due after 2013-2014 season.

UFAs: Malkin, Kunitz, Jokinen, Glass, Vitale, Orpik, Letang, Niskanen, Engelland, Vokoun
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

sonofjay
Premium,MVM
Malden, MA
reply to captokita

Sweeeeeeeeep!! That's okay Iginla, no hard feelings. The B's will give you a call with tickets to a game next week. Give Morrow a call to go, he's available too.
--
Mission Accomplished

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2
reply to captokita

Ouch.

There is an APB out here in Pittsburgh... our hockey team disappeared about a week ago and hasn't been seen since.

Errr...

Go Stillers?
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

sonofjay
Premium,MVM
Malden, MA

1 recommendation

said by rockotman: